Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>411 on punch
JD11 05:59 PM 10-24-2008
I'm interested in trying a punch and I need a little info from the masses here . Are there different sizes ? If so what size do you use ? and is 1 type better than another ? I really don't want to spend a lot in case I don't decide to go that route but I'd like to try one..

any and all input is much appreciated... Thanks
[Reply]
TXRebel 06:31 PM 10-24-2008
Pick up an inexpensive one from your local B&M or add one to an order that you place online. Then if you decide that you like a punch, you can get a better one. I got one of these from CI.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:03 AM 10-25-2008
what's the main difference between cutting and punching a cigar? I mean, I know what the difference is, but will it really change the way you enjoy a cigar?
[Reply]
FrequenC 10:52 AM 10-25-2008
You will have a tighter draw with a punch, so it's good for cigars with notoriously lose draws. I find that a smoke will last longer with a punch instead of a cut.

What I usually do is punch first, if I find the draw is much too tight then I'll go ahead and snippity-snip-snip.
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 03:52 PM 10-25-2008
Grab a .99 cent cheapy first to see if you like it, cigarbid has them up all the time for dirt cheap. Personally I hate them so I'd hate to see you waste a lot of money on something you may never use.
[Reply]
mugwump 04:05 PM 10-25-2008
Also check any cigar lighters you have laying around. Even my cheapo has a built-in punch cutter that flips down at the bottom of the lighter.
[Reply]
troutbreath 08:42 AM 10-26-2008
Originally Posted by mugwump:
Also check any cigar lighters you have laying around. Even my cheapo has a built-in punch cutter that flips down at the bottom of the lighter.
What he said. I have the same deal on my lighter, and it's the only punch I use. Works just fine. I use it for larger RG sticks.
[Reply]
AD720 09:11 AM 10-26-2008
I find myself punching more often than not now (except with torpedoes and very small RG cigars). It cuts down on wrapper unraveling for me as I've been keeping my sticks a little on the dry side.
[Reply]
rhythm11 09:50 AM 10-26-2008
Originally Posted by FrequenC:
You will have a tighter draw with a punch, so it's good for cigars with notoriously lose draws.
I haven't used a punch in a long time so I didn't think of that. I have a bunch of Hoyo's that have a really loose draw and will try a punch on the next one. Thanks!:-)
[Reply]
JD11 12:48 PM 10-26-2008
Thanks guys I will be getting a cheap one . the reason I want to try is because It seema no matter how I cut my Sancho Panza double maddys they unravel a bit..
[Reply]
Up