Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>What does "Habana" mean?
dwoodward 01:09 PM 08-04-2010
I see so many cigars that have "Habana" on them... what does this mean?
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:11 PM 08-04-2010
For the most part, it's just a reference to Cuba. Not sure it really "means" anything. Unless it's actually on a Cuban cigar.
[Reply]
markem 01:12 PM 08-04-2010
Havana (Spanish: La Habana, pronounced [la aˈβana] (Image listen), officially Ciudad de La Habana,[3]) is the capital city, major port, and leading commercial centre of Cuba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habana
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:15 PM 08-04-2010
So basically it's just advertising. As in a word that people put some kind of strength to when deciding what to purchase. Makes sense.

Thanks.
[Reply]
Mugen910 01:16 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
So basically it's just advertising. As in a word that people put some kind of strength to when deciding what to purchase. Makes sense.

Thanks.
you got it!
[Reply]
T.G 01:17 PM 08-04-2010
Depends on the context.

It can refer to the use of one of the various Habana___ hybrid strains of tobacco, such as the Habana2000, sometimes called H2000. (which I believe is trademarked by Altadis, so when anyone else uses that seed, they have to call it something different) . It is more and more commonly being used to generically refer to any type of Cuban seed tobacco.

Or, sometimes, it's just tossed into the name of the cigar to make it sound good for marketing purposes.

Some manufacturers put it on the band, maybe for history, maybe for marketing, maybe to pay tribute, I dunno, you'd have to ask them, I'm sure reasons vary.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:23 PM 08-04-2010
Just to add to what has been said.............

In the cigar world, Habana is short for La Habana, the full name of the capital of Cuba and my birthplace, whose actual full name was initially San Cristobal de La Habana.

In English, it is written as just "Havana".

To place it on a cigar band is generally to represent some sort of affiliation/origin with that city/country. On cigar bands, generally means they are Cuban.
On other non Cuban products, generally means they have some origin to the country, such as cigars of Cuban seeds, grown elsewhere or cigars manufactured by individuals of Cuban origin.
[Reply]
Kreth 01:24 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:

Thanks.
In many cases, yes. In some cases, Habana or Habano is used because the cigar contains "Cuban-seed" tobacco.

Edit: Not only did Carlos beat me to it, he put it more eloquently, to boot... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Up