Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>Weber or Big Green Egg?
shade 07:56 AM 04-21-2013
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Costco was selling a Kamado grill last season for a very reasonable price.
I ended up getting one of those (Vision Grill Classic) a couple of weeks ago, after I had my heart set on a BGE. I absolutely love it!!!

So far I've made spatchcock chicken, chicken thighs, pork tenderloin, london broil, ribs, ABTs, baked beans, broccoli, asparagus and caulliflower, and PIZZA on the Vision. My son said the Pizza was the best he ever ate. That's saying a lot coming from him.

Priced about $200 - $300 less than a Green Egg, and includes a stainless steel nest (x-tra $ on the Egg).

I still have a Weber gasser that I'll keep for quick burgers or searing meats, but so far at least 99% of my recent grilling has been on the Vision.

:-):-)
[Reply]
hudd 06:33 PM 05-06-2013
I saw a new "egg" style grill over the weekend. Grill Dome. Thicker ceramic material all stainless hardware, lifetime guarantee on the entire unit except for the seal and that's a five year guarantee. Price is very close to BGE and they have 5 colors to choose from.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 10:07 PM 05-08-2013
I do appreciate all the thoughtful input. The BGE does sound great. Hell, they all sound great in their way. But, FWIW, I went with a good ol' Weber 22.5 One-Touch Gold. Perhaps a Weber Smokey Mountain or a BGE will come later, but with my upcoming nuptials, so much is influx right now that I've decided to stick with what I know.

I'm just so happy that it's finally perfect outdoor cookin' and cigar smokin' weather here in New York that I'm beside myself. :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 10:41 PM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by ColdCuts:
I'm just so happy that it's finally perfect outdoor cookin' and cigar smokin' weather here in New York that I'm beside myself. :-)
Amen brother! Put that weber to use and don't look back!

My opinion, the BGE's look nice, but seriously costly for the amount of cooking space you get. I'd take a weber any day! I think you made the right choice. :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 05:59 AM 05-09-2013
I was able to see and use a BGE (extra large) this weekend. Had ribeye's one night and slow cooked baby back ribs another. The temp control was amazing and the meat was tastey, but I'm really not convinced it's worth all that money. That could just be my upstate New York opinion.
[Reply]
pektel 09:15 AM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Amen brother! Put that weber to use and don't look back!

My opinion, the BGE's look nice, but seriously costly for the amount of cooking space you get. I'd take a weber any day! I think you made the right choice. :-)
Agreed. I took a look at BGE's the other day while I was waiting for some glass to be cut at the hardware store, and thought about the lack of cooking space for the price. I understand that temp control and effeciency are a lot better on the ceramic grill, but at a large increase in price. I couldn't justify it, but realistically speaking, I can't afford one anyways. I need to put a better deck/patio on the house before investing in an expensive grill out there. I've seen broken BGE's where a wheel catches a crack/board in the deck and the grill tips over and smashes. Or the lip from the apron and garage floor.

Plus, to me it's fun to learn the steel grill. Everywhere you go is not going to have a green egg to cook on, and it would suck to be limited in your grilling knowledge to not know how to properly cook a meal on a weber. Not saying that the BGE fans DON'T know how to do that, only saying one SHOULD know how to use a basic grill as well. Hell, I still can't make as good of a ribeye on a barrel style steel grill as I could on my old 22.5" weber.
[Reply]
Felixcigar 01:22 PM 01-27-2014
We went with the Weber Genesis propane and are very happy with it.
[Reply]
equetefue 04:50 PM 01-27-2014
You couldn't go wrong with either one. I have the weber as well and is great
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up