Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Just finished my latest humidor project
ammodors 01:37 PM 01-04-2016
Just finished my latest large custom cigar humidor build using a vintage US Military surplus wood crate that originally held 105mm rounds for M395 Howitzer cannons.

Lined with 1/4" solid Spanish Cedar, has two removable top trays, cherry stained, cedar Boveda pack holder and Xikar Digital hygrometer.

Purchased this box from a Army/Navy surplus (along with a few others) a couple of years ago and have been meaning to play with it. Finally got around to building one for a customer! Turned out great. Love the history of boxes like this.

More pics here.
Attached: IMG_1488.jpg (94.8 KB) 
[Reply]
longknocker 01:46 PM 01-04-2016
Looks Good, Kevin!:-):-) Approximately How Many Cigars Will It Hold?
[Reply]
ammodors 02:06 PM 01-04-2016
Thanks man!

Without the trays/dividers probably around 1000. 500-750 with the trays in place since they consume a good bit of the space.

I like doing them with the separate removable trays so you could actually take out one or both trays and stack cigar boxes as well.
[Reply]
czerbe 02:32 PM 01-04-2016
well done
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 04:42 PM 01-04-2016
Sweet!
[Reply]
sigsauer 05:18 PM 01-04-2016
awesome
[Reply]
weedsnager 10:29 PM 01-04-2016
Very nice !!
[Reply]
ahot1pilot 10:26 AM 01-05-2016
Great looking humidor. I'm currently deployed with the military in the dry climate of the dessert. Do you know of some field expedient ways to keep cigars properly conditioned with out a good humidor???
[Reply]
ammodors 10:38 AM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by ahot1pilot:
Great looking humidor. I'm currently deployed with the military in the dry climate of the dessert. Do you know of some field expedient ways to keep cigars properly conditioned with out a good humidor???
First, thanks a ton for your service. You guys are my heroes. :-)

Any container will work for a humidor as long as is air-tight/semi-airtight. Doesn't need wood...doesn't even have to be specifically a commercial made "humidor".

For example, check out our ammo can humidors at ammodors.com. Just surplus ammo cans converted to humidors. We line them with wood but that's totally optional in your situation. We do sell DIY kits that include the wood if you ever get to that point (don't forget our Cigar Asylum and military discount codes).

For now, grab an extra ammo can that you probably have laying around, clean it out REALLY well (soap and vinegar works well) and then see if you can get your hands on some Boveda packs. They are the easiest humidifiers to use by far and will do all the hard work for you to keep your sticks fresh.

Ammo cans make the easiest, simplest and best damn working humidor money can buy! Good luck and stay safe.
[Reply]
ammodors 09:42 AM 01-25-2016
Just finished another one. This time with a vintage US military surplus 81mm mortar shell wooden ammo box dated 1971. Little bit smaller (no top trays). Let me know what you guys think!

View more pics here.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 10:42 AM 01-25-2016
Very cool!
[Reply]
sigsauer 11:40 AM 01-25-2016
what price range do these fall in?
[Reply]
Dave128 11:52 AM 01-25-2016
Looks really nice. How does the seal on the old wooden crates compare to ammo cans?
[Reply]
czerbe 01:31 PM 01-25-2016
I was wondering how the humidity holds up in those things?
[Reply]
ammodors 08:07 AM 01-26-2016
Thanks all!

Originally Posted by sigsauer:
what price range do these fall in?
I do custom ones like these for around ~$500. This small one posted above will probably go closer to $350 plus. The original one I posted sold for around $600 with hardware.

Originally Posted by Dave128:
Looks really nice. How does the seal on the old wooden crates compare to ammo cans?
They certainly don't hold air like our "production" model Ammodors made from metal ammo cans with rubber gaskets - that are 100% air tight. But they hold as well as a traditional wooden humidor does. I use the same sort of overlapping wood technique on the inside so that when the lid closes down the wood itself creates a typical "seal".
[Reply]
afranco 04:15 PM 01-26-2016
Very coo
[Reply]
Sooner 04:29 PM 01-26-2016
Wow. You do incredible work!
[Reply]
Dave128 09:29 AM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by ammodors:
They certainly don't hold air like our "production" model Ammodors made from metal ammo cans with rubber gaskets - that are 100% air tight. But they hold as well as a traditional wooden humidor does. I use the same sort of overlapping wood technique on the inside so that when the lid closes down the wood itself creates a typical "seal".
Thanks for the explanation. Something worth thinking about.
[Reply]
Up