Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Does anyone have a tried and true pancake recipe?
hammondc 09:11 PM 12-14-2012
I have tried bunches, but still have not found that medium between meaty and light/airy pancakes. What do you think?
[Reply]
hammondc 09:12 PM 12-14-2012
And do not tell me bisquick either.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:15 PM 12-14-2012
Ihop
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:22 PM 12-14-2012
Krusteaz.

Meaty?
[Reply]
iaMkcK 09:55 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Krusteaz.

Meaty?
+1 and yeah.. Meaty? I'm confused. If you want Bacon Pancakes, just make Bacon Pancakes.
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:36 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by iaMkcK:
+1 and yeah.. Meaty? I'm confused. If you want Bacon Pancakes, just make Bacon Pancakes.
Bacon Pancakes? :-) :-)

IT'S LIKE THEY ARE IN MY BRAIN!!!!!!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:20 AM 12-15-2012
When we do mix, we do Krusteaz - nothing comes close.

When we do from scratch, it is the Betty Crocker cookbook that we got when we were married 27+ years ago. We substitute 1/2 the flour for whole wheat and then double the amount of baking powder.

Here it is as prescribed (you can do the changes I suggest above for a "meatier" pancake that is still fluffy)

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy (I use an electric beater for this whole process); beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in an additional 1/4 cup mild. Pre-heat griddle (to test griddle, sprinkle a couple drops of water. If bubbles skitter around, heat is just right.)

Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter from tip of a large spoon, a laddle, or pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

To play with this, I've added apples diced to about 1/8" square and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Another is crushed pecans and touch of cinnamon and touch of nutmeg. Another is diced bananas and crushed walnuts. To do any of those, I do the batter first and then when it is ready, stir in the other ingredients.

My sons like to add M&Ms. If you add them to the mix, the colors bleed a bit and make neat designs in the batter and thence in the pancakes.

Tried gummi bears once when they were younger - not a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

PS Went to the Betty Crocker website to get the recipe, there they use Biscuick - so very sad.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 09:19 AM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by iaMkcK:
Where do you find these things?
[Reply]
OLS 09:19 AM 12-15-2012
My brother-in-law prides himself rightly on being the pancake and waffle king of the family.
When we get together in the Smokies every summer as a 4 family unit group, he has the
floor when it comes to breakfast. From what I have seen, the mix you can read on a box
or online is the same, its the treatment of the EGGS that makes the difference. How you
beat them, how fluffy you make them before adding them to the batter seems to be the
trick. It doesn't hurt his rep that he is in Western NY and brings the real deal maple syrup
with him when he arrives.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:50 AM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
My brother-in-law prides himself rightly on being the pancake and waffle king of the family.
When we get together in the Smokies every summer as a 4 family unit group, he has the
floor when it comes to breakfast. From what I have seen, the mix you can read on a box
or online is the same, its the treatment of the EGGS that makes the difference. How you
beat them, how fluffy you make them before adding them to the batter seems to be the
trick. It doesn't hurt his rep that he is in Western NY and brings the real deal maple syrup
with him when he arrives.
Brad is correct -- it's all about the eggs. My Mother-in-Law made the best pancakes -- standard recipe with flour, baking powder, milk, etc. The difference is that she would separate the eggs, mix the yolks into the batter and then beat the egg whites stiff until fluffy and fold the fluffed whites into the pancake mix.

She would not stir the mix after that, she would just spoon it on to a griddle. Best pancakes ever.
[Reply]
hammondc 11:23 AM 12-15-2012
By meaty, I mean the opposite of fluffy. Probably a bad choice of wording. Maybe 'dense' would be better. I tried a recipe i found online this morning and they sucked.

You guys may be onto something with the eggs. So, I'll try folding the egg whites in next saturday.
[Reply]
hammondc 11:25 AM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
When we do mix, we do Krusteaz - nothing comes close.

When we do from scratch, it is the Betty Crocker cookbook that we got when we were married 27+ years ago. We substitute 1/2 the flour for whole wheat and then double the amount of baking powder.

Here it is as prescribed (you can do the changes I suggest above for a "meatier" pancake that is still fluffy)

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy (I use an electric beater for this whole process); beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in an additional 1/4 cup mild. Pre-heat griddle (to test griddle, sprinkle a couple drops of water. If bubbles skitter around, heat is just right.)

Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter from tip of a large spoon, a laddle, or pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

To play with this, I've added apples diced to about 1/8" square and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Another is crushed pecans and touch of cinnamon and touch of nutmeg. Another is diced bananas and crushed walnuts. To do any of those, I do the batter first and then when it is ready, stir in the other ingredients.

My sons like to add M&Ms. If you add them to the mix, the colors bleed a bit and make neat designs in the batter and thence in the pancakes.

Tried gummi bears once when they were younger - not a good idea.

Hope this helps.

PS Went to the Betty Crocker website to get the recipe, there they use Biscuick - so very sad.

This recipe has the eggs till fluffy too. Maybe this is the step I am missing.
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 11:54 AM 12-15-2012
Trick for even lighter, fluffier pancakes; separate the egg and whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter just before frying.

You can also replace some of the flour with cornmeal or whole-wheat flour for a different taste and texture.
[Reply]
hammondc 12:03 PM 12-15-2012
SO you do not use the yolks at all?
[Reply]
SvilleKid 12:26 PM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
SO you do not use the yolks at all?
In my variation of this, I do use the yokes also, just separate them and fold in the stiffened whites. Also do this with waffles for much lighter texture.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:37 PM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
By meaty, I mean the opposite of fluffy. Probably a bad choice of wording. Maybe 'dense' would be better. I tried a recipe i found online this morning and they sucked.

You guys may be onto something with the eggs. So, I'll try folding the egg whites in next saturday.
The recipe I gave is a much heavier pancake, but still fluffy - especially when you mix in the stone ground whole wheat flour.

[Reply]
Up