Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cannot get humidity down..
B-RiZzY 01:35 PM 06-07-2012
I've had my humidor for over two weeks now, and I cannot seem to get my humidity down. I have a Savoy medium sized humidor with a sponge humidifier (that came with it). I have left it open for hours at a time, and the humidity is still reading around 74-76%. I am using my analog hydrometer as well as my digital hydrometer, both reading the same RH.

I cannot figure out what exactly to do. I don't want to leave it open too long and dry it out completely.

Does anyone know of a way to get this problem solved once and for all? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
htown 01:38 PM 06-07-2012
Have you calibrated either one of your hygrometers?
[Reply]
B-RiZzY 01:39 PM 06-07-2012
Yes, I calibrated my analog one. My digital has no calibration settings.
[Reply]
dave 01:39 PM 06-07-2012
More input, Stephanie.....

What's the ambient humidity there? Tried taking out the 'sponge'? Consider beads. Hygros been calibrated? If so, how?
[Reply]
dave 01:40 PM 06-07-2012
Calibrated how? Doesn't require settings - just a benchmark source
[Reply]
smitty81 01:41 PM 06-07-2012
Get rid of the sponge and get beads. The beads will absorb the excess moisture and find the happy median.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:41 PM 06-07-2012
Calibrate the digital using the salt test (can be searched out here easily) or a Boveda pack. Ditch the sponge and get some shilala beads from CigarNut here.
[Reply]
area51 01:42 PM 06-07-2012
You may have to let it dry out a bit. You said your using the sponge that camd with it? Dump the sponge get some boveda packs or beads. The sponge is over humidifying it.
[Reply]
B-RiZzY 01:45 PM 06-07-2012
I used the salt test to calibrate my analog hydrometer (which I did twice to make sure it was properly calibrated). My digital hydrometer is reading the same thing as my analog, so it does not need calibrated. I used the salt test to calibrate my analog hydrometer.

I will get a bead humidifier here shortly. I have been looking around locally for them, but I cannot find them anywhere. Are they only available online?
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:48 PM 06-07-2012
Not sure what you can get locally as I do not know what your local B&M's carry. As for online you can get Heartfelt beads here: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/ and my HCM beads here: http://www.hcmcigarbeads.com/.

I am biased :-) but both are good products.
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:51 PM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by B-RiZzY:
I used the salt test to calibrate my analog hydrometer (which I did twice to make sure it was properly calibrated). My digital hydrometer is reading the same thing as my analog, so it does not need calibrated. I used the salt test to calibrate my analog hydrometer.

I will get a bead humidifier here shortly. I have been looking around locally for them, but I cannot find them anywhere. Are they only available online?
I use Heartfelt beads, and to the best of my limited knowledge, yes, but they ship super quick and have outstanding customer service.
[Reply]
B-RiZzY 08:29 PM 06-07-2012
Okay, thank you everyone. I'll be placing my order shortly!
[Reply]
WittyUserName 09:27 PM 06-07-2012
Okay, thank you everyone. I'll be placing my order shortly!
Beads are the best cigar investment I have made. Nice choice. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 01:29 PM 06-18-2012
I used the salt test to calibrate my analog hydrometer
Well there you go, that's your trouble. What YOU need to get is one of them hyGROMeters.
You'll be reading right in no time. :-)

Ditch the foam, baby....

As for the stores, they don't like carrying the beads. They are bad for business. They can't
sell you a puck humidifier to replace your old clogged one that was useless when it was new, too.
They can't sell you humidification solution. They can't sell you cigars to replace the split ones
you got using their foam pucks...
[Reply]
B-RiZzY 01:52 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
Well there you go, that's your trouble. What YOU need to get is one of them hyGROMeters.
You'll be reading right in no time. :-)

Ditch the foam, baby....

As for the stores, they don't like carrying the beads. They are bad for business. They can't
sell you a puck humidifier to replace your old clogged one that was useless when it was new, too.
They can't sell you humidification solution. They can't sell you cigars to replace the split ones
you got using their foam pucks...
Feel like an absolute fool spelling it wrong all of this time. Had no idea that there were two different types of guages with a name that sounds exactly the same. Needless to say, I have HYGROMETERS :-).

I got my RH going good for right now until my humidifier comes in by using the Bodeva packets that Ashton sent me to temporarely use. I bought one of the Heartfelt humidifiers, but I'm still waiting for it to come it. Should be here this week.

Thanks all!!
[Reply]
Up