Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Time to upgrade hygrometers....suggestions?
jluck 11:12 AM 02-04-2012
I have learned that digital is a must and calibrate-able is a nice feature...so is there any real stand outs right now in the world of hygrometers? any secret sources for good deals?

I do want digital and adjustable.

Btw...I am salt testing my current digital and two analogs that were in a drawer. the Talley is currently...one analog at 35% one at 75% spot on and digital at 70% very interesting.
[Reply]
dwoodward 11:28 AM 02-04-2012
A lot of people use these:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...at=Hygrometers

I use the circle ones, but I have seen alot of people using the rectangle ones. Both can be calibrated and for an extra couple bucks you can order them with a calibration pack. The calibration packs are much better than the "salt-test" because if you add too much water or too little water it can be off.
[Reply]
T.G 12:00 PM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
A lot of people use these:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...at=Hygrometers

I use the circle ones, but I have seen alot of people using the rectangle ones. Both can be calibrated and for an extra couple bucks you can order them with a calibration pack. The calibration packs are much better than the "salt-test" because if you add too much water or too little water it can be off.
Search around, you can get a better price than what HF is selling them for. I know Michael @ HCMbeads.com has them for less as do a few other places.

You don't have to use the calibration pack, any boveda pack is fine, they're all the same.
[Reply]
jluck 12:05 PM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Search around, you can get a better price than what HF is selling them for. I know Michael @ HCMbeads.com has them for less as do a few other places.

You don't have to use the calibration pack, any boveda pack is fine, they're all the same.
I met with Michael yesterday....I guess I should have thought about it....:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:19 PM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
I met with Michael yesterday....I guess I should have thought about it....:-)
Now you have an excuse to drive all those miles and visit me again at the Shilo :-)
[Reply]
shilala 03:26 PM 02-04-2012
Yep, pm Michael. He'll hook you up. :-)
I have dozens of those hygrometers. They're the best I ever found. I calibrate them at 65% with Boveda bags and buy the batteries by the 100 pack at ebay (next batch will be from Amazon).
The shelf life on the batteries must be forever because the last time I ordered them I was married to my ex. That's gotta be at least 8-9 years ago. I think I'm real close to needing to order more.
[Reply]
lenguamor 04:07 PM 02-04-2012
Honestly, just get beads. They're plug-and-play, you'll never have to buy another hygrometer.
[Reply]
jluck 04:19 PM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
Honestly, just get beads. They're plug-and-play, you'll never have to buy another hygrometer.
Got two pounds yesterday.
:-)
I guess I would like the piece of mind of the hygrometer.
[Reply]
lenguamor 05:28 PM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Got two pounds yesterday.
I guess I would like the piece of mind of the hygrometer.

[Reply]
maconusmile 06:59 PM 02-09-2012
The Xikar 832 XI is my hygrometer of choice. I found them pretty cheap on amazon at 18 bucks a piece with free shipping so I bought 6 of them. I would love to have 6 more so I can place two in each humidor side by side to verify the accuracy at all times.
[Reply]
trendo 07:19 PM 02-09-2012
I have had the best luck with the round. Cbid usually has them for fifteen with the quickbuy, less if you bid. I have been doing the salt test, but lately I have been thinking about calibrating them with beads in a tupperware. It takes a little longer to level out, but I found that they are always dead on. For the record, I use heartfelts, but I have heard nothing but good things about the clay.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 08:24 PM 02-09-2012
I have a xikar and a caliber III. Both work good, but the battery compartment on the xikar is terrible. I had to stick some paper between the battery and the cover to keep the battery from coming loose from the contact. The caliber is awesome, but I can't comment on how long it will stay accurate. It can't be calibrated.
[Reply]
falconman515 12:39 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
I have a xikar and a caliber III. Both work good, but the battery compartment on the xikar is terrible. I had to stick some paper between the battery and the cover to keep the battery from coming loose from the contact. The caliber is awesome, but I can't comment on how long it will stay accurate. It can't be calibrated.
+1

Love my two Caliber III's

They are perfect out of the box and have been for over six months now.
[Reply]
Up