Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>NC Davidoffs
Goldie 10:55 PM 09-01-2010
I have never had the chance to smoke one, and just based on the price point, it will likely be a long time before I get the chance.

It is hard for me to justify spending so much on a cigar, but I guess if they are really this good, maybe it will be a good smoke for when I graduate next year. I have been thinking I would like to pick up something special for the occasion.
[Reply]
awsmith4 11:15 PM 09-01-2010
I guess I need to revisit these. The thousand series I've had were grassy as mentioned above so maybe I need to get some to age. The Millennium blends I've has were just ok but again very young. I will say the Maduro Robusto I had, thanks to PapaJohn, was fantastic.
[Reply]
jmsremax 07:01 AM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by Goldie:
I have never had the chance to smoke one, and just based on the price point, it will likely be a long time before I get the chance.

It is hard for me to justify spending so much on a cigar, but I guess if they are really this good, maybe it will be a good smoke for when I graduate next year. I have been thinking I would like to pick up something special for the occasion.

I hear ya Drew....I can think of many other great smokes a half the retail of this stick. I can't justify the extra cost.
[Reply]
DBall 07:34 AM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I guess I need to revisit these. The thousand series I've had were grassy as mentioned above so maybe I need to get some to age. The Millennium blends I've has were just ok but again very young. I will say the Maduro Robusto I had, thanks to PapaJohn, was fantastic.
You really need to sit on them for a time... it becomes a totally different cigar. I wanna try one at 5, 10, 20 years out... I wonder if they'll age as well as their habanos counterparts did.
[Reply]
papajohn67 10:14 AM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by jmsremax:
I hear ya Drew....I can think of many other great smokes a half the retail of this stick. I can't justify the extra cost.
Your correct, their are ton's of really great sticks out there for far less $$'s. But they are not Davidoff's and if you have the itch you will pay dearly to scratch it. Recently broke out a Davidoff Especial Seleccion 702, OMG it was wonderful.
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 10:16 AM 09-02-2010
Love Davidoffs, but of course for the price they are a rare treat.
[Reply]
HK3- 11:48 AM 09-02-2010
The few I have had were pretty good. When my mother passed away last year I received her humidor from my dad which contained a davidoff among other sticks. Not sure how old it was but it was by far my favorite. If I had to guess, it was atleast four years old.

Yes, the price on some of them are a real kick in the pants.
[Reply]
d'am 01:39 PM 09-02-2010
I've been reading a little about Henke Kelner lately, and I'd like to try something of his. From what little I can find, if I want something medium to full bodied, it'll have to be a Davidoff. Or do any of their "lesser" brands have any of the features that Davidoff is noted for? There's not a whole lot said about Zino, Griffins, etc. around here.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:16 PM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by d'am:
Or do any of their "lesser" brands have any of the features that Davidoff is noted for?
There's some Avo stuff that gets into the medium range. I can't vouch for it, as I've only ever spent any time with the classic Avo line which is about as mild as they come.
[Reply]
papajohn67 02:53 PM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
There's some Avo stuff that gets into the medium range. I can't vouch for it, as I've only ever spent any time with the classic Avo line which is about as mild as they come.
Give the new Avo LE-10 a shot.
[Reply]
krevo 02:58 PM 09-02-2010
I pretty much agree. I like both the Davidoff and WC lines very much. They come off as cedary/leathery to me which I really like.
[Reply]
darkleeroy 03:09 PM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by d'am:
I've been reading a little about Henke Kelner lately, and I'd like to try something of his. From what little I can find, if I want something medium to full bodied, it'll have to be a Davidoff. Or do any of their "lesser" brands have any of the features that Davidoff is noted for? There's not a whole lot said about Zino, Griffins, etc. around here.
The Winston Churchill cigars, the ones I mentioned as being one of the ones I enjoy, are in the dead set medium range.

I doubt anything coming from the Davidoff factories would be at the most barely scratching at full; they seem to favor flavor over body anyways.
[Reply]
Darrell 03:11 PM 09-02-2010
The Millennium Blend is good, but too pricey. :-)
[Reply]
krevo 06:45 PM 09-02-2010
The Zino line is light bodied, and cedary. It's not bad, but it's oh so one dimensional.
[Reply]
papajohn67 09:19 PM 09-02-2010
Originally Posted by darkleeroy:
The Winston Churchill cigars, the ones I mentioned as being one of the ones I enjoy, are in the dead set medium range.

I doubt anything coming from the Davidoff factories would be at the most barely scratching at full; they seem to favor flavor over body anyways.
Give the new Puro d Oro a try. Not your fathers Davidoff.
[Reply]
Chingas 03:41 AM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
Give the new Puro d Oro a try. Not your fathers Davidoff.
Those are the only Davidoffs I had and they were great.
[Reply]
srduggins 11:11 AM 09-03-2010
I'm surprised to hear so many people liking these. I've always heard the exact opposite before. I've tried the Millenium series with some age - the pc - and was blown away. I tried a fresher one - robusto - and it wasn't nearly as good. I also tried the Gran Cru and noted the grassy flavor and thought it might be better with some rest. Good to hear that should be true. I was gifted a Puro D'Oro - thanks Jimmy - but was letting it rest a little before trying. It's probably time as it sounds like this one doesn't need to age like the others.

For a real treat, the Diademas Finas is superb.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 11:41 AM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by srduggins:
I'm surprised to hear so many people liking these. I've always heard the exact opposite before. I've tried the Millenium series with some age - the pc - and was blown away. I tried a fresher one - robusto - and it wasn't nearly as good. I also tried the Gran Cru and noted the grassy flavor and thought it might be better with some rest. Good to hear that should be true. I was gifted a Puro D'Oro - thanks Jimmy - but was letting it rest a little before trying. It's probably time as it sounds like this one doesn't need to age like the others.

For a real treat, the Diademas Finas is superb.

Got one on the top shelf of the humi waiting for me :-)
[Reply]
JohnE1000 09:39 AM 09-07-2010
I gotta try them
[Reply]
weak_link 10:23 AM 09-07-2010
Originally Posted by krevo:
I pretty much agree. I like both the Davidoff and WC lines very much. They come off as cedary/leathery to me which I really like.
+1 on this. I really enjoy the Aniversario Line as well as the Original and the Thousands. Don't really care for the Millenium at all, like not even a little bit.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up