Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Good Eats>Weber Smokey Mtn...
skullnrose 09:39 PM 05-04-2009
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
I would suggest not using all lump for at least a while. It can make learning to control your temps much more difficult.

I would use Rancher, Stubbs, or Kingsford Competition briquets. Original Kingsford has too many additives IMO. I don't care for the smell when it is burning nor the flavor that it imparts. The other three are all natural and are basically ground lump held together with a plant starch. You will find they have MUCH less ash.

BTW... a great way to do the Minion method on a WSM is to get a small metal coffee can. Cut out the top and bottom. Put it in the center of your fire ring. Fill the ring outside of the can with briqs. Start about a half a chimney of briqs. Once they are ashed over dump them in the coffee can. Use REALLY long tongs to pull the coffee can up and out (I actually use welder's gloves).

Another thing I am an absolute believer in is running the WSM dry. I filled the water pan with egg rock (some use sand). Over that I put a clay flower pot base (from WalMart) that I covered with HD foil. You will use much less fuel this way, and while the temps are minimally more difficult to keep down, the rock does basically the same job.
Thanks for the tips I'm going to try running it dry as you mentioned.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:18 AM 05-05-2009
I would suggest not using all lump for at least a while. It can make learning to control your temps much more difficult.

I would use Rancher, Stubbs, or Kingsford Competition briquets. Original Kingsford has too many additives IMO.

Another thing I am an absolute believer in is running the WSM dry.
Been using lump and wood chunks for a decade... Just tried out Kingsford Competition and it really is steady with the temperature, but does not burn as hot and has little flavor. Keeps the temperature for a good length of time too. Great for starting out keeping slow and for sure low... Really something to use with wood chunks if you want a decent amount of smoke (I am TX BBQ fan, so love that smoke).

I am also a fan of cooking dry. I don't want my BBQ steamed and makes it more of an art controlling the temperature.

FYI - I use a Char Griller Smoking Pro (barrell with side smoker)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:20 AM 05-05-2009
Originally Posted by skullnrose:
WSM user here too best thing other than cigars I bought in a long time. I use the BBQ GURU with it makes things almost too easy. Also use the maverick remote. I like the kingsford comp seems to burn longer. Anyone know a good online source for wood?
Not really, shipping is a killer unless you pallets. Every part of our nation has some kind of native hardwood that should be easy to find. In New England, it's Apple, Pear, Maple, and Cherry. Try orchards, but if in TX (for instance), Oak works really well. New England Oak is a bit too powerful.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 09:15 AM 05-05-2009
Thought I was pretty good but I'm humbled by the expertise I've seen in this thread. Would love to see some discussion about wood smoking ... chips v. chunks, soaking, techniques, etc.
[Reply]
cle_smoker 09:26 AM 05-05-2009
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
Thought I was pretty good but I'm humbled by the expertise I've seen in this thread. Would love to see some discussion about wood smoking ... chips v. chunks, soaking, techniques, etc.
I always use dry chunks. I used soaked chips a long time ago and you get nowhere the amount of smoke you get from chunks. I've tried chips in aluminum foil, a smoker box, directly on the coals, you name it. Will never use them again.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 09:32 AM 05-05-2009
Wood chunks all the way for me and never soaked. I want very thin blue smoke. Almost invisible. If you soak you cannot get it.

Wood choices for me:

Pork - Cherry is my favorite. I also use hickory and oak.
Chicken - Pecan is my favorite. I also use apple and oak if I have to.
Beef - Mesquite is my favorite, but it is easy to overdo it. I also use oak.

I am lucky in that were I live I can get all the pecan, hickory, cherry (although it is wild cherry) and oak that I want. I pick up apple in NC once or twice a year. The only thing I buy is mesquite and it is easy to find.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:02 AM 05-05-2009
I use mostly applewood- split logs and thinner branches. White ash is great if you are doing pure wood cooking.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 11:20 AM 05-05-2009
Thanks!!!! What keeps the dry chunks from catching on fire?

I'm really enjoying this thread.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 11:41 AM 05-05-2009
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
Thanks!!!! What keeps the dry chunks from catching on fire?
They do catch fire and that is what you want. You want the to burn cleanly. You are limiting the oxygen though so the don't burn up quickly.

The problem with non-seasoned wood or soaked wood is that if tend to not burn cleanly which equals cresote which equals NASTY!!!

That being said... there are some guys who use green wood but at much higher temp cooks. Four time World Champion (whole hog Memphis in May) Myron Mixon uses green peach wood. I have competed against him many times and you would not believe the smoke his cookers belch when he lights them off. Once you really watch him, though, you realize he is not putting any meat on for a long time and that smoke has really cleaned up. Plus he cooks at much higher temps than most of us do.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:55 AM 05-05-2009
I like green wood if it's branches, I guess I never noticed the cresote since the branches are 1.5" thick. It's easy to go overboard with smoke. Especially with the bark which gives good flavor too.

I tend to hit it with smoke in the beginning, taper it down, then it agin towards the end.

Wood is it a premium around me. I know two competition BBQ guys that had wood cheap, but they are not around anymore. I have to put together a game plan based on how much and what kind of wood and charcoal I have around. Much of the time, I am making sacrifices to use wood wisely.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 11:58 AM 05-05-2009
Next time I chunk up a bunch of cherry I will let you guys know. I will do large flat rate Priority boxes for the price of the postage. If I chunk it small I can get a lot of wood in one box.
[Reply]
cle_smoker 01:06 PM 05-05-2009
Next time I chunk up a bunch of cherry I will let you guys know. I will do large flat rate Priority boxes for the price of the postage. If I chunk it small I can get a lot of wood in one box.
Let me know. I'd be in for some.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 05:26 PM 05-05-2009
Thanks to this thread I'm now sold on the WSM. Is there any reason I shouldn't go right for the 22"?
[Reply]
Geppetto 05:27 PM 05-05-2009
Look OK?
Attached: 100_0326.jpg (120.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Geppetto 05:30 PM 05-05-2009
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
Thanks to this thread I'm now sold on the WSM. Is there any reason I shouldn't go right for the 22"?
I thought about it, but I can say that the 18.5" is a decent size for what I need.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 05:32 PM 05-05-2009
Originally Posted by Geppetto:
Look OK?
:-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:42 PM 05-05-2009
Not that I can think of... unless you want to build a UDS which is the bomb!!
[Reply]
tuxpuff 06:23 PM 05-05-2009
Not that I can think of... unless you want to build a UDS which is the bomb!!
I wish I had that ability!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:27 PM 05-05-2009
I wish I had that ability!
Brother.. trust me... I have nine thumbs. I have a word doc with a supply list and directions it you want. Just email me as I cannot attach it via PM.
[Reply]
cle_smoker 07:12 PM 05-05-2009
Originally Posted by Geppetto:
I thought about it, but I can say that the 18.5" is a decent size for what I need.
Same goes for a smoker as it does for a humidor. Always go bigger. A friend is going to try your BBQ, ask you to cook for 75-100 people, and then whatcha gonna do? :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up