Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 117
« First < 2101112 13142262112 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
lightning9191 01:27 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
There are plenty of cheap bourbons that are VERY good. They include:

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 - 90 proof
Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old
Very Old Barton 100
Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond
Old Fitzgerald 1849
Old Forester 100 proof Signature

Hope this helps.
Thanx for the suggestions....I'll have to check some of these out:-).
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 01:35 PM 03-01-2009
I second the Old Forester! It is "cheap" wink wink
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 02:03 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by lightning9191:
Any "cheap" bourbons we should try?
This list I posted earlier in this thread may help with some suggestions:

For those of you that may be interested, I had put together a listing of what I considered Good/Great Whiskey, at very reasonable pricing. ($25 or less, and $15 or less). I did this about seven or eight months ago, so I believe the pricing is still accurate. Of course, this list is based on my humble opinions! I have, at one time or another, tasted ever one on this list!

This mark *, after a listing, designates a personal favorite:

Great Rye for under $25 a bottle:
Wild Turkey Rye 50.5*

Good Rye for under $15 a bottle:
Jim Beam Rye*
Old Overholt Rye

Great Bourbon/Whiskey for under $25 a bottle:
Maker's Mark Bourbon*
Old Grand Dad Bonded Bourbon 100 proof*
Old Grand Dad Bourbon 114 proof
Buffalo Trace Bourbon
Wild Turkey Bourbon 101 proof
Canadian Club Reserve 10 Year Old Blended Canadian
Canadian Club Classic 12 Year Old Blended Canadian
W. L. Weller 12 Year Old Bourbon
W. L. Weller 7 Year Old Bourbon
Four Roses Bourbon, Small Batch*
Crown Royal Canadian Blended
Jameson Irish whiskey
Bushmills Irish Whiskey
Power & Son - Irish whiskey*

Great Bourbon/Whiskey for under $15 a bottle:
Old Fitzgerald Bourbon 100 proof*
Old Fitzgerald 1849 Bourbon 90 proof
Old Forester Bourbon 86 proof – America’s very first bourbon!*
Old Grand Dad Bourbon 86 proof
Old Grand Dad Bourbon 100 proof*
Jim Beam Choice 5 Year Old Bourbon*
Jim Beam White Label 4 Year Old Bourbon

Good Bourbon/Whiskey for under $15 a bottle:
Early Times Kentucky Whiskey*
Seagrams VO Canadian Blended
Canadian Club 6 Year Old 100 Proof
Pendleton Canadian Blended
Four RosesBourbon 80 proof
JTS Brown Bourbon 80 proof
Seagram's VO 80 proof
[Reply]
GreekGodX 02:27 PM 03-01-2009
I've been looking for some cheaper, good bourbons to try. Thanks for the list
[Reply]
newcigarz 02:30 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
This list I posted earlier in this thread may help with some suggestions:
You really should try to find the Rittenhouse bottled in bond. Best product under $15.00 I have ever had.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 03:00 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by newcigarz:
You really should try to find the Rittenhouse bottled in bond. Best product under $15.00 I have ever had.
As I recall Rittenhouse is a Rye Whisky not a Bourbon. I think I did have it once or twice, the 100 proof bottling, but I don't recall very much about it. That had to be in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I am not sure how many different bottling's there are. I'll have to check it out.

As far as straight Rye's go, it's hard to beat the Van Winkle 13yo Family Reserve but it's a little pricey. I think it sells in the $40+ range but I'm not sure right now. I just opened a bottle yesterday and I still have another sealed bottle left. I had purchased a case back in the late 1980's. It has always been my favorite straight Rye Whiskey.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 03:08 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
As I recall Rittenhouse is a Rye Whisky not a Bourbon. I think I did have it once or twice, the 100 proof bottling, but I don't recall very much about it. That had to be in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I am not sure how many different bottling's there are. I'll have to check it out.

As far as straight Rye's go, it's hard to beat the Van Winkle 13yo Family Reserve but it's a little pricey. I think it sells in the $40+ range but I'm not sure right now. I just opened a bottle yesterday and I still have another sealed bottle left. I had purchased a case back in the late 1980's. It has always been my favorite straight Rye Whiskey.
Yes...many on this board seem to think several different types of whiskey are bourbon. This wiki article tells what makes a bourbon a bourbon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey
[Reply]
newcigarz 04:24 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
As I recall Rittenhouse is a Rye Whisky not a Bourbon.
Yes, I know it is not a Bourbon, the only reason I mentioned it is that you have several Ryes on your list and Rittenhouse was not on it.

Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
Yes...many on this board seem to think several different types of whiskey are bourbon. This wiki article tells what makes a bourbon a bourbon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

You have a very condescending tone to your posts. Maybe we should all step aside and let you lecture us on Bourbon.:-)
[Reply]
newcigarz 04:43 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey
Oh yeah and wikipedia is the first place I would go to learn about Bourbon. They have good info on Cuban cigars too :-)
[Reply]
Heatmiser 04:52 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by newcigarz:
You have a very condescending tone to your posts. Maybe we should all step aside and let you lecture us on Bourbon.:-)
:-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:14 PM 03-01-2009
Ouch!
[Reply]
newcigarz 05:16 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
Ouch!
Truth hurts. :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:17 PM 03-01-2009
My bad gentleman. I will try to be more friendly in my posts. I apologize for sounding like a jerk...I did not mean to come off in such a way. One thing is frustrating though...when you order the house bourbon at a restaurant and the bring you something else..I learned to verify first. :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:18 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by newcigarz:
Truth hurts. :-)
I have a pain fetish...me likes it! :-)
[Reply]
newcigarz 05:22 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
I have a pain fetish...me likes it! :-)
This hurts a little going down, but not much longer after that. Kinda tastes like Old Crow. :-)


Image
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:25 PM 03-01-2009
No this hurts....
Image

Holy hell :-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 08:52 PM 03-01-2009
Tonight's beverage was a glass of Four Roses 120th Anniversary. Great stuff, glad I have a few bottles of it!
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 08:54 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
Tonight's beverage was a glass of Four Roses 120th Anniversary. Great stuff, glad I have a few bottles of it!
Nice...I am jealous. I only had one bottle and it went quick! Good choice!
[Reply]
Darrell 08:56 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
No this hurts....
Image

Holy hell :-)
You think that's bad? Try the Tequila. :-)
[Reply]
cbsmokin 05:44 PM 03-04-2009
I'm sipping on some Noah's Mill single barrel right now. 114.5 proof and I like it quite a bit, more so than other Bourbons in the same price neighborhood.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 117
« First < 2101112 13142262112 > Last »
Up