Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Good Eats>Make your own pickles?
pnoon 12:36 PM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by pektel:
Just checked out foodgawker. The sheer volume of recipes there is incredible. But for a beginner like me, I'm glad there was only one recipe you linked to in that thread.

What type of salt to you use in that recipe, Peter? Kosher?
I use kosher salt.
[Reply]
T.G 12:42 PM 08-20-2012
Wow, lots of great info/advice. Thanks! Now I need to buy a scale too. Off to walmart after work I guess. Well, I need to buy cheesecloth and cooking twine too.

Regarding the salt... I use Morton coarse grind kosher salt. Can't remember if that has additives in it or not, but I'll make sure before I use it.

I should really have an herb garden by now.
That's the blue box Morton's kosher salt, right? I think it has an anti-caking agent in it.

If you are going to wall-mart, just grab a box of the Morton's canning and pickling salt it has no additives whatsoever. Comes in a green box, it's cheap too, less than $2 for 4 lbs IIRC.

You don't have to use dill weed (leaf), you can do the whole thing with dill seed.

On the leaves - you can also use blackberry or rasberry leaves, just don't use too many as they have a stronger flavor. The leaves are there to provide tannins to keep the pickles somewhat crisp.

Remember, there are so many variables in this type of fermenting of foods that sometimes things will go better than others. It might take a few tries to get things the way you like them but the results are totally worth it.
[Reply]
pektel 12:48 PM 08-20-2012
Awesome. I have tons of raspberry plants around my yard. I'll just grab some leaves off of those.

Yep, dark blue box for the morton kosher salt. I'll pick up the pickling salt.
[Reply]
pnoon 12:50 PM 08-20-2012
Just checked out foodgawker. The sheer volume of recipes there is incredible. But for a beginner like me, I'm glad there was only one recipe you linked to in that thread.

What type of salt to you use in that recipe, Peter? Kosher?
Awesome. I have tons of raspberry plants around my yard. I'll just grab some leaves off of those.

Yep, dark blue box for the morton kosher salt. I'll pick up the pickling salt.
That's what I've used and it works fine. However, when it comes to food, I trust Adam's judgement. I'm going to pick up some of the pickling salt and try it out.
[Reply]
T.G 01:48 PM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
That's what I've used and it works fine. However, when it comes to food, I trust Adam's judgement. I'm going to pick up some of the pickling salt and try it out.
Peter, I used the blue box Morton's kosher salt for years with refrigerator/vinegar pickles, and all really I experienced was some sediment and clouding of the brine from the anti-caking agent, while some people don't care for that clouding, it's not a big deal IMO. I switched to Diamond Crystal kosher salt a year or two ago to get away from the additives - can't say if it tastes different or not though.

But fermenting is a different process. The additives are going to behave differently under these conditions where we are using live bacteria to sour the cucumbers.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:29 PM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Peter, I used the blue box Morton's kosher salt for years with refrigerator/vinegar pickles, and all really I experienced was some sediment and clouding of the brine from the anti-caking agent, while some people don't care for that clouding, it's not a big deal IMO. I switched to Diamond Crystal kosher salt a year or two ago to get away from the additives - can't say if it tastes different or not though.

But fermenting is a different process. The additives are going to behave differently under these conditions where we are using live bacteria to sour the cucumbers.
Gotcha.

Thanks for the clarification.
[Reply]
hammondc 02:43 PM 08-20-2012
I should start doing this. I go through a jar a week.
[Reply]
pektel 03:24 PM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
I should start doing this. I go through a jar a week.
Me too. My kids LOVE pickles, so they disappear fast. Hoping they like these too.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 04:14 PM 08-20-2012
I've made a few batches of dill pickles and use the pickling salt, works like a champ. If you like a little spice, cut up a jalapeno and put 4 slices in the bottom of the mason jar before you load in the pickles :-)
[Reply]
T.G 07:07 PM 08-20-2012
Here's a photo of kahm yeast from one of my 2 gal fermenters.
Attached: kahm_yeast_pickles.jpg (92.4 KB) 
[Reply]
pektel 01:20 PM 08-21-2012
Made the first batch last night.

Tried one at like 5 this morning. BAM got hit with a huge blast of tang/flavor. I'm guessing they only get stronger. I may add a little more water to tone it down a little. Beause honestly, I can't remember for SURE putting in 1.5C water (I halved the recipe due to the amount of cucumber slices I wound up with).
[Reply]
T.G 04:10 PM 08-21-2012
Made the first batch last night.

