Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Hermetic Jar storage
Smokin0808 12:57 AM 11-22-2013
I've got some infused cigars - Tabak Especial, Isla Del Sol, and a few others. I know these should be kept separate from non-infused, but don't want to set up another humi. Will a hermetic Jar work? Just attach a round humidifier to the lid? Any problems with a setup like this.
[Reply]
Dude Here 04:09 AM 11-22-2013
As long as the seal is airtight it will work fine.
[Reply]
T.G 06:21 AM 11-22-2013
If the seal on the jar is good, you might not even need the humidifier. If you do use one, you're probably better off with a boveda pack because being a 2-way system, it has a much lesser chance of over humidifying the cigars.
[Reply]
Heavy_d 06:54 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
If the seal on the jar is good, you might not even need the humidifier. If you do use one, you're probably better off with a boveda pack because being a 2-way system, it has a much lesser chance of over humidifying the cigars.
:-) +1. I've been using a boveda pack in my tupperdor since I set it up, and it works perfect. Don't have to worry about too much or too little humidity. The ultimate in set it and forget it humidification. (No, I'm not getting paid for this endorsement, just been really impressed with their product, lol)
[Reply]
stearns 06:57 AM 11-22-2013
Another plus to the boveda pack idea, just go pick up one or two of their small travel packs, we used to sell them for $1 or give them away if you bought a couple smokes. Perfect for a situation like this :-)
[Reply]
Smokin0808 11:34 PM 11-22-2013
How about the Xikar Crystal Humidifiers? It would be nice to have a round humidifier that could be attached to the lid.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:07 AM 11-23-2013
The Xikar humidifiers are just gel with PG solution. Good at releasing moisture but not so good at absorbing. I am a little biased but IMHO you would be better off with beads -- either HCM (see below) or Heartfelt (www.heartfeltindustries.com)
[Reply]
shilala 09:33 AM 11-23-2013
I used to keep a couple dozen kinds of flavored sticks around for non-smoking company and friends. I kept each different kind in bail jars from Walmart. The plastic ones kinda take up the smell of the sticks, so I switched to glass ones.
I made handy-dandy bead bags that laid in the bottom of the jars. They were round and flat and held about an ounce of beads. Worked great.
I'd roll with the HCM beads or the little Boveda packs Ben mentioned. Either way you can't lose. :-)
[Reply]
mk05 10:04 AM 11-23-2013
Double Ziplock bags and call it a day.
[Reply]
Smokin0808 01:52 PM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by mk05:
Double Ziplock bags and call it a day.
LOL, that's what I've been using, but want something will a little more "crush" protection.
[Reply]
Smokin0808 06:51 PM 11-25-2013
Anyone have any experience with visol humidors? They look nice, and aren't too pricey.
[Reply]
Smoqman 12:29 PM 12-04-2013
I'm also wondering about mold potential in sealed jars that are not opened often enough.

Any reason to be concerned?
[Reply]
Heavy_d 12:34 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Smoqman:
I'm also wondering about mold potential in sealed jars that are not opened often enough.

Any reason to be concerned?
Not sure about the jars, but I use an air tight Tupperware and I've found the best solution is just to open it every week or so and let the air exchange. Of course, this just gives me an excuse to open it up and get a stick out to enjoy.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:41 PM 12-04-2013
Cello covers on the flavored cigars should work, but I would keep the separated as much as possible.
[Reply]
Up