Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor. With pics of course.
Sadden 12:44 PM 05-29-2012
Hello everyone. Ive been delving into cigars more and more over the past year. Now with some expenive ones starting to drift in i had to actually go buy a humidor (such a tragedy :-))

So ive been seasoning it for 3 days. when i woke up this morning it had stayed a perfect 70RH all night. Opened it up , it dropped to 60RH , I closed the lid and 10 minutes later was back at 70RH. Which was technically perfect. I decided that it might be ready to see a few sticks. I added a few sticks (not quite half capacity) and it took a nosedive to 58. And has slowly over the course of 4 hours climbed to 60.

Here in Alberta we have near 0% RH year round. The humidor itself was not stored in a ideal place when i purchased it. The cigars too where starting to dry out as they were not in a humidor.

My question is , will it catch up over a couple days? Or should i re season it for awhile longer and make a makeshift tuppordoor to give the cigars a head start on re humidifying them?

Thanks in advance for your input , and here are some pictures.
Left- Punch
Middle - Romeo Y Julieta Puritos
Right - Romeo Y Julieta Churchills

Bare Bones

Packed

I have another brick of 50 puritos i dont want to crack open till after i get this thing stabilized.
Any advice is welcome/appreciated.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 01:32 PM 05-29-2012
The cigars themselves are absorbing the humidity. That's pretty much par for this exercise. Expect it to take several days and more efforts to stabilize with the cigars in it. On a plus note, once it stabilizes with cigars in it, the cigars themselves will help to keep the humidity stable.

Just a FYI, I maintain my humidors using 65% beads, which generally keeps my humis between 63 and 66%, which gives me less smoking problems than higher humidity levels like 70%. Something you might consider down the road if you find smaller diameter sticks having more blockage and draw issues).
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:32 PM 05-29-2012
Congrats on the new humi!

You really should season it for at least a week. There are many threads on seasoning here (for example: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620); Search is your friend.

Also, glass lids are notorious for leaks -- make sure that the seal between the glass and the wood is good. You might want to add some silicone (or other aquarium/food grade) sealant.

As you become more involved in the hobby you may want to replace the humidifier with some beads (there are lots to choose from).

Finally, this hobby requires patience. You should avoid rushing though things like seasoning. The more thorough you are up front the better off you will be in the long run. Just my :-)
[Reply]
OLS 02:39 PM 05-29-2012
I see that you considered duct tape at one point, lol.

I wish I had your cigars. As people who know much better than me have said, you will be fine. I'd get myself
some of those 65% beads and rock on. If it happens that you do not like your cigars, send them right along to
me, I like em all.....
[Reply]
Sadden 10:11 PM 05-29-2012
Thanks guys.

I didnt feel like i was rushing it , just based on the fact that it stayed stable for a full 24 hours , and it was not staining anymore when i wiped it down. I let it sit like that for a day and a night , seemed 100% stable in the morning so i figured it was ready. It was down to 58 when i got home from work 10 minutes ago. I think its just the cigars , they were quite dry.
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:41 PM 05-30-2012
Season for atleast a week minimum. 2 weeks is best.

I'd take your cigars out and put them in a tupperware or some other container that seals very well, plastic ziplock bags will work. Then continue seasoning for another week. That cedar will absorb a ton of moisture, much more than most people think.
[Reply]
Big Bert 07:58 PM 05-30-2012
Id take your cigars and put them in a shipping box with my address written on it then legs them at a post office that will get your rh up and make me happy :-) no just kidding just do as everyone has said and you'll be fine also Congrats on the buy it looks real nice :-)
[Reply]
Sadden 09:48 PM 05-30-2012
Yeah , ive been monitering it all day. Im pretty sure the Humi needs more time. Time to make a larger tupordoor and continue seasoning.

Its been struggling to stay above 50 all day with a full humidfier. Opened it up and the seal has dried out as well. Probaly partially from the cigars absorbings a crapload of moisture and partially because the cedar was not ready. Thats okay though. Ill get it sorted.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:53 PM 05-30-2012
It's more likely the wood than the cigars. It takes time for cigars to absorb moisture...
[Reply]
Sadden 01:01 AM 06-01-2012
Well i made a tupordoor , and am re seasoning my humidor. Just found a beetle hole in my buddies collection so now my whole collection is being froze along with his. Only one damaged cigar , but this is all it will take to make me go to a 100% freeze rule.

Also think that the R&J churchills are counterfeit....
[Reply]
OLS 01:38 PM 06-18-2012
Counterfeit??

If it's a BANDS issue, not to worry, the band has changed from what you may be comparing it to.
The cigars LOOK great, nice and greasy. I am sure we would all be interested in hearing your
ideas on the counterfeits. We love a good detective story.
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:43 PM 06-18-2012
And so it begins. :-)
[Reply]
area51 04:52 PM 06-18-2012
Is it just me or does that humidifier look like it may be "too much"?
[Reply]
Up