Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Opening wax dipped bottles?
dwoodward 09:33 AM 11-25-2012
How does everyone open their wax dipped bottles? Does anyone have a great method that's a little out of the ordinary but works great?

I just use a knife and cut around the the rim below the cap. Any good ideas out there?
[Reply]
T.G 09:58 AM 11-25-2012
Keeping the wax on the bottle means nothing to me, so I place the wax sealed part of the neck under running hot water for 30-60 seconds to soften the wax before cutting below the ridge of the neck (about 1/4" down from the top of the neck), then peel away the upper part of the wax. If the bottom section feels like it's going to come loose, then I'll slice it and peel it off too.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:09 AM 11-25-2012
Just open it like you normally would open a cap. If the wax is thick and covers all of the cap edges, then cut down to the cap edge and crack open.
[Reply]
cort 10:13 AM 11-25-2012
I hold the bottle by the base and then smack the hell out of the neck against the counter thus breaking the entire neck clean off. I then pour the contents through a coffee filter to remove and shards of glass that may have fallen in. You can never be too safe.
[Reply]
Zane 11:47 AM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by cort:
I hold the bottle by the base and then smack the hell out of the neck against the counter thus breaking the entire neck clean off. I then pour the contents through a coffee filter to remove and shards of glass that may have fallen in. You can never be too safe.

:-)
[Reply]
bvilchez 12:00 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by ZaneG:
:-)
Funny you laugh because he really does do that.
[Reply]
Gophernut 12:22 PM 11-25-2012
You can never be too safe.
Thus this method??? :-):-):-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:35 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Keeping the wax on the bottle means nothing to me, so I place the wax sealed part of the neck under running hot water for 30-60 seconds to soften the wax before cutting below the ridge of the neck (about 1/4" down from the top of the neck), then peel away the upper part of the wax. If the bottom section feels like it's going to come loose, then I'll slice it and peel it off too.
I like this idea. I'll have to try this.

LOL at the coffee filter idea. :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 02:11 PM 11-25-2012
If you men makers mark, I just use a razor and cut the wax from the top of the cap to the bottom of the wax. It peels off clean after that.
[Reply]
icehog3 03:14 PM 11-25-2012
I warm the wax with my XiKar quintuple flame torch. If my girlfriend is over, I allow the hot wax to drip on her body. Then I put the beer away 'til later.
[Reply]
markem 03:20 PM 11-25-2012
We recorded my last attempt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpVjlg7Nq-Y
[Reply]
icehog3 03:30 PM 11-25-2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULNUr0rvEc

Another famous method....
[Reply]
replicant_argent 05:28 PM 11-25-2012
Saber. Anything less is p*ssy.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 05:52 PM 11-25-2012
:-) Well this thread went to hell in a hand-basket! :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:42 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo:
:-) Well this thread went to hell in a hand-basket! :-)
:-) I'm kinda enjoying it tbh... :-)

Some great ideas... :-)
[Reply]
macsauce13 07:04 PM 11-25-2012
If you mean Maker's, it has a pull tab, ordinarily. Right?
[Reply]
iaMkcK 07:29 PM 11-25-2012
I will be utilizing the gently smashing of the bottle neck later on. It sounds like a rather good idea, but I will sans the coffee filter. No point, I love the taste of glass.

Originally Posted by macsauce13:
If you mean Maker's, it has a pull tab, ordinarily. Right?
And yes, it has a pull tab. In the past, I don't believe it had one though. Even the smaller bottles now have the pull tab. Pretty convenient.
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:11 PM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I warm the wax with my XiKar quintuple flame torch. If my girlfriend is over, I allow the hot wax to drip on her body. Then I put the beer away 'til later.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:19 PM 11-29-2012
Serrated knife. On old wax, you may have to chip away at it and I do that in the sink. If using tongs on a port bottle with a waxed capsole, make sure all the wax is off. If the hot tongs touch any wax, the smell is horrible and lingers.
[Reply]
Bax 02:27 PM 11-29-2012
I have an idea but you'd have to have incredible rectal control to pull it off.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up