Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Hygromter broken?
chinotatbeer 08:33 AM 09-04-2010
I did the salt/water in a bag with my hygromter but its been like 12 hours and its reading 100. It isn't a digital hygromter.
i assume its broken? I have had it for 5 years and it used to work.
Any suggestions?
[Reply]
pnoon 08:35 AM 09-04-2010
Originally Posted by chinotatbeer:
I did the salt/water in a bag with my hygromter but its been like 12 hours and its reading 100. It isn't a digital hygromter.
i assume its broken? I have had it for 5 years and it used to work.
Any suggestions?
Toss it and buy yourself a digital. :-)

Welcome to Cigar Asylum. You should head on over to the New Inmate forum and post an introduction.
[Reply]
bigdix 08:36 AM 09-04-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Toss it and buy yourself a digital. :-)

Welcome to Cigar Asylum. You should head on over to the New Inmate forum and post an introduction.
:-)
[Reply]
Ranger_B 09:20 AM 09-04-2010
:-)
There is a good chance it never was working in the first place.
[Reply]
bigliver 09:54 AM 09-04-2010
Instead, you could gently place said hygrometer in the garbage receptacle and proceed with great expedience to any vendor to replace said hygrometer with one of a more digital nature.
[Reply]
Prospector 11:27 AM 09-04-2010
Agree with everything stated above - get yourself a digital. Cigar Monster (http://www.cigarmonster.com/) has been showing digitals on-and-off recently for a good price with free shipping. Check out their mash-ups at the end of each day to see if you can pick one up.
[Reply]
chinotatbeer 12:38 PM 09-04-2010
Okay thanks everyone. I been reading about those little havana's digital hyrometers?
Any opinions on them?
I am just a casual smoker, so i will only have like 10 cigars in my humidor at a time.
[Reply]
Bill86 02:15 PM 09-04-2010
If you're only having 10 at a time, I'd say get any decent digital hygrometer. CI has them for $15-$20.
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 06:31 PM 09-04-2010
Get yourself a nice digital hygrometer. They are cheap anyways, and it is always a plus to spend a little extra on the accessories in order to not ruin your smokes by allowing them to over-dry or humidify due to a faulty hygrometer in which you were too lazy to replace. Check Atlantic Cigar Company, they have nice cheap but quality ones.
[Reply]
KetelOne 06:37 PM 09-04-2010
For an extra 5 bucks or so, I'd pick up the Boveda calibration kit. I calibrated a brand new digital hygrometer and found that it was reading about 15% to low. Needless to say, I returned it and got a functioning one :-)
[Reply]
XTRazzer 08:43 PM 09-04-2010
The salt test works well, but like KetelOne I still get the Boveda Calibration Kit from time-to-time.

As far as digital hygrometers are concerned, I'm happy with Xikar. Doesn't take up a lot of space and is very easy to calibrate. Best part is the warranty. I had one go bad, sent it to Xikar, and it was replaced with a new unit. Don't exactly recall the turn time but a company willing to stand behind their products does mean something.
[Reply]
chinotatbeer 06:39 PM 09-05-2010
Thanks.
[Reply]
Zulu 05:42 PM 09-09-2010
Get yourself a programable hydrometer...that way if your Boveda Calibration Kit shows that the hydro is a bit off you can adjust it.
[Reply]
hotreds 05:58 PM 09-09-2010
For ten cigars I wouldn't bother with a hygrometer. Just get a 65% Boveda pack to go in your humi. Once you decide to take the plunge and spend bigger bucks, THEN I'd get the hygro. But for ten cigars, it's not worth it, IMO.
[Reply]
Chemyst 11:40 PM 09-09-2010
I have a Little Havana 'Perfecto' hygrometer, and it has always tested spot on!
I also have a couple HygroSets and a Don Salvatore or two. The Little Havana
models are often 'sold out', so go with a HygroSet. They were on CigarMonster
for $17 with free shipping, recently. Keep checking.

The Csonkas seem to be nice, too. A buddy has one.

If you use beads you shouldn't need to worry too much about rh, until you find a
digital hygro.

Chemyst :-)

BTW, there might be an adjusting screw on the back of the analog hygro. Turn
it until it reads 75%.
[Reply]
clintgeek 01:13 AM 09-25-2010
The cheapie Walmart ones work great if you salt test them first. I have several and just labeled them as "Add 3%" or whatever. Hard to beat for $6.
[Reply]
cigarsatyourpric 03:49 AM 09-25-2010
Xikar makes a nice one that has digital temp as well. Nice thing about Xikar is they are warranted for life.
[Reply]
Up