Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Help - Whats the Deal w/ My Sticks
kqueen 07:54 PM 04-14-2010
Hey guys - I am a bit baffled and need some input.
I live in AZ, obviously a very dry climate. I have an avallo cabinet and keep 4 electronic hygros inside. They each read anwhere between 66 degrees F to 69 degrees F and 65% RH to 69% RH depending on what shelf its on.

I have been grabbing a number of cigars lately that have been aging for a while, and when I pinch them between my fingers, I can hear the wrapper make a snap/cracking sound. Does this mean they are dried out? It seems my conditions in my humidor are reading fine, so why are they doing this. Are they ok, too dry, too wet? Are they still smokeable? If not now, can I bring them back?

Would love any input.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 07:56 PM 04-14-2010
Every cigar I have ever touched does that unless they are very wet. If the cigars are smoking fine, I wouldn't give it another thought.

:-)
[Reply]
RightAJ 07:57 PM 04-14-2010
Have you had any problems with them smoking differently?

aj
[Reply]
Noomis 07:58 PM 04-14-2010
I live in Vegas, and have experienced something similar. If you're keeping your sticks in good condition (which it seems like you are), I wouldn't worry about them––removing them from a humid environment into such a dry one can have the effect you describe.
[Reply]
kqueen 08:05 PM 04-14-2010
No - they burn fine (great actually), taste great. Thats why I have never really thought more about it. Then I started picking up a few and squeezing them, and I am used to the wet mushy feel of a B&M, and when I squeezed some, They created a popping sound as if the wrapper or filler inside even was popping and I was afraid they were dried out. It made no sense as my conditions seem great from all my electronic read outs.
[Reply]
RightAJ 08:06 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by kqueen:
No - they burn fine (great actually), taste great.
Thats all that is important:-)

aj
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:07 PM 04-14-2010
'dry' has a peculiar taste to it.
If it doesn't taste peculiar, do it!
That's my motto.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:07 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by kqueen:
No - they burn fine (great actually), taste great. Thats why I have never really thought more about it. Then I started picking up a few and squeezing them, and I am used to the wet mushy feel of a B&M, and when I squeezed some, They created a popping sound as if the wrapper or filler inside even was popping and I was afraid they were dried out. It made no sense as my conditions seem great from all my electronic read outs.
You're golden. Stop squeezing them. :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:09 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
You're golden. Stop squeezing them. :-)
That's what she said!
[Reply]
Bigwaved 08:09 PM 04-14-2010
Vegas tried to kill my cigars last time I was there. Damn desert.
[Reply]
kqueen 08:11 PM 04-14-2010
Ok cool - I just feel better knowing I have not run into any major red flag. Just my own humidor insecurities, too bad I don't have a cigar shrink ( I suppose thats ya'll). Will continue as is and feel better my investment is safe and still enjoyable.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:15 PM 04-14-2010
I think people stress way too much over the numbers. We get way too anal about a fluctuation of a few points in temp or RH. As long as we're happy with the way our cigars are smoking, does the actual temp/RH really matter? Personally, I think not.
(Yes. I know about beetles and mold but that is the extreme.)
[Reply]
kqueen 08:20 PM 04-14-2010
Yeah, I really don't stress about my numbers, I truly set and forget. And have felt good about the taste I was getting. But I have many boxes, and some reserved for long aging, and I was concerned they weren't keeping well for some reason I was unaware of. But sounds like I will continue on as I have been. Aging and enjoying, with more confidence that there is nothing out of the ordinary.
[Reply]
neoflex 09:12 PM 04-14-2010
That sound is pretty normal. Most B&Ms are way to wet which is why you will find that their cigars are rather mushy feeling rather than being firm but if your keeping your sticks between 65-68% they will have a little crackling to them when pinched. Just as long as the wrapper isn't cracking and bursting on you when doing so than I would say your right around where you need to be especially since you mentioned that they are smoking great. I do feel for you living in your particular climate. I know winters damn near give me stress every year as I find I am always refilling the Oasis and beads whereas the summer not so much. I prob couldn't handle that all year round.
[Reply]
dyieldin 09:40 PM 04-14-2010
I am in AZ(Phoenix) as well and noticed the same issue. I did raise my RH up a tad to about 68-69. Not that much of a raise but did the trick. Some stick are just noisier than others as well.

-Dave
[Reply]
kqueen 09:55 PM 04-14-2010
Cool , I love the reassurance. Nay raise a % and see what happens.
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 10:03 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
That sound is pretty normal. Most B&Ms are way to wet which is why you will find that their cigars are rather mushy feeling rather than being firm but if your keeping your sticks between 65-68% they will have a little crackling to them when pinched. Just as long as the wrapper isn't cracking and bursting on you when doing so than I would say your right around where you need to be especially since you mentioned that they are smoking great. I do feel for you living in your particular climate. I know winters damn near give me stress every year as I find I am always refilling the Oasis and beads whereas the summer not so much. I prob couldn't handle that all year round.
my thoughts exactly...
[Reply]
Bigwaved 10:21 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
(Yes. I know about beetles and mold but that is the extreme.)
Not if you are as old as you are. Those problems are common...oh, you were talking about the cigars. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:28 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by Bigwaved:
Not if you are as old as you are. Those problems are common...oh, you were talking about the cigars. :-)
[Reply]
borndead1 03:25 PM 04-15-2010
In my opinion, if they DON'T crackle just a little bit when I squeeze them, they are too wet for me.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up