Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Using a wood screw as a tool to nub
nozero 02:13 PM 11-08-2008
without burning my fingers. Anybody else do this?

I was experimenting using an old anodized black, slightly rusted sheet metal screw, then my wife bought me package of eight 6x2-1/2 flat Phillips Zinc wood screws.

I screw it in about a half inch from the head when I've got enough left to handle it easliy. Works like a charm. Some wrappers crack or split a little, some not at all and I've had no leaks or noticeable impact on taste yet. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
:-)
Enjoy!
[Reply]
markem 02:31 PM 11-08-2008
I don't use a screw anymore, but did once on a camping trip. What I use now is a pair of self-closing tweezers. You apply pressure to open the jaws and they self close when no pressure is applied. Never had one break the wrapper and you can nub it to the end. I think mine cost about $6 at a hobby store.
[Reply]
Cigary 02:45 PM 11-08-2008
I got the STogie Nubber,,its only $12 and it is worth every cent.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:51 PM 11-08-2008
I use a wooden toothpick
[Reply]
jitzy 04:44 PM 11-08-2008
I still burn my fingers
[Reply]
Skywalker 05:44 PM 11-08-2008
Bamboo Skewers work good too!!!
[Reply]
bobarian 12:44 AM 11-09-2008
I use a flat head mini screwdriver, it keeps the nub from spinning around.
[Reply]
nozero 08:02 AM 11-09-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I use a wooden toothpick
I was using a wooden toothpick before I moved on to the screw. After you get down to it, the wood adds some taste characteristics that I sometimes didn't enjoy. Also, the screw prevents the nub from turning on you when you go to draw.

I can't see spending $12.99 plus shipping for a nubber, but that's just me. I'd rather spend it on a cigar or two.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:48 AM 11-09-2008
I know Ucubed uses chopsticks as a nubbing tool
[Reply]
nozero 08:52 AM 11-09-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I know Ucubed uses chopsticks as a nubbing tool
Yes, I've seen the pictures. Another good idea, especially with the added rubber band to keep them holding on to the nub.
[Reply]
CBI_2 09:02 AM 11-09-2008
I use my small Swiss army knife. Small blade sharp enough to pierce the nub easily without any damage. Sharp edge away though is very important. :-)

Have used my larger knife also but a little harder to do with the larger thicker blade.
[Reply]
nozero 02:03 PM 11-09-2008
Originally Posted by CBI_2:
I use my small Swiss army knife. Small blade sharp enough to pierce the nub easily without any damage. Sharp edge away though is very important. :-)

Have used my larger knife also but a little harder to do with the larger thicker blade.
I've used the small Swiss army knife method too and it worked very well. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 03:47 PM 11-09-2008
I've used tooth picks, corn on the cob holders and paper clips before, but never a screw.
[Reply]
alley00p 02:58 PM 11-15-2008
Fissure30 gave me a pipe tool that I carry in my pocket all the time. I have found this invaluable to nub those ends that I just don't want to stop enjoying!

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Savvy 03:27 PM 11-15-2008
I never really get too far into nubbing cigars, but the furthest I went was with a WOAM. I really enjoyed that cigar. And thanks to replicantargent, I was able to nub it to just about nothing with a fondue fork. So yeah, if I ever get to that point with a cigar again, it's going on a fork.
[Reply]
Cigary 03:50 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by nozero:
I was using a wooden toothpick before I moved on to the screw. After you get down to it, the wood adds some taste characteristics that I sometimes didn't enjoy. Also, the screw prevents the nub from turning on you when you go to draw.

I can't see spending $12.99 plus shipping for a nubber, but that's just me. I'd rather spend it on a cigar or two.
I thought that way to until I saw how much more smoking I was able to get out of a cigar with a nubber. The avg is about another 5 minutes of enjoyment for a one time cost. Multiply that over a period of time and you get your money back pretty quick but if you like the screw,,,I say continue with what you like.
[Reply]
Martin 06:23 PM 11-15-2008
Sweetness clips RULE
[Reply]
Bear 11:47 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by Martin:
Sweetness clips RULE
+1

I wasn't going to mention them, but the creator of the Sweetness clip is not only a GENIUS, he's a heck of a guy too. :-)
[Reply]
skyhigh340 07:15 AM 11-16-2008
just the paper clip for me!:-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 10:45 AM 11-16-2008
My only concern with using a screw as a nub tool is that many screws are plated in the production process. Some of the plating materials (cadmium comes to mind) are extremely bad for your health. I wouldn't want to take risks with the potential for ingesting/"inhaling" anything these plating materials might give off if heated.

I just stick with toothpicks.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up