Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 15 of 39
« First < 5131415 161725 > Last »
Good Eats>Sous vide
CigarNut 09:14 AM 04-27-2016
What seasonings/veggies did you include in the bags, Adam?
[Reply]
T.G 09:15 AM 04-27-2016
Oh, and the MAPP gas torch wasn't mine, I just grabbed it from the tool bench. The searzall that failed on me a week or two ago was only being run with propane.
[Reply]
T.G 09:30 AM 04-27-2016
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
What seasonings/veggies did you include in the bags, Adam?
Per bag:
A handful of coarse chopped peeled garlic (about 1/3 cup I would guess)
about half an onion, sliced
1/3 of a head of cilantro, whole, stems and all
2 serrano peppers, sliced
4 fresh bay leaves*
2 tiny sprigs of rosemary (about 1" long each - don't overdo, this stuff will take over)

Divide the materials evenly across both sides of the tri-tip roast.

After I pulled them from the bags and cleaned up the herbs, I coated them with Pappy's Tri-Tip seasoning and seared over mesquite lump.

*: I have a bay leaf tree, so fresh in unlimited quantities is pretty easy for me. If you're buying bay leaf, you can probably just use one leaf torn in half.
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:33 AM 04-29-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
Anyone else with a searzall starting to see deterioration of the outer screen? I haven't even finished going through the first tank of propane and the outer screen already has a hole forming in it.
Checked my Searzall and there doesn't appear to be any hole forming.
There is a dent right in the center where the flame from the torch is, but it doesn't seem any weaker than the rest of the screen.

Those Tri-tips look fantastic!
Please tell me you seared one off with that weed burner.... You know, in the name of science. :-)

I'm getting close to convincing my wife that she needs a Santa Maria grill. When she eventually caves expect a PM, Adam.
[Reply]
T.G 06:58 AM 04-30-2016
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Checked my Searzall and there doesn't appear to be any hole forming.
There is a dent right in the center where the flame from the torch is, but it doesn't seem any weaker than the rest of the screen.

Those Tri-tips look fantastic!
Please tell me you seared one off with that weed burner.... You know, in the name of science. :-)

I'm getting close to convincing my wife that she needs a Santa Maria grill. When she eventually caves expect a PM, Adam.

Thanks for checking the searzall, Dom. Maybe the screen was just defective in the first one, the wires that failed were a distinctly different shade of blue/grey than the rest of the screen. Interesting about the dent, the screens on mine are bulged outward slightly. I've wondered about the tight spacing with the larger TS8000 torch.

I did not use the weed burner on the tri-tip. Too many witnesses.

Cool deal on the Santa Maria, lmk.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:43 PM 05-02-2016
FYI, Received an email from Anova -- the Precision Cooker is on sale for Mother's Day for $129 -- a $50 savings.

https://store.anovaculinary.com/2827...10a14-99716765
[Reply]
bugmenot 09:45 AM 05-15-2016
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
FYI, Received an email from Anova -- the Precision Cooker is on sale for Mother's Day for $129 -- a $50 savings.

https://store.anovaculinary.com/2827...10a14-99716765
Picked one up and used if last night. No pics as I ate everything too fast, but turned out great! Did a NY and some tips. Seasoning wasn't quite what I am used to, but there's nothing left so that's a good sign.
[Reply]
T.G 10:54 AM 05-15-2016
Was feeling lazy yesterday, cooked a hanger steak SV. About 8 hours at 130F. Bagged with chopped habaneros, garlic, cilantro, onion, slices of lime and bay leaf. Pappy's santa maria tri-tip seasoning and granulated garlic (about 50-50) before going on the gas grill for a sear. Worked pretty decent for a cut that can be sometimes tricky to not accidentally turn into something with a texture resembling that of chewing on a car tire.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:44 AM 05-16-2016
I have been doing a sous vide technique on steaks that does not require a sous vide...

