Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 11 of 29
« First < 91011 121321 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>nice rums?
RevSmoke 07:36 PM 01-05-2010
OK, I have done many wines - am no expert, but no neophyte.

Like my Single Malts Scotch and Irish Whiskey - know what I can afford, and know what I like.

Plenty of decent small batch Bourbans out there.

Enjoy a good Cognac &/or Aragnac.

Never thought of rums as anything other than a mixer. Usually bought the cheap ones, since when you mix it, you can't really taste the nuances anyway.

Now, I have been exposed to good rums - sipping rums -- and have a few questions.

Why do the really good Whiskeys run $50 and more, and the great rums start at about $25 and you can get award winners for $35 or less?

Is it just me, or do good rums taste best warmer, like a Cognac?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 04:41 AM 01-06-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
I find the rums I sip are better at room temp....chilling just makes them cold and warming changes the taste :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 09:30 AM 01-06-2010
Originally Posted by snkbyt:
Zaya is a good everyday rum for me (beats the hell outta mosts)
Zappa 23 or Centenario XX for special events/herfs/when I feel like something better
(none of above as mixers, straight up only)
Is that the Trini Zaya or the Guatemala Zaya?
[Reply]
Mark C 06:04 PM 01-06-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Depends on the rum. The sweet rums like Zaya, Zacapa, etc. I like at room temperature. Too cold and the sweetness overpowers the flavors.

I'm partial to a more 'dry' style usually (Ron del Barrilito is my favorite), and I think they benefit from being slightly chilled, just a small ice chip or two. I figure it's using cold to help smooth out the alcohol instead of sugar.

I've heard others say that a few drops of water can 'open up' a glass of rum, but I haven't noticed that.
[Reply]
mtaill 09:45 AM 01-07-2010
I love the El Dorado 12 and 15 yrs old, the Mount Gay Extra Old
Would love to try the Ron Zacapa and Pyrat XO, but not available up north :-(
[Reply]
SNKBYT 10:48 AM 01-07-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Is that the Trini Zaya or the Guatemala Zaya?
its Trini........hard to find the Guate
[Reply]
icehog3 02:14 PM 01-07-2010
Originally Posted by mtaill:
I love the El Dorado 12 and 15 yrs old, the Mount Gay Extra Old
Would love to try the Ron Zacapa and Pyrat XO, but not available up north :-(
Where are you at? They have Zacapa everywhere in Chicago.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:27 PM 01-07-2010
its Trini........hard to find the Guate
Isn't the Guatemala one history now?
[Reply]
SNKBYT 02:31 PM 01-07-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Isn't the Guatemala one history now?
yes it is but some mom & pop places might still have some on the shelves
[Reply]
Wanger 08:05 AM 01-08-2010
yes it is but some mom & pop places might still have some on the shelves
Not the ones I looked at when we were down there, unfortunately. :-) It's like a drug, really. LOL Just glad I have some left, but I want MORE. LOL :-)
[Reply]
chenvt 07:53 PM 01-10-2010
I hope these don't suck or I'm gonna be pissed

[Reply]
RGD. 08:50 PM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by chenvt:

They do. Nasty stuff. But all is not lost. I'll take them off your hand for $10 a bottle and use them for mixers. Just let me know when you want me to stop by.

:-)

Ron
[Reply]
icehog3 08:59 PM 01-10-2010
You are gonna dig it, Dan. :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 06:45 AM 01-11-2010

LMK how they compare to the Zacapa 23. :-)
[Reply]
chenvt 07:42 AM 01-11-2010
Lol mike, we talked about this.. I've never had hte 23.. I normally drank the 15, but it was between the XO and 23 and I could only get one so I went with the XO.. I'll try to pick up some 23 if I go to the city because I can't buy it anywhere near me (damn state controlled liquor).. I did have some 15 afterwards and there is a HUGE difference in terms of how smooth and complex the XO is
[Reply]
icehog3 07:44 AM 01-11-2010
Regarding the 23 vs the XO, I find the XO to be a little less sweet, and a little more smooth and complex, as Dan implies.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 08:15 AM 01-11-2010
how much did it cost ya a bottle?
[Reply]
mithrilG60 09:18 AM 01-11-2010
Has anyone else tried Renegade Rum? Difficult to find, and quite expensive as rum goes, but well worth the purchase if you come across a bottle. My wife bought me a bottle of the 1995 Panama Don Jose from their 2008 release last year for Valentine's Day, such an amazingly beautiful rum. Even she, who never sips spirits because she can't get past the alcohol on the nose, enjoys this one neat in a snifter. We've since bought 2 more bottle for ourselves and 2 for her father.

Much more "scotchy" than most rums, however you'd expect that given that these are rums that are matured and aged by Bruichladdich in Scotland in the whisky tradition. Adding the different cask maturation stages gives a very different flavour profile to most rums.
[Reply]
Wanger 10:21 AM 01-11-2010
Lol mike, we talked about this.. I've never had hte 23.. I normally drank the 15, but it was between the XO and 23 and I could only get one so I went with the XO.. I'll try to pick up some 23 if I go to the city because I can't buy it anywhere near me (damn state controlled liquor).. I did have some 15 afterwards and there is a HUGE difference in terms of how smooth and complex the XO is
I know we did, Dan, but I have forgotten about it all. :-)

Originally Posted by icehog3:
Regarding the 23 vs the XO, I find the XO to be a little less sweet, and a little more smooth and complex, as Dan implies.
Thanks Tom!
[Reply]
mtaill 05:54 AM 01-12-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Where are you at? They have Zacapa everywhere in Chicago.
Quebec, Canada
[Reply]
Page 11 of 29
« First < 91011 121321 > Last »
Up