Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Fish ribs anyone!?!
livwire68 07:53 PM 05-14-2009
So when I went on my first fishing trip in the ocean a few weeks back, I overheard many guys saying they wanted their fillets with ribs left on. Seems that most will trim them, themselves and cook them up. Seemed logical since a lot of meat can be wasted. So now when I prep the fillets I trim out the ribs and sauté in butter and some other seasoning and serve them up to those who want them or better yet me! Just wondering how many others do this. Its easier with fish that have larger bones, I still probably wont do it with most freshwater fish though!
[Reply]
DougBushBC 08:21 PM 05-14-2009
That works with REALLY big fish... Most fish under say 10 pounds wont have enough meat there to be worth it, but I ahve cooked Grouper and Tuna ribs before, and they were great!
[Reply]
fishstix 03:16 PM 06-10-2009
I belive it has to do with fat content. Don't rule out bellies and collars as well. some of the best smoked salmon peices come from those parts that most would just throw away as scraps.
[Reply]
pmp 02:09 PM 06-11-2009
deckhands can really butcher a nice catch if they are in a hurry(which they usually are).

If I catch a nice yellowtail or a small albie or yellowfin I sometimes just have them gut it and I fillet it at home. It takes time, a big ass cooler, and a sharp knife but its worth it if you want a clean looking fillet without a lot of wasted meat.
[Reply]
MadAl 04:05 PM 06-11-2009
I'm pretty handy with a knife, must be the genes, my grandfather was a butcher. Sure would like to learn how to butterfly trout.
[Reply]
rizzle 09:12 AM 06-17-2009
Nope. The ribs go in the water with the rest of the carcass.
[Reply]
Up