Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Deer ham
rizzle 09:25 AM 11-26-2012
A buddy of mine has a venison ham roast that he wants me to cook. How would you guys do it? Love to hear some opinions.

Go.
[Reply]
Ubiquitous 06:37 PM 11-26-2012
When in doubt, smoke it.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:51 PM 11-26-2012
You could actually treat it like ham and brine it for a bit to cure, then, as Travis said, smoke it.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:11 PM 11-26-2012
Get some real maple syrup, not the Aunt Jemima stuff.

Dry the ham. Generously cover the ham with syrup and sprinkle very, by generously with cinnamon. Put in the fridge overnight. Dice a couple sour apples into 1/8" cubes. When ready to cook, do so either on the grill in a pan (best choice), but the oven works well set at 300 degrees. Now make sure the syrup and cinnamon mixture is thick, if not add more syrup - or even start a new mixture, now adding the diced apples and cook. Treat as beef in regard to cooking. Personally, we like it rare. A meat thermometer is a great tool at this time to get the center to the proper temp.

Serve thinly sliced with the juices and apple chunks liberally drizzled over the sliced venison.

I also like to adde cursed black walnuts or pecans to the apples and I the cooking. Each adds their own unique flavor.

TOO MANY PEOPLE OVERCOOK VENISON THINKING IT NEEDS TO BE COOKED COMPLETELY AND THEN COMPLAIN It IS TOUGH.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:22 PM 11-26-2012
I didn't even know there was such a thing as Venison Ham...

I learn all kinds of new things from you guys... Guess I need to buy my friend a box of 30-06 and tell him to get to work... :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 11:08 AM 11-27-2012
What should I get the internal temp up to? Overcooking and lack of fat are my biggest concerns with it.
[Reply]
Ubiquitous 05:04 PM 11-27-2012
135-145 is good for most red meats. Also, if you're worried about it drying out, you can inject it with some melted garlic butter.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:12 PM 11-27-2012
Originally Posted by rizzle:
What should I get the internal temp up to? Overcooking and lack of fat are my biggest concerns with it.
You can always drape slices of bacon over it to add some fat.
[Reply]
Up