Tried one at like 5 this morning. BAM got hit with a huge blast of tang/flavor. I'm guessing they only get stronger. I may add a little more water to tone it down a little. Beause honestly, I can't remember for SURE putting in 1.5C water (I halved the recipe due to the amount of cucumber slices I wound up with).

Unlike fermented pickles which will continue to get more sour as they sit in the fermenter because the live lactobacillus will continue to make the brine more sour, vinegar pickles typically won't get any more sour once the flesh is saturated because the brine is at a fixed / constant pH.

For thin slices, this can occur in a little as a few hours, especially if you used boiling brine.

You don't want to take the acid level down too low as you need to have a certain acidity and saline level when making refrigerator pickles so that they absorb the herbs/spice flavors, don't become unsafe to eat through bacterial contamination, and are preserved. 1:1 with typical distilled white vinegar is already getting low, a bit more water is probably ok, but a lot would turn these from pickles to cucumbers in spiced water.

Besides water dilution, you can also add white sugar to the vinegar-salt brine to cut the bite.
[Reply]
pektel 04:28 PM 08-21-2012
Thanks for the input. Yeah, brought the brine to a boil before adding. I may add a tsp of sugar or something. I'll see how they are when I get home.
[Reply]
cryan1980 01:53 PM 09-03-2012
Homemade pickles are great, we do lots of Cukes, Zuchinni and our favorite...
Pickled Green Tomatoes!!! Use any recipe that works with a cuke will work with a tomato
[Reply]
pektel 04:39 PM 09-03-2012
I've been pickling green beans lately with this same recipe, except I sub jalapeņos for the peppers. Everyone loves them!
[Reply]
pektel 05:10 PM 11-02-2012
Still been making these constantly. Switched back to cucumbers as my kids like them better than the beans.

Quick question regarding the brine:

When I make a batch of pickles, I let them sit overnight, then start eating the next day. A jar never normally lasts for 3-5 days after. Can I just dump the brine back into the pot, boil, and reuse? I'm sure the spices will lose a little strength. Just more of a safety question really.

On the other hand, it only takes 15 minutes to throw everything together, and the brine is pretty cheap... Just thought about it today. Made a jar of slices (supermarket cukes) on Wednesday evening, and it's already over half gone. I just keep thinking that the brine could have a longer useful life.
[Reply]
T.G 05:36 PM 11-02-2012
Vinegar brine & spices you can reuse a few times, I'll reuse until it clouds - about 3 runs, could probably go more cycles though. I add a splash of fresh vinegar and a bit more salt each time and make sure you bring to a boil to sterilize the brine before reuse.

For fermented pickles, so long as there isn't some undesirable bacteria in there, you would only need about a cup or two of the lactobacillus brine as a starter to prime the new batch. I once tried a 60%+ reuse, the bacteria I wanted ended up dying off too soon and the result tasted really "off". Wasn't harmful or anything, just tasted really funky.
[Reply]
pektel 06:09 PM 11-02-2012
Exactly the response I was hoping for. Thank you!

My parents (divorced for a number of years) had the same comment regarding your recipe. Both have told me that my paternal grandparents would've been proud. They were both very much into canning and pickling. They both passed a number of years ago, but I was able to eat their pickled/canned food growing up. From what I remember, everything they made was spectacular.

Of course, I gave credit where credit was due. Though I only add 1 jalapeņo (seeded and chopped), and a little ground cayenne, because those chiles you listed are not available in my small town. So I had to make due.

Excellent recipe, and everyone raves about how great the final product is. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:02 PM 11-18-2012
If you like carrots, here's a good recipe I saw on Good Eats about ten years ago. It's called "Firecrackers" and is for spicey pickled baby carrots. The chili flakes and peppers I use are homemade cayennes from my folk's garden and give the carrots a pretty decent amount of heat.
Recipe by Alton Brown.

1/2 pound mini carrots
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 dried chilies

Place carrots in a sterilized spring-top glass jar. Bring the water, sugar, cider vinegar, onion powder, mustard seeds, salt, and chili flakes to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan. Boil for 4 minutes.

Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the carrots, filling the jar to the top. Place the chilies in the jar. Allow the carrots to cool before sealing. Refrigerate for 2 days up to 1 week.
[Reply]
PearlS4 09:37 AM 11-19-2012
Did someone say pickles??

We put up 58 quarts this year. Over half are spiked with 1-1/2 habenero peppers for HOT pickles. Love em.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up