Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor wood species
Amr 01:55 PM 02-17-2016
Hi! I'm relatively new to the world of cigar. Got fascinated quickly and my plans of keeping a max of 100 cigars just melt away! I want to build a humidor and I was wondering what wood types I should use. Did some research and I think I'll do the interior lining from cidar and the cigar box in mahogany solid wood along with its own outer veneer. Is this a good decision?
[Reply]
markem 02:01 PM 02-17-2016
Do not use cedar. Use Spanish Cedar. Very different wood. Take a look at the accessories area and you will find a few members that make humidors. You can certainly ask the some detail and I suspect that they will chime in here.

Welcome and I wish you the best on creating the humidor of your dreams.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:14 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by markem:
Do not use cedar. Use Spanish Cedar. Very different wood. Take a look at the accessories area and you will find a few members that make humidors. You can certainly ask the some detail and I suspect that they will chime in here.

Welcome and I wish you the best on creating the humidor of your dreams.
Who are you and what did you do with Mark?!

I agree, there are a few guys that craft humidors and when they post new boxes they show they post woods used, dimensions, slots for humidification (when Boveda packs are used), stuff like that there.
[Reply]
T.G 09:50 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Amr:
Hi! I'm relatively new to the world of cigar. Got fascinated quickly and my plans of keeping a max of 100 cigars just melt away! I want to build a humidor and I was wondering what wood types I should use. Did some research and I think I'll do the interior lining from cidar and the cigar box in mahogany solid wood along with its own outer veneer. Is this a good decision?
You can do the whole thing in mahogany if you want. As Mark said, don't use cedar which is a softwood like pine, but use spanish cedar (terrible misnomer), which is actually a hardwood in the mahogany family. Spanish cedar originally came to prevalence due to it's lower cost than mahogany.
[Reply]
Amr 09:01 AM 02-18-2016
Many thanks to all of you.
[Reply]
Up