Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Real Story behind Los Blancos NINE
tx_tuff 12:24 PM 08-01-2010
The story of the Los Blancos NINE

Most of you know about the Los Blancos NINE hitting the cigar scene at the IPCPR show in 2009. It made a huge splash: a full body, full flavor “hit-you-in-the-face” cigar coming from a company that makes mostly medium body smokes. So why would a cigar manufacturer just up and change what they are doing? It normally doesn't work that way, does it? If that was your first thought, you would be right.

Back in 2008, a good friend of mine spent a lot of time traveling between San Antonio and Houston . It was after one of these trips that he brought back some cigars he was excited as hell to share with me: The Los Blancos NINE. He told me his friend who worked at a cigar shop in San Antonio had blended it, and it was so good that the shop now carried the cigar. The funny part is, he said it was STRONG! I was doubtful and thought, “Come on . . . from Los Blancos?” Well he was right. It was a strong, flavorful cigar.

Forward to around this time last year. The 2009 IPCPR event had just happened and all over the cigar forums I was hearing about this awesome, new cigar from Los Blancos called the NINE. What? New? I had smoked that cigar over a year ago. In fact I still had one in my humidor, and I know I didn't go to the IPCPR show! I posted as much as I could that these cigars were not new, but to no avail. Recently, I had a Los Blancos rep ask me if I wanted to review some of their cigars and post on a couple cigar forums. I jumped at the chance with the intention of telling the true story of the Los Blancos NINE and settling the matter once and for all.

So here, my friends, is how the Los Blancos NINE began. It started back in 2006 when David Blanco was giving away trips to visit his Nicaraguan factory in September of that same year. One shop in San Antonio , C.I.G.A.R., was part of this give away. They had decided to give some of the trips way to their most loyal members, one of them being a young man named Joe Torres. Not only was Joe given a trip for being a great member of his B&M, but he was also given a job at C.I.G.A.R. before he left for Nicaragua. (My friend Bo here in Houston also won a trip from David Blanco and Richmond Ave Cigars. I have to credit Bo because without him I would know none of this story.)

I recently talked to Joe Torres who is still working for C.I.G.A.R. in San Antonio as the manager of their new second location. Before the trip, Joe talked to the owner of the shop about blending them a house cigar once he got to Nicaragua. This was a big deal because even though Joe was a cigar lover he had never blended a cigar before. The owner gave him the go-ahead to try it out. The trip went as planned, and in September 2006, Joe's dreams came true: he got to work with the Master Blender of Los Blancos Cigars. Knowing Spanish made it easy for Joe to talk to him and get his idea across as to what kind of blend he wanted. Unlike anything that Los Blancos made, Joe wanted a full body, full flavor smoke that would make you stand up and take notice. He enjoyed a lot of the full body cigars on the market, but at the same time he wanted something original and all his own. Joe told the master blender he liked full body cigars, so the blender threw one together for him in order to find out what Joe considered “full body.” After Joe pretty much laughed at that cigar being called a full body cigar, the master blender now understood Joe’s vision. He talked with Joe about all the different tobaccos they had, where they where grown, the strength of them, etc. With this information, Joe set to work blending cigars, using the Toro 6 x 50 size as his platform. After eight attempts at creating his perfect full body flavor, Joe finally achieved the blend he was after, and it was naturally called “the NINE.”

In order for Los Blancos to make the NINE for C.I.G.A.R., the B&M had to commit to a batch of 5000 cigars. Joe once again was able to talk the owner into it. However, the only catch was breaking down the NINE into four sizes. So the Los Blancos NINE started off as a C.I.G.A.R. exclusive in four sizes, Robusto, Double Corona , Toro, and Torpedo. Now they have added a new Lancero size to the mix. As soon as they hit the C.I.G.A.R. shelves in November of 2007, they became the number one selling cigar at the B&M, selling out in just 4 months. David Blanco set up a visit for the grand release of the new, sought after cigar. Once there, David sat down with Joe and told him he wanted to distribute his cigar nationally! Joe and David became partners which ultimately led to the NINE finally being released at the IPCPR show in 2009. With the Los Blancos NINE now getting ready for its 3rd year anniversary at C.I.G.A.R., Joe will be working with Los Blancos to get another cigar/cigars on the market. "We liked some of the other first eight blends and may tweak a couple of them. And we may also come out with something stronger," he told me. So if the NINE isn't strong enough for you, keep your eyes peeled for something stronger coming from Los Blancos thanks to the hands and palate of Joe Torres!

A original release Torpedo with the new size Lancero

Notice the C.I.G.A.R. foot band on the original release cigar versus the NINE foot band now on the cigars.

Now a review on the NINE Lancero
Cigar: Los Blancos NINE
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Oscuro Corojo
Binder: Jalapa Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero
Size: Lancero 7 x 38
Retail: My local does not carry the lancero but other sizes $6.90 to $8.40

Pre-light/Appearance:
A long slender cigar with a dark chocolate rough looking wrapper that has a slight oil shine to it. The cigar is firm from the uneven capped head down to the foot with no soft spots. Just like the rest of the Los Blancos line the cigar has two bands, but the NINE's looks much better. This is because the bright colors and gold have been replaced by black and silver, plus the footband has a simple NINE instead of another family crest. Wrapper has a cedar scent while the foot is of rich tobacco, the prelight draw was a little tight with sweet tobacco.

