Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Coffee Discussion>Fresh Roast Plus 8
Hardcz 07:00 PM 03-04-2009
I got this fresh roast plus 8 machine for inside home roasting today... naughty botls....anyways... :-):-):-)

Was hoping you guys could estimate in telling me what state of doneness you think this is? I heard a definate loud first crack roughly 3-3.5 minutes and around 5-5.5 a faster and less loud second crack I'd only imagine.

Here's a pic with and without flash.

[Reply]
germantown rob 07:39 AM 03-07-2009
It is very hard to get any indication of roast level from your pictures, not an easy thing to photograph.

Take a look at these pictures at Sweet Maria's so you can compare your roasts to these.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.html
[Reply]
Fumes 04:57 PM 03-07-2009
I'd guess by the oil this was at least FC+, maybe vienna. That's just a guess though. It takes some practice to tell roast levels because the type of roaster and the type of bean are both variables that are hard to predict until you get to know them. What really matters though: How'd it taste?
[Reply]
Hardcz 05:46 PM 03-07-2009
Hmmm guess I'll need to figure out what the various levels are from experience...

Taste, it was good, hard to tell though, had been getting over a head cold.
[Reply]
ashtonlady 08:44 PM 03-07-2009
Hard cracking that sounds like popcorn is the first crack, the lighter is the 2nd crack and if you don't want burnt beans you don't want to go past this one.
[Reply]
Fumes 11:17 AM 03-08-2009
Originally Posted by ashtonlady:
Hard cracking that sounds like popcorn is the first crack, the lighter is the 2nd crack and if you don't want burnt beans you don't want to go past this one.
:-)

Past the start of second crack and you're in FC territory, very soon into FC+. The sugars in the bean are carbonizing, the beans are getting oily, and you're probably seeing and smelling strong smoke.

Originally Posted by :
Hmmm guess I'll need to figure out what the various levels are from experience...
You're right -- experimentation is the best way to go. Photos of roast levels are really hard to interpret.
[Reply]
novasurf 03:14 PM 03-08-2009
Second crack sounds like rice krispies in milk.
All the best on your new venture.....Bwhahahahaaahhaaaaa!
[Reply]
Volt 03:16 PM 03-08-2009
Not to bust on ya or nothing - Dn't forget the SOTLs that hit you with that roaster as well
[Reply]
RevSmoke 03:58 PM 03-08-2009
I love my FR8 - I usually take beans to just the start of second crack, that's where I like them.
[Reply]
Hardcz 07:27 PM 03-08-2009
Originally Posted by novasurf:
Second crack sounds like rice krispies in milk.
All the best on your new venture.....Bwhahahahaaahhaaaaa!
Best reference I've heard so far, thanks man!

Originally Posted by Volt:
Not to bust on ya or nothing - Dn't forget the SOTLs that hit you with that roaster as well
You're the only one that has fessed up....

Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
I love my FR8 - I usually take beans to just the start of second crack, that's where I like them.
Do you stop as you hear them enter second crack, or let them complete it? Also do you turn it to the cool cycyle, or do your own cooling?
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:37 PM 03-08-2009
Originally Posted by Hardcz:
Best reference I've heard so far, thanks man!

You're the only one that has fessed up....

Do you stop as you hear them enter second crack, or let them complete it? Also do you turn it to the cool cycyle, or do your own cooling?
I turn it to the cooling cycle.
[Reply]
Hardcz 07:55 PM 03-08-2009
Thanks Rev, I'll try that next time
[Reply]
Up