Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Chimay
jerseystepup 10:43 PM 02-06-2010
What do you guys think of this beer? I got a bottle each for me and the grls father to enjoy with a smoke before the game tomorow... its blue label and the cork was dated 10/08.... And for those of you familiar with this ale, what falvor profile cigar should i look to pair it with?
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:54 PM 02-06-2010
Chimay is a great beer Randy. But for me, I would rather have something from St. Bernardus. I really enjoy the tripel and abt 12 from them. It is just personal taste. But if your looking for a great Belgian ale, you really can't go wrong with Chimay. As for cigar pairings, I haven't had any with Chimay. But I can see a Cohiba Sig II going well with it. Classic Cohiba flavors would pair well with Chimay. Also, some other Belgian beers to look at are Duvel and Rochefort.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:55 PM 02-06-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Chimay is a great beer Randy. But for me, I would rather have something from St. Bernardus. I really enjoy the tripel and abt 12 from them. It is just personal taste. But if your looking for a great Belgian ale, you really can't go wrong with Chimay. As for cigar pairings, I haven't had any with Chimay. But I can see a Cohiba Sig II going well with it. Classic Cohiba flavors would pair well with Chimay. Also, some other Belgian beers to look at are Duvel and Rochefort.
See, you should have bought the Sig IIs already!! :-)
[Reply]
jerseystepup 11:03 PM 02-06-2010
eureka!!!! its destiny
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:05 PM 02-06-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
See, you should have bought the Sig IIs already!! :-)
:-) I wasn't even thinking about that!

Originally Posted by jerseystepup:
eureka!!!! its destiny
Randy, it is a match made in heaven!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:27 AM 02-07-2010
Wait another 5 years before opening it
[Reply]
jerseystepup 06:42 AM 02-07-2010
great.... thats disheartening
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:20 AM 02-07-2010
While Chimay can be aged, it's great the way it is now. Open it and enjoy it.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 08:21 AM 02-07-2010
Love this stuff! Special reserve is great
[Reply]
spectrrr 08:27 AM 02-07-2010
let it warm up a tad. this is NOT a beer at its best ice cold.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:40 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
let it warm up a tad. this is NOT a beer at its best ice cold.
Yep. If im not out somewhere, I like my beer close to 45 or 50 degrees.

Here is what Chimay says about temp. - http://www.chimay.com/en/the_art_of_tasting_240.php
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:54 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Yep. If im not out somewhere, I like my beer close to 45 or 50 degrees.

Here is what Chimay says about temp. - http://www.chimay.com/en/the_art_of_tasting_240.php
Open at 50 for a bottle, 45 for a mag and let sit at the table. I like some tulip on the glass.
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 05:50 PM 02-09-2010
I prefer the Premier (red label) to the blue label , but I haven't had the blue with a couple years on it . I'm going to buy one and cellar it for a few years . It is a "Strong Dark Ale" where as the red is a Dubbel . I love Belgian Ale . Ommegang brews some really good stuff also .
[Reply]
rizzle 08:54 AM 02-10-2010
Love it. I'll second the St Bernardus as well.

And any cigar I've had with it was great.
[Reply]
Smoke_Eater 01:28 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Love it. I'll second the St Bernardus as well.

And any cigar I've had with it was great.
I agree. Chimay is excellent! I like them all but usually drink the Blue. That being said, I love St. Bernardus. If you ever come across a bottle of their 60th anniversary, grab it!
[Reply]
Up