Put steak in oven as low as it can go (200 f) for like 30-60 minutes depending on size and when it gets to around 100 or so degrees internal temperature, finish it (sear) as you normally would. Comes out great!
[Reply]
bugmenot 04:35 PM 06-05-2016
Did a cook today for some friends. Small 3lb tri tip at 132 for 6 hours, 3 racks of ribs smoked, grilled asparagus, pineapple, and corn. Tri tip came out excellent! Not sure I'll smoke one again, it was that good.
Attached: IMG_20160605_134844.jpg (119.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Bill86 06:07 PM 06-08-2016
So much good food, I had to order one. Just got it today. Any suggestions on what to start with? I'm thinking a large amount of brisket or pork. What would be easiest?

I'll have to buy a giant plastic container tomorrow and probably one of those Lodge cast iron pans.
[Reply]
massphatness 06:59 PM 06-08-2016
I am partial to tenderloin
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
T.G 08:36 PM 06-08-2016
Originally Posted by Bill86:
So much good food, I had to order one. Just got it today. Any suggestions on what to start with? I'm thinking a large amount of brisket or pork. What would be easiest?

I'll have to buy a giant plastic container tomorrow and probably one of those Lodge cast iron pans.

I've found the results to be more impressive with larger, tough roast type cuts. Like chuck roast or the various rounds. They take 18-20 hours to cook (at 131-135F) but they come out so different than how you could get them any other way. There is also something to be said about a 2" thick steak cooked to a perfect medium or medium rare all the way through without the "bullseye" effect. Something that dries out easily like pork chops or boneless chicken breast is also a good demonstration of the process.

That's where I leave off though. I only see this process as another tool, it's certainly not the be-all, end-all.

To me, things like pork butt or brisket, I can get way, way better results with my smokers. Plus, everyone knows that the ONLY true good use of brisket and navel is pastrami. Fish, shellfish, etc. - much better results with my pellet cooker than the whirlpool. Of course, YMMV.
[Reply]
Bill86 02:18 PM 06-12-2016
I tried a few chicken breasts, absolutely delicious. I need to swing by Costco or Sams and grab some roasts. Steak sounds great too.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:14 PM 06-13-2016
I put a 4 1/2 lb brisket up this evening for a 48 hour cook @ 133 degrees.

I have pureed onion, avocado oil, pepper, garlic, (lots of) tobasco, and some salt in the bag with the brisket. I have used this marinade on Sous Vide Tri-Tip a few times and they came out great, so I have high hopes for the brisket :-)

This will be my longest cook.
[Reply]
Bill86 10:57 AM 06-15-2016
Tried a grass fed ribeye yesterday. :-)

Perfect rare
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:24 PM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I put a 4 1/2 lb brisket up this evening for a 48 hour cook @ 133 degrees.

I have pureed onion, avocado oil, pepper, garlic, (lots of) tobasco, and some salt in the bag with the brisket. I have used this marinade on Sous Vide Tri-Tip a few times and they came out great, so I have high hopes for the brisket :-)

This will be my longest cook.
After I took the brisket out of the bath I let it rest for a bit, lightly seasoned it with Cook Shack dry rub and then seared it on a very hot grill for about 90 seconds on each side.

This turned out to be the best brisket that I have made -- much better than my previous one, which turned out very tough (too much salt in my rub leeched out all the moisture).

It's not near as good as the brisket markem makes on his BGE, but I was very happy with it:

Image

Image
Attached: brisket.jpg (113.1 KB) sliced.jpg (104.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Bill86 07:01 AM 06-17-2016
Looks good I might have to try a brisket. Did Italian sausage as well. Good stuff.
[Reply]
Bill86 07:13 AM 06-24-2016
Doing shredded pork next any advice? Time, temp or cut?
[Reply]
benedic08 12:44 PM 07-07-2016
Found this interesting video Adam Savage testing different ways to sear steak after Sous Vide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw
[Reply]
Page 15 of 39
« First < 5131415 161725 > Last »
Up