Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Oh No, No Ho Ho!
markem 08:30 AM 11-16-2012
Just as we start to get legalized pot, too :-)

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/11/...-liquidate/?hp

Hostess Brands, the bankrupt maker of cream-filled pastries like Twinkies and Ho Hos, said on Friday that it planned to wind down its operations and sell off its portfolio of well-known brands. The decision comes a week after one of the company’s biggest unions went on strike to protest a labor contract.

Friday’s decision spells the end of Hostess, an 82-year-old company that has endured wars, countless diet fads and even an earlier Chapter 11 filing. As the national appetite for the junk food waned, the baked-goods maker fell on hard times.
Ogre 08:53 AM 11-16-2012
Now that sucks. Even if someone steps in and buys the name, it's not going to be the same.
Robulous78 08:55 AM 11-16-2012
That sucks...
CigarNut 09:07 AM 11-16-2012
It's been decades since I had any of Hostess products, but I sure did love them when I was younger...
CRIMPS 09:10 AM 11-16-2012
Opinions from fellow company employees were very similar. Everyone talked about how they loved Hostess snacks, how they seemed to be so nostalgic. Everyone agreed, though, they hadn't had one in years.
gorob23 09:19 AM 11-16-2012
:-) I hated them... really, I don't know how they survived this long. :-)

But I was spoiled. Mom stayed home raised 7 kids while dad worked. Mom always made homemade things that were absolutely the best... :-)

Rob :-)
MajorCaptSilly 09:22 AM 11-16-2012
I will have to enjoy a Twinkie sandwiched between two Suzi-Q's to mourn my loss.

MCS
markem 09:24 AM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by gorob23:
Mom always made homemade things that were absolutely the best... :-)
Well sure. She made you.
iaMkcK 09:38 AM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by markem:
Well sure. She made you.
Dawww, that was nice.

Seriously though: You can literally hear the sound of beached whales agonizing screams.
icehog3 09:41 AM 11-16-2012
Never a big Twinkie fan, but I ate my share of Ding Dongs growing up.

Wait a minute.....that just sounds wrong. :-)
sikk50 09:43 AM 11-16-2012
I like them when I was a pup. Haven't had any in years either, but they are kind of an American staple. Its a shame. I hope those losing their livelihoods don't stay displaced for long.
Robulous78 10:10 AM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by sikk50:
I like them when I was a pup. Haven't had any in years either, but they are kind of an American staple. Its a shame. I hope those losing their livelihoods don't stay displaced for long.
If they were part of the union that caused it, they get what they deserve :-)
Blak Smyth 10:13 AM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Never a big Twinkie fan, but I ate my share of Ding Dongs growing up.

Wait a minute.....that just sounds wrong. :-)
Sig line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
massphatness 10:17 AM 11-16-2012
<<<<< Ho Ho Fan Boy

Lived on those things back in college
jluck 11:44 AM 11-16-2012
What a bummer....I loved the twinkies back in the day!

Originally Posted by Robulous78:
If they were part of the union that caused it, they get what they deserve :-)
How did you come up with this Rob? :-)
Robulous78 11:57 AM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
What a bummer....I loved the twinkies back in the day!

How did you come up with this Rob? :-)

Hostess Brands, the bankrupt maker of cream-filled pastries like Twinkies and Ho Hos, said on Friday that it planned to wind down its operations and sell off its portfolio of well-known brands. The decision comes a week after one of the company’s biggest unions went on strike to protest a labor contract.

Friday’s decision spells the end of Hostess, an 82-year-old company that has endured wars, countless diet fads and even an earlier Chapter 11 filing. As the national appetite for the junk food waned, the baked-goods maker fell on hard times.
:-)
jluck 12:04 PM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
:-)
All I see there is a week after a strike the "company" (non union management) closes shop. I don't think a week old strike would kill a long standing large company. Management side of company deals with budgets and marketing so I just don't think "The union boys" killed the company in a week.

This ultra common scenario is probably more to blame...
"top executives at the firm have received significant pay bumps, while at the same time asking for concessions from workers."

>>>Thread Jack off<<<<>>>>SORRY!<<<<
Robulous78 12:09 PM 11-16-2012

Unions can't ask for more pay or dispute contracts when a company is already bankrupt... if they do/did, they are biting the hand that feeds IMHO, then the company goes belly up... guess they got their answer... :-)
Robulous78 12:10 PM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
>>>Thread Jack off<<<<>>>>SORRY!<<<<
What does this mean anyway?
shilala 12:29 PM 11-16-2012
I don't want to imagine a world without Twinkies.
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up