Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Good Eats>Salt
never_enough 12:57 PM 11-19-2012
Thanks for the info Adam. I will still give it a try. It seems intriguing at the least.

I plan on doing other infusions too. Just need to head back up to Maine to get more water.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:07 PM 11-19-2012
Wow, my parents live along the water, can't wait to make Vineyard Sound salt!
[Reply]
iaMkcK 02:25 PM 11-19-2012
This is actually pretty damn awesome. I never even thought of trying to make my own salt, much less smoke it. I doubt I'd have the time to honestly give it a try, but this place never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for all the wonderful info though! But hey, maybe I could give a shot at smoking some salt.. That might be worth a try. :-D
[Reply]
never_enough 03:36 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Wow, my parents live along the water, can't wait to make Vineyard Sound salt!
Do it! Like I mentioned I will be doing it next time I am in Nantucket.

You can make it a family affair I'm sure. Zest lemon and limes, dry, then toss that with your salt in a food processor. You can do w/e you want. I am going to start doing it to create finishing salts.
Originally Posted by iaMkcK:
This is actually pretty damn awesome. I never even thought of trying to make my own salt, much less smoke it. I doubt I'd have the time to honestly give it a try, but this place never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for all the wonderful info though! But hey, maybe I could give a shot at smoking some salt.. That might be worth a try. :-D
I had never thought about it either. Just one those things in life you just assume is always there and never think about HOW it got there.

Give it a try man. It does take time, but most of it you don't need to be standing over it. Just check it every hour until it turns to paste, then turn the heat down and make sure it doesn't burn.
[Reply]
mhailey 03:47 PM 11-19-2012
For "smoked" salt, could you just add some liquid smoke to the water you are boiling down? Seems to me the salt would take on that flavor.
[Reply]
never_enough 04:03 PM 11-19-2012
Hmmm maybe? No clue, but that kind of takes the fun out of it!!:-)
[Reply]
T.G 04:48 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by mhailey:
For "smoked" salt, could you just add some liquid smoke to the water you are boiling down? Seems to me the salt would take on that flavor.
Might work, I'm not sure that the flavor will be as intense as if you smoke it yourself though. Make sure you read the ingredients on the liquid smoke, some of them have all kinds of other crap in them that might not work out well (like food grade glycerine and some even use artificial flavoring).
[Reply]
never_enough 02:51 PM 11-25-2012
So anyone up for trying the sea salt I make? I know to most salt is salt, but I figured I would ask.

I could send 2-8 oz of salt to a few people for free. Could send you more possibly depending on what it would cost me. Maybe do a little regular sea salt, then any infusions I'm working on at the time.

I won't be smoking at this time, but I think my next experiment will me lemon/lime salt, wine infused salt (if I can figure it out), and maybe I can come up with a desert style salt. I notice chefs put salt on some of their deserts, so maybe a finishing salt can be created.

Anyways, send me a PM if you are interested. Again, will only send to a few at first. Going to cost me a bit for containers, shipping, gas to and from water source etc. Don't want to go broke just yet :-):-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:00 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by never_enough:
I won't be smoking at this time, but I think my next experiment will me lemon/lime salt, wine infused salt (if I can figure it out), and maybe I can come up with a desert style salt. I notice chefs put salt on some of their deserts, so maybe a finishing salt can be created.
I prefer my deserts dry and sandy, thank you very much.
[Reply]
never_enough 03:19 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
I prefer my deserts dry and sandy, thank you very much.
:-):-):-) I'm an idiot. Never even noticed my mistake. Desserts!!!!
[Reply]
Zane 08:28 PM 11-25-2012
Pm sent!
[Reply]
never_enough 06:42 AM 11-26-2012
Replied and the offer still stands for a few other people.
[Reply]
never_enough 06:58 AM 11-27-2012
Attempting a wine infused salt with a malbec. Color is nice, time will tell how it turns out.
[Reply]
never_enough 05:59 PM 11-27-2012
[Reply]
jluck 08:23 PM 11-27-2012
Looks great, Robert!

I will have to give it a try.:-)
[Reply]
Zane 09:16 PM 11-27-2012
How did it taste? I know you said you were going to use it for dinner.
[Reply]
never_enough 07:10 AM 11-28-2012
I used it on a potato for the color :-) Tasted like salt:-):-)

I am going to make more, and try to use more wine. I need to find the point where its too much and then back it off just a bit. Should be perfect then.

Off to buy some containers today for you people who wanted to try some.
[Reply]
OLS 08:10 AM 12-02-2012
Its the aftertaste of whale pee-pee I just can't get over.
[Reply]
dozer 11:29 PM 12-03-2012
Learn something new every day...would never think of making my own salt till now...
[Reply]
never_enough 02:42 PM 12-19-2012
So everyone loves something salty and sweet right?

I think I almost have sugar infused sea salt figured out. This is not just sugar and salt tossed in a blender to mix.

Can't wait to perfect it :-)

Also made a shiraz infused salt for my g/fs coworker. Turned out almost pink instead of deep purple like the malbec
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up