Page 3 of 3
< 123
Good Eats>Deep Fried Turkey
Savor the Stick 01:31 PM 11-06-2012
I'm Hungry!

I'll be watching this thread. :-)

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:44 PM 11-06-2012
I have a deep fried turkey planned for the big day. If it rains or is too cold out, I am doing it on the smoker instead.

I plan on brining, seasoning, then cold smoking a little before the deep frier.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 02:24 PM 11-06-2012
This is really good stuff. I am getting up the courage to try one myself.

Thoughts on equipment? How big of a pot do you recommend? I think I could borrow, but I would consider buying a propane cooker and a pot. Would be used as a crawfish boiler, too.
[Reply]
jluck 05:07 PM 11-06-2012
We do quite a few deep fried turkeys a year, Even take the fryer up to the mountains on snow day and have a piping hot turkey to eat. There great fun and excellent eats. Idiots need not apply though, Use common sense, a few physics (of displacement and combustibles), formulas and viola! yum!:-)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 06:29 PM 11-06-2012
Sorry guys, forgot to post the picture I took. The turkeys came out great! Not bad for my first try. So tasty and juicy. Beats the hell out of roasting. I was also amazed how quickly it cooked as opposed to traditional methods. I'll post pics of the pork butt I deep fry next weekend :-)

[Reply]
Savor the Stick 09:35 AM 11-07-2012
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
Sorry guys, forgot to post the picture I took. The turkeys came out great! Not bad for my first try. So tasty and juicy. Beats the hell out of roasting. I was also amazed how quickly it cooked as opposed to traditional methods. I'll post pics of the pork butt I deep fry next weekend :-)

Can I get a drumstick?

Looks delish!

[Reply]
dijit 09:57 AM 11-07-2012
Love deep fried turkey! Frying 4 next weekend and going to hickory smoke 2 breasts as well for a pre-thanksgiving friends dinner.
[Reply]
bonjing 10:08 AM 11-07-2012
Tyr, did you use a thermometer to tell how well done the turkey was or did you just base it on time and weight?
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:18 AM 11-07-2012
Both! I based it on time and weight but also double checked with a thermometer when I pulled it out. Perfection as far as timing goes.
[Reply]
forgop 10:43 AM 11-07-2012
Originally Posted by bonjing:
Tyr, did you use a thermometer to tell how well done the turkey was or did you just base it on time and weight?
Always use a thermometer. There's so much temp chasing once the turkey is added that it can vary. The time/pound is just a general guideline to approximate the cooking time.
[Reply]
forgop 05:06 PM 11-22-2012
Here's how my oil less "fried" turkey came out. It was outstanding. I used creole butter for the marinade injection and the Chris Lilly rub.
Attached: turkey.jpg (112.7 KB) 
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:10 PM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I have a deep fried turkey planned for the big day. If it rains or is too cold out, I am doing it on the smoker instead.

I plan on brining, seasoning, then cold smoking a little before the deep frier.
Well, the turkey came out good, but I did it different than planned. I dry cured the turkey with salt, ground rosemary, and garlic powder. I rinsed the turkey off after 24 hours of curing and then coat the skin and under with smoked paprika oil. It was a 13 lb turkey and took 45 minutes at 350 in deep fryer.

It was a huge hit, my parents thought it was the best turkey I have cooked...
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up