Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Wineador Planning...What 'ya think?...
jluck 09:15 AM 01-10-2012
I am planning on building a wineador in the near future. I currently have a wine fridge (vissani) in my office but it's a compressor type. If I am going to do this and have a couple hundred dollars worth of drawers made for something I would rather it was the proper type.so...
>Are compressor type fridges fundamentally worthless for a humidor?

Also I already have my vissani built into a cabinet that I really don't want to modify, that leaves me fitting something in the current given space. I really like the Newair that is so popular it's very classy IMO but way too small for my space. Anyways here's the fridge I found with very similar dimensions to my current one and I think it's beautiful.OPINIONS?

http://www.meijer.com/s/whynter-wc-3...16?cmpid=CASEM

Always; opinions, facts and constructive criticism appreciated :-)
[Reply]
jluck 09:18 AM 01-10-2012
I don't know why it double posted...please remove the other one, thanks
[Reply]
shilala 09:21 AM 01-10-2012
I've built tons of compressor driven humidors. You just need to make fan mods and have a rudimentary understanding of the refrigeration process and how humidity works.
Then you need to know how equilibrium and beads work together.
Then you need to know a little bit about wiring low voltage fans and stuff.

Ron C posted yesterday that Avallo was coming up with a low voltage fan setup that would work as an out-of-the-box solution for turning compressor driven wine fridges into humidors. I'm not sure they realize that, but the fact remains.
Coupled with their mini accumonitor and some beads, and you're all set.

I really need to do another conversion thread someday. I did one a few years ago but all my pic links are broken. I'll dig them up again someday and make up a guide. Maybe. :-)
[Reply]
jluck 09:35 AM 01-10-2012
The thermoelectric's are basically ready out of the box aren't they though? of coarse needing your beads...trays,monitoring devices and ??
I like the dual zone feature where I could have maduro's in one side and lighter sticks in the other side kept at different RH/temps, Maybe thats totally unnecessary but sounds like a good idea bouncing off the sides of my peanut gallery.
[Reply]
RonC 09:36 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I've built tons of compressor driven humidors. You just need to make fan mods and have a rudimentary understanding of the refrigeration process and how humidity works.
Then you need to know how equilibrium and beads work together.
Then you need to know a little bit about wiring low voltage fans and stuff.

Ron C posted yesterday that Avallo was coming up with a low voltage fan setup that would work as an out-of-the-box solution for turning compressor driven wine fridges into humidors. I'm not sure they realize that, but the fact remains.
Coupled with their mini accumonitor and some beads, and you're all set.

I really need to do another conversion thread someday. I did one a few years ago but all my pic links are broken. I'll dig them up again someday and make up a guide. Maybe. :-)
our wine fridge humidor site is in the works
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 09:55 AM 01-10-2012
I don't really see the need for the dual zone, and it seems the separator would take up space that could be filled with cigars :-)
[Reply]
jluck 10:07 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
I don't really see the need for the dual zone, and it seems the separator would take up space that could be filled with cigars :-)
I do agree with the divider consuming space but this is the only thermoelectric fridge I have found with the dimensions I need to replace my current fridge. I also like the idea of only having the one side open at a time, might help hold environment better.
[Reply]
aaron72 10:49 AM 01-10-2012
With the two bottle per shelf setup, if you get drawers built, you are really reducing the amount of usable space in the unit.

My advice would be not to settle just because it fits. Get what you want that works the best. Otherwise, you will regret it later I can almost assure you.
[Reply]
jluck 11:49 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by aaron72:
With the two bottle per shelf setup, if you get drawers built, you are really reducing the amount of usable space in the unit.

My advice would be not to settle just because it fits. Get what you want that works the best. Otherwise, you will regret it later I can almost assure you.
If I go this route I can get the cheap trays and fit 16 of them. minus two for beads still leaves 14 that's a ton of space considering I just have one desk top and a small humidor for infused.
(these should be a near perfect fit)
http://www.cigarsolutions.com/spanis...-humidor-tray/

I have a certain size hole to fill in my dry bar that currently holds the vissani.