1st third:
On the very first puff I got some pepper on the tongue and a wood flavor, seems like the next few puffs the flavor changed every time from a oak wood to a nutty flavor next leather and then cedar all along with the pepper on my tonuge. Was kind of worried about the draw but once light I never had any problems with it. The first third burned great with a good ash and plenty of smoke. The flavor changed again to coffee bean with a touch of sweetness before fading to a sweet leather and pepper moving from tongue to the back of my palate.

2nd Third:
Flavor once again does some changing on me starting out with a dark cocoa then moving to a roasted nut then settling into a roasted coffee with sweet leather. I know that sounds crazy but the sweetness is on the leather instead of with the coffee. You get a real flavor boost from the retrohale Once again the spice of the cigar also moves around starting at the back of my palate but moving to the top of it before this third is over. The burn is still great and I am enjoying this cigar so much that I'm trying hard not to smoke it to fast! The very end of this third added some cocoa.

Last third:
More of a straight leather with a hint of cocoa and coffee on the finish. The pepper that turned to spice and moved to the top of my palate in the 2nd third is now back on my tongue but more of an afterthought then an assault. At this point into the cigar getting a ton of flavorful smoke! Have not had any issues with the NINE at all. The cigar finished with a leather and cocoa kick with some spice, nubbed this baby!

Final thought:
The smoke took me a very enjoyable hour and 14 minutes to finish.
Not much more I can say besides this was one of the best lanercos I have ever smoked. The cigar burned perfect from start to finish, the draw went from good to perfect about have way through producing great flavorful smoke and a nice ash. Along with the nice flavors was the pepper/spice that moved around in my mouth/palate. Don't think I have ever had a cigar do that before. This is a full body cigar and would give a hell of a buzz in a larger ring gauge. No doubt that the NINE is the shinning star in the Los Blancos line and if you have not smoked the NINE stop waiting and get one now.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 12:33 PM 08-01-2010
Thanks for the review. Where does one acquire these?
[Reply]
tx_tuff 12:38 PM 08-01-2010
Try your locals, if no luck you can get all but the lancero size at www.seriouscigars.com The lancero was given to me, if all else falls call C.I.G.A.R. in San Antonio http://www.cigar-sa.com/
[Reply]
mariogolbee 12:44 PM 08-01-2010
Thanks. I'm fairly certain my local B&M's don't carry this brand. I'll use the contact info you just gave me though.
[Reply]
BTcigars 03:38 PM 08-01-2010
Nice review. I have my Nine Lancero resting for now. Very tempting though.
[Reply]
leafandale 09:20 PM 08-01-2010
Seems I had heard a "rough" version of this, but without the reference to the B&M you mention. Leaf & Ale is also looking at having Los Blancos blend a cigar as well.
[Reply]
Chingas 10:12 PM 08-01-2010
That was a great story. I've seen these only in the recent purchase thread from a great BOTL but I know my B&M does not carry them.
[Reply]
tx_tuff 09:24 AM 08-02-2010
Find one somewhere and if you like talk the B&M into getting them. I have reviewed two other Los Blancos recently and the NINE is the best of the bunch!
[Reply]
kydsid 09:46 AM 08-02-2010
When I moved back to Texas in late 08 I went to CIGAR one weekend I was in SA. The guy working that day handed me a cigar. Wonder if that was Joe and if it was this one?

It was good if not put me on my ass, because of empty stomach cigar. Now that I know Serious has them I'll have to stop by the store. Are they available at both of Serious' locations?
[Reply]
issues 09:51 AM 08-02-2010
Great story and review Frank!

I too enjoyed the Nine. It was my first review on CA (my first review ever really)...

Now if I could just locate a Nine Lancero. :-)
[Reply]
tx_tuff 09:52 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
When I moved back to Texas in late 08 I went to CIGAR one weekend I was in SA. The guy working that day handed me a cigar. Wonder if that was Joe and if it was this one?

It was good if not put me on my ass, because of empty stomach cigar. Now that I know Serious has them I'll have to stop by the store. Are they available at both of Serious' locations?
I don't know if they have them at both locations, I have only been to the 2nd location once and that was a couple months ago.
[Reply]
tx_tuff 09:53 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by issues:
Great story and review Frank!

I too enjoyed the Nine. It was my first review on CA (my first review ever really)...

Now if I could just locate a Nine Lancero. :-)
Maybe in a couple weeks they will be landing.
[Reply]
kydsid 11:35 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by tx_tuff:
I don't know if they have them at both locations, I have only been to the 2nd location once and that was a couple months ago.
I take it by second you mean the one up in the woodlands? That is probably good since I am moving to Webster and the woodland is too far, lol. I plan on stopping by the Galleria? location at least once a month or so. :-)
[Reply]
tx_tuff 12:20 PM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
I take it by second you mean the one up in the woodlands? That is probably good since I am moving to Webster and the woodland is too far, lol. I plan on stopping by the Galleria? location at least once a month or so. :-)
No the second location is by the Galleria, the first location is not in The Woodlands but on 1960 in Champions area. The Champions location is much larger and the one I go to the most. They have a large lounge with big TV, free Golden Tee a freaking ton of cigars and even lockers you can rent at $100 a year. Also has a wine bar beside it (he owns that as well). Locations http://www.seriouscigars.com/our_store.aspx
[Reply]
Garbandz 04:26 PM 08-03-2010
I smoked a Nine toro from the Cigar Expo,I was surprised at the fullness and the aromas of this stick. When I heard it was from Los Blancos I couldn't believe it. They have a winner here,rich and flavorful,not too strong,and priced right............Thanks for the rest of the story..........
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:06 PM 08-07-2010
I had the toro last night and I have to say that I was impressed.
[Reply]
Up