Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>What the heck was that....yuck!!
eboniknight 07:52 AM 11-10-2009
The other evening I enjoying a Gurkha Park Avenue on my desk. I had not had one of these in a while so I had forgotten how good they were for a mild smoke. Nice slow burn, ash hangs on for a while, no burn issues, then about 2/3 through........BAM it its me.....a taste I had never experienced before. It was like an ammonia taste or something. Thinking it was me drawing too hard or something, I sip some water, wait a minute or so, then take another slow and easy drag. Yuck.....there is is again. So I had to put it down cause it was just too much. Anyone ever have this experience before with this or any other cigars?? :-)
[Reply]
Tenor CS 07:56 AM 11-10-2009
Had a very similar experience two nights ago with a Man O' War torpedo. I said screw it, I have a lot more smokes in my vino and life is too short to fight with a nasty tasting cigar.
[Reply]
acarr 07:57 AM 11-10-2009
I never smoked a Ghurka:-)
[Reply]
Eleven 08:01 AM 11-10-2009
Don't know how much it means, but the only Gurkha I smoked was very similar to this. I am really liking the 'Life is too short to fight with a nasty cigar' mantra.

Now if we can make it rhyme like 'Click it or Ticket' or 'Parents who host lose the most' it will be AWESOME and everyone will follow its advice blindly with utmost obedience.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:04 AM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by eboniknight:
The other evening I enjoying a Gurkha
Indeed, enjoying a Gurkha? What the heck....yuck :-)

maybe it was a young stick, they tend to have an ammonia flavor & smell.
[Reply]
Silound 11:09 AM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by Eleven:
Now if we can make it rhyme like 'Click it or Ticket' or 'Parents who host lose the most' it will be AWESOME and everyone will follow its advice blindly with utmost obedience.

Puff it or stuff it!

The only downside of that phrase is that I can think of waaay too many dirty connotations for it :-)
[Reply]
roughrider 11:51 AM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by acarr:
You're missing out. :-)
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 12:23 PM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by Silound:
Puff it or stuff it!

The only downside of that phrase is that I can think of waaay too many dirty connotations for it :-)
downside? *blink blink*
[Reply]
sikk50 12:46 PM 11-10-2009
Probaly rolled it with tobacco that was too young or something. Or maybe you got yourself some tar. Either way if it was out of a box I'd let them sleep for a while
[Reply]
The EVP 02:12 PM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by acarr:
Liar :-)
[Reply]
poriggity 04:23 PM 11-10-2009
Life is too short to smoke crappy cigars. No matter what they are. Toss it and get another.
Scott
[Reply]
acarr 04:38 PM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by The EVP:
Liar :-)
Actually, I did lie. I had one of those glass tube ones with the cognac and never had another.
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 05:30 PM 11-10-2009
the only time I smoke a Ghurkha is when I'm really drunk and thats so I don't waste good cigars.
[Reply]
Eleven 08:31 PM 11-10-2009
Hah!

The Bill Clinton Special!

:-)

Originally Posted by Silound:
Puff it or stuff it!

[Reply]
JJG 09:16 PM 11-10-2009
weird, I've never had a cigar get really bad at the halfway point. Usually the bad ones are bad from the start. Some get bitter, but nothing like ammonia.

I have smoked a Gurkha once before. It wasn't great, but not as bad as everyone makes them out to be.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:18 PM 11-10-2009
Did you purge it?

Then again, it was a Gurkha.
[Reply]
JJG 09:38 PM 11-10-2009
not trying to threadjack but, do you guys have an actual technique for purging? I just blow as hard as possible for 3 to 5 seconds. This seems to work fine but I'd like to know if there's more to it than that.
[Reply]
BillyCigars 12:23 AM 11-11-2009
Put the flame of your lighter (or match) at the foot of your cigar, and then purge. Lose eyebrows. Repeat.
[Reply]
Up