Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 8
« First < 456 78 >
Good Eats>Dry aging beef?
stearns 07:56 AM 04-17-2016
Man... that looks amazing. Nice looking meat Dom, I've had the 90 day dry aged steak at Carne Vino in Vegas a few times and it was out of this world, I need to get around to doing it myself some time. Thanks for the pictures :-)
[Reply]
dijit 08:04 AM 04-17-2016
Looks amazing! What temps was it dry aged at? I think this will be on my to do list this summer.
[Reply]
T.G 08:49 AM 04-17-2016
Nice.

Can you post a link for the dry aging vacuum bag system? I know we talked about this 2 weeks ago, but I forgot the brand already.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:33 AM 04-17-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
Nice.

Can you post a link for the dry aging vacuum bag system? I know we talked about this 2 weeks ago, but I forgot the brand already.
http://drybagsteak.com/
[Reply]
markem 09:40 AM 04-17-2016
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Mike eating some steak! :-)

Image
You are a bad man in the best possible way, Dom.

I'm so drooling over this. Going to have to check the settings on the fridge now and consider getting some of the bags that Peter uses for dry aging.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:42 AM 04-17-2016
Originally Posted by markem:
You are a bad man in the best possible way, Dom.

I'm so drooling over this. Going to have to check the settings on the fridge now and consider getting some of the bags that Peter uses for dry aging.
Dom only recently pointed me toward that site. I have yet to take the plunge.
[Reply]
T.G 09:50 AM 04-17-2016
Originally Posted by pnoon:
http://drybagsteak.com/
Thanks. Growing older sucks, that's the same one I posted in this thread 5 years ago but forgot all about.


Originally Posted by T.G:
Check this slick arrangement out: Steamykitchen tests the Drybag aging system

[Reply]
Porch Dweller 10:43 AM 04-17-2016
That just looks amazingly tasty. I just ate lunch yet I'm :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 02:15 PM 04-17-2016
Nice Dom. Might have to try that. In my chef days I'd wet age for 30 to 60 days. Loved the result.
[Reply]
jonumberone 02:27 PM 04-17-2016
Thanks for the great comments, guys.

Originally Posted by dijit:
Looks amazing! What temps was it dry aged at? I think this will be on my to do list this summer.
I didn't go through the trouble of checking the temps this time around.
I just placed it on a rack and rotated it every 7 days.
I imagine wherever you have your kitchen fridge set at would be fine.
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:08 AM 05-23-2016
I took the bone in roast to day 60. Big difference from day 42 to day 60. A much more pronounced steak flavor, a firmer texture, and a hint of funk. The funk had an almost cheese like aroma and taste to it. It probably doesn't sound appetizing when I describe it, but trust me, it was awesome. The funk added a new layer of flavor that really took the meat over the top.
Another surprise was the firmer texture. It's a hard thing to wrap your head around. The texture is firmer, but the meat is more tender. It almost seems like it should be the other way around.
If I were to do this again, I don't think I would consider doing it for less than 60 days.

Out of the bag - Day 60

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:31 AM 05-23-2016
^^ Those look great ^^

I have been using Koji rice to dry age beef with great results. Can do the same as a month of dry aging in 48 hours. Just grind the rice to a powder, coat meat, leave uncovered in fridge for 48 hours, rinse off rice and then pat dry/season meat.

A lot easier than waiting a month plus and doesn't dry out the meat.

I also saw some dry age boxes that go into a fridge the add regulate the humidity for proper dry aging.
[Reply]
T.G 08:05 AM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
^^ Those look great ^^

I have been using Koji rice to dry age beef with great results. Can do the same as a month of dry aging in 48 hours. Just grind the rice to a powder, coat meat, leave uncovered in fridge for 48 hours, rinse off rice and then pat dry/season meat.

A lot easier than waiting a month plus and doesn't dry out the meat.

I also saw some dry age boxes that go into a fridge the add regulate the humidity for proper dry aging.
That must be some magic rice, getting the enzymes that normally take weeks to break down the meat to do all of their work in 48 hours.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:08 AM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
That must be some magic rice, getting the enzymes that normally take weeks to break down the meat to do all of their work in 48 hours.
Yes, magic rice with a price tag to match. I did a thick steak for a little longer than 48 hours and a small part became grey from curing. The meat has a nice fresh smell to it. This technique is good for individual steaks. Big hunk of meat could take longer. I've done it just on eye roasts and steaks.
[Reply]
T.G 08:17 AM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Yes, magic rice with a price tag to match. I did a thick steak for a little longer than 48 hours and a small part became grey from curing. The meat has a nice fresh smell to it. This technique is good for individual steaks. Big hunk of meat could take longer. I've done it just on eye roasts and steaks.
Still, it's a totally different process. You're fermenting the meat, it's a bit different.

I'm glad you are getting good results though. Based on your recommendation, I'll give it a try. Is this the stuff you are using and just grinding it?

http://www.amazon.com/MIYAKO-Malted-.../dp/B004FH67ZQ
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:49 AM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
Still, it's a totally different process. You're fermenting the meat, it's a bit different.

I'm glad you are getting good results though. Based on your recommendation, I'll give it a try. Is this the stuff you are using and just grinding it?

http://www.amazon.com/MIYAKO-Malted-.../dp/B004FH67ZQ
This is a good guide with detail to the process: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitch...-shortcut-koji

That looks similar to what I bought from amazon and was drop shipped from Japan.
[Reply]
BigAsh 02:11 PM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I took the bone in roast to day 60. Big difference from day 42 to day 60. A much more pronounced steak flavor, a firmer texture, and a hint of funk. The funk had an almost cheese like aroma and taste to it. It probably doesn't sound appetizing when I describe it, but trust me, it was awesome. The funk added a new layer of flavor that really took the meat over the top.
Another surprise was the firmer texture. It's a hard thing to wrap your head around. The texture is firmer, but the meat is more tender. It almost seems like it should be the other way around.
If I were to do this again, I don't think I would consider doing it for less than 60 days.

Out of the bag - Day 60

Image

Image


Image
Meh...


:-)


I can attest to the fact that dem steaks were fan-farking-tastic! :-)
[Reply]
dijit 03:59 PM 05-23-2016
Great now I am damn starving all over again! Thanks a lot!
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:40 AM 05-25-2016
Moses, what cuts of steak have you tried this on?
I was planning to do it on a couple of 2 inch thick Porterhouses before I read in the link you posted to use thin cuts like Flank, or Skirt steak.
Would it work on a thicker cut? Or am I better off sticking to the recommendations in the article?
[Reply]
nutcracker 06:39 AM 05-25-2016
Dom - do you have to use their special bags, or would sous vide vacuum bags work?
[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 456 78 >
Up