Here's my current fridge.
[Reply]
shilala 05:01 PM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by RonC:
our wine fridge humidor site is in the works
That's my boy. :-)
You guys have definately got your sh1t together, brother. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
This whole thing is something I should have addressed 3 or 4 years ago because there's a definate need for a source of information where guys can learn how to convert fridges and compressor driven's and the like into winadors.
I hope you'll add some good common sense info on why we don't refrigerate plain old cabinet humidors, too. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:14 PM 01-10-2012
Jared, looking at the fridge you have in the dry bar now and the new one you're planning on using, you're going to want to look closely at the book that comes along with the new unit.
Your old fridge likely has the condenser coils built right into the side wall of the unit. It needs airflow to dissapate heat. The loose fit in the dry bar allows just enough circulation for it to operate reasonably without running itself to death.
The new one apparently has a fan forced condenser on the back of the unit, I can tell by the fins cut out on the top back left of the unit.
If you jam that thing in that dry bar you're liable to have a bunch of trouble, even if it goes unnoticed. The unit will cycle constantly and basically run itself to death if it can't breathe. You can counter that by cutting a grill into the side of your dry bar near where your new unit vents it's heat.
These little wine fridges are not designed to be built into cabinets. If you want one that's designed to be built-in, the condenser is located under the unit and the fan expels the compressor/condenser heat from a grill at the bottom front of the unit just like most kitchen refrigerators do. They cost a good deal more, as well.
[Reply]
jluck 05:26 PM 01-10-2012
Jared, looking at the fridge you have in the dry bar now and the new one you're planning on using, you're going to want to look closely at the book that comes along with the new unit.
Your old fridge likely has the condenser coils built right into the side wall of the unit. It needs airflow to dissipate heat. The loose fit in the dry bar allows just enough circulation for it to operate reasonably without running itself to death.
The new one apparently has a fan forced condenser on the back of the unit, I can tell by the fins cut out on the top back left of the unit.
If you jam that thing in that dry bar you're liable to have a bunch of trouble, even if it goes unnoticed. The unit will cycle constantly and basically run itself to death if it can't breathe. You can counter that by cutting a grill into the side of your dry bar near where your new unit vents it's heat.
These little wine fridges are not designed to be built into cabinets. If you want one that's designed to be built-in, the condenser is located under the unit and the fan expels the compressor/condenser heat from a grill at the bottom front of the unit just like most kitchen refrigerators do. They cost a good deal more, as well.
Thanks for that info. The brown strip on the left side of my vissani is a soffit vent to assist in cooling but as you said it may not be enough to keep the new unit from self destructing. I will put in a auxiliary fan to pull cool air into the cabinet near the coolers rear. thanks.
[Reply]
jluck 08:54 PM 01-11-2012
I got a email back from the manufacturer on internal dimensions. It looks as if the elcheapo trays will fit right in. The factory racks are removable too. That could accommodate larger boxes and such. I put my vissani for sale today, if it sells I will be going for it!

Also...How about infused in one side and traditional in the other?:-)
[Reply]
aaron72 11:25 AM 01-12-2012
As long as there is no air Exchange between the two sides it would be fine.
[Reply]
shilala 11:36 AM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Thanks for that info. The brown strip on the left side of my vissani is a soffit vent to assist in cooling but as you said it may not be enough to keep the new unit from self destructing. I will put in a auxiliary fan to pull cool air into the cabinet near the coolers rear. thanks.
Atta Boy. :-)
I can't wait to see the finished product. :-)
[Reply]
pektel 11:44 AM 01-12-2012
They cost a good deal more, as well.
You aren't kidding. I have a ULine elsewhere so it could be integrated into cabinetry. A little over a grand for it (retail), IIRC.
[Reply]
jluck 12:35 PM 01-17-2012
Another option. A bit of trimming and I could fit this hog. Less money too boot!
Not as aesthetically appealing to me but I'd get over it knowing I got more gar's in it!
:-)
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11608632
[Reply]
Bad Finger 01:13 PM 01-17-2012
Are the racks adjustable in that rig?
[Reply]
jluck 01:25 PM 01-17-2012
There removable for some versatility but I don't think there are anymore "grooves" between the racks shown.

I have not got exact specs on this model yet but the other one I was looking at would take a "double" height tray in each slot and this looks the same (or larger). Wine bottles are 3-3.5" in base diameter so I think a 2.25 tray will fit nicely.

That would give me 14 trays, roughly 18"x10"x2.25" with the bottom for beads or a few less trays and insert shelves for boxes.

I am pinching pennies right now....
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:28 PM 01-17-2012
I think it looks very nice.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up