Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Prince: The Internet is dead
markem 11:54 AM 07-06-2010
The music industry might be embracing digital and online technology, but Prince is not convinced that it’s a good thing.

"The Internet's completely over,” Prince told British tabloid publication, in his first newspaper interview in 10 years. “I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.”

Full article here: http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07...s-dead/?hpt=T2

Sounds an awful lot like Ken Olsen's pronouncement of 1977: There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. Note that DEC no longer exists, but we have computers in the home. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:02 PM 07-06-2010
Isn't the career of Prince dead for years?
[Reply]
jledou 12:05 PM 07-06-2010
Maybe he forgot the all as in "The internet completely ALL over" hmmm anyone else see him being lost (unknown) to anyone born past 1985? .......... but he has it right the internet is worthless just ask the Bieber kid .......
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:12 PM 07-06-2010
I couldn't read this thread because... the Internet is dead!!!:-)
[Reply]
md4958 12:22 PM 07-06-2010
youre gonna have to explain who Prince is to some of the younger kids... he hasnt been relevant for quite a while now :-):-):-)
[Reply]
AD720 12:28 PM 07-06-2010
No one will appreciate Prince until he is gone. While he is nuts (I love him anyway) the meaning behind his message is true. Get off the internet, go create. He is very protective (rightfully so) of his intellectual property. I like that he tells iTunes to go pound sand.

BTW the new stuff I've heard from Prince is really good, if you like Prince. His Superbowl half-time show performance was, IMO, the best in history.
[Reply]
Pat1075 12:29 PM 07-06-2010
I can't find the key to spell his name:-)
maybe that's why he doesn't like it.
[Reply]
Lear31MX 12:32 PM 07-06-2010
Prince WHO :-), what the hell does he know about the internet anyway, Now if I have some questions about a$$ less pants he would be the guy to see.
[Reply]
poker 12:33 PM 07-06-2010
Remember, its not actually "Prince" anymore. Its now "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" (or TAFKAP), or just by the symbol belowImage
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
AD720 12:35 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by poker:
Remember, its not actually "Prince" anymore. Its now "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" (or TAFKAP), or just by the symbol belowImage
Actually he is the Artist Formerly Known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. :-) He's been back to Prince for the last ten years or so.
[Reply]
macsauce13 12:38 PM 07-06-2010
I think he went back to Prince. Not positive but I think I heard that a while back.
[Reply]
macsauce13 12:39 PM 07-06-2010
Beat me to it.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:53 PM 07-06-2010
While Prince has always done things his way...I believe it is finally catching up to him. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 01:12 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
The music industry might be embracing digital and online technology, but Prince is not convinced that it’s a good thing.

"The Internet's completely over,” Prince told British tabloid publication, in his first newspaper interview in 10 years. “I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.”

Full article here: http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07...s-dead/?hpt=T2

Sounds an awful lot like Ken Olsen's pronouncement of 1977: There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. Note that DEC no longer exists, but we have computers in the home. :-)
Prince is kind of an odd person. Musically, he's a freaking genius, and while is is a bit off center, he's usually much better spoken than what was presented in that blog. I'd suspect there is more to his statements than was presented. I don't recall him being much of the type to just go off that like that without some reason.

And even if he was, I care about his internet predictions about as much as I care about what any musical artist has to say about something other than music.

Originally Posted by poker:

Nah. IIRC, that whole symbol thing was due to the label owning the rights to the stage name "Prince" and when he split from his old record label (MCA?), there was a lawsuit over if he could use the name, and while I don't remember if it was by settlement or legal judgement, but eventually he was awarded the rights to the name over a decade ago.
[Reply]
KingJaffeJoffer 01:13 PM 07-06-2010
That's funny. The Internet says, 'Prince is completely over'.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:30 PM 07-06-2010
He wore a raspberry beret...the kind you find in a second hand store.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:32 PM 07-06-2010
So, lemme see if I've got this straight - the Internet is dead because Prince ain't getting paid. Is that about right?
[Reply]
T.G 01:36 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
And even if he was, I care about his internet predictions about as much as I care about what any musical artist has to say about something other than music.
Might help if I clarified that I don't don't give a **** what they think, in fact, it would really be nice if they'd just lean to STFU and do what they are being paid to do - entertain. If I want an opinion on something other than music, I'll get it from someone qualified in that field.
[Reply]
T.G 01:38 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
So, lemme see if I've got this straight - the Internet is dead because Prince ain't getting paid. Is that about right?
Except that he's been giving his albums away for free for a number of years now.
[Reply]
icantbejon 01:44 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Might help if I clarified that I don't don't give a **** what they think, in fact, it would really be nice if they'd just lean to STFU and do what they are being paid to do - entertain. If I want an opinion on something other than music, I'll get it from someone qualified in that field.
I always find this opinion ammusing. My wife shares your sentiments. I tend to disagree...for the most part. If Britney Spears starts babbling about world peace...I'm going to tune out and look at her (o)(o)s. However, when a guy like Bono, from U2, starts talking world peace, I believe its a mistake to not listen. He's invested decades into pushing for peace. He knows his information better than a lot of politicians I would suspect (i.e. Palin and her "foreign policy" experience w/ Russia....scary). Furthermore...just think a few decades ago when music was so politically driven. The 60's and 70's are saturated with policitally motivated music. Just because a person chooses an outlet such as entertainment, I don't believe that should discredit them from an opinion. If they take the time to research the subject, I believe that makes them an outstanding spokesperson because they have mass appeal.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up