Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Shabu Shabu
bonjing 09:14 AM 04-09-2013
Anyone else enjoy eating this stuff? :-) :-) :-)

"Kobe" beef, assorted vegetables with udon, rice, sesame sauce and some other type of sauce all cooked in a spicy miso broth. With a side o gyoza

[Reply]
czerbe 09:33 AM 04-09-2013
I would that's for sure!!! YUMMMMY
[Reply]
icehog3 09:52 AM 04-09-2013
No, but I love the song, Greg,

Shabu, Shabu....Ya da da da da da da da da da da, Shabu, Shabu
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:57 AM 04-09-2013
My wife and I visited a Shabu Shabu restuarant because it sounded like something we would like.

We arrived and they brought all the food with no explanation of what to do, so we guessed. It was not one of our better experiences.
[Reply]
bonjing 11:51 AM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
My wife and I visited a Shabu Shabu restuarant because it sounded like something we would like.

We arrived and they brought all the food with no explanation of what to do, so we guessed. It was not one of our better experiences.
That's kind of what happened to us on our first trip there, they dropped the food of and we had to look around as to what to do. We really enjoyed the food so we let it slide. But that picture was a little over $20 and all you can eat is $31:-) plus they offer 5% off the bill for happy hour :-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 03:05 PM 04-11-2013
So what do you do?
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 04:47 PM 04-11-2013
Looks amazing.
[Reply]
ArgusP2 04:54 PM 04-11-2013
I usually have shabu shabu with friends at one of our houses. We all bring our favorite ingredients and set up 2 or 3 burners depending on how many people show up. It really helped in the beginning when there were people who knew what to do. Now we're are all seasoned pros!
[Reply]
jjirons69 06:33 AM 04-12-2013
Again, what do you do? Is it like a hibachi?
[Reply]
OLS 07:05 AM 04-12-2013
Jamie it looks like one of those deals where if you have to ask, you can't play, lol.
First rule of Shabu-shabu, DON'T TALK about shabu shabu. Thank goodness for the internet, eh?

"The dish is prepared by submerging a thin slice of meat or a piece of vegetable in a pot of boiling water
or dashi (broth) made with konbu (kelp) and stirring it. Cooked meat and vegetables are usually dipped in
ponzu or goma (sesame seed) sauce before eating, and served with a bowl of steamed white rice.
Once the meat and vegetables have been eaten, leftover broth from the pot is customarily combined
with the remaining rice, and the resulting soup is usually eaten last."

I'll Passo Passo, lol. Anyone for Deep! Deep! Dish?
[Reply]
ArgusP2 07:38 PM 04-12-2013
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Again, what do you do? Is it like a hibachi?
Sorry about that jj!

Originally Posted by OLS:
Jamie it looks like one of those deals where if you have to ask, you can't play, lol.
First rule of Shabu-shabu, DON'T TALK about shabu shabu. Thank goodness for the internet, eh?

"The dish is prepared by submerging a thin slice of meat or a piece of vegetable in a pot of boiling water
or dashi (broth) made with konbu (kelp) and stirring it. Cooked meat and vegetables are usually dipped in
ponzu or goma (sesame seed) sauce before eating, and served with a bowl of steamed white rice.
Once the meat and vegetables have been eaten, leftover broth from the pot is customarily combined
with the remaining rice, and the resulting soup is usually eaten last."

I'll Passo Passo, lol. Anyone for Deep! Deep! Dish?
Basically, what is described above. Each ingredient is placed in the pot and eaten with a number of dipping sauces that you make (spicier, sweeter, etc) and a bowl of rice. The ingredients range from thinly sliced beef, chicken and other meats/fish. One of my favorites meat is duck. From there, it's just what you want to put in the pot.
[Reply]
jjirons69 08:08 PM 04-12-2013
Thanks
[Reply]
bonjing 07:16 AM 04-13-2013
Brad and Angel covered it! If I was told correctly shabu shabu is translated into swish swish. Just swish you meat and vegetables around in the broth till its cooked and eat with rice. I think traditional is served with broth and a piece of kelp as Brad described. The places I've been to also serve a spicy miso broth like I pictured or a chicken broth.
[Reply]
MikeyRocks 11:54 AM 05-14-2013
It's like a meat fondue. You dip the raw meat in the hot broth just long enough for it cook. They give you two dipping sauces, a sesame paste, and a ponzu dipping sauce. They usually give you a few different options for broths, miso, spicy miso, plain, tonkatsu broth (from HEAT Shabu Baru in Sacramento, one of my favorite spots). You garnish the broth with the veggies and seasonings they provide. I usually go once a month. :-):-):-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:13 PM 06-03-2013
LOVE IT!!!
Best Shabu Shabu I ever had was in Hamamatsu... followed by several Barrel Proof Havana Clubs... great night.
[Reply]
Simple1 08:51 AM 06-04-2013
It just looks amazing.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:20 AM 06-04-2013
There's a few Shabu places down the street from me. We go now and then. Takes some getting use to, to do it right. I still think I have some technique to improve on. It's fun and not too expensive.
[Reply]
stearns 11:55 AM 06-04-2013
looks great, i might have to find a local spot to indulge. thank you again CA and brothers for introducing me to something new :-)
[Reply]
bstarrs 11:57 AM 06-06-2013
That sounds awesome, I'm gonna have to check out if there is something like this in Toronto.
[Reply]
Up