Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 24 of 39
« First < 14222324 252634 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Bill86 07:57 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Which is better for humidification, the gel or the boveda packs? I heard the gel you can use for years, just refill with dstilled water, and the packs are only good for a fw months, but I want your opinions.
You can recharge the boveda packs. The gel is messy and IMHO ...crap.
[Reply]
kydsid 07:58 AM 10-26-2011
Which is better for humidification, the gel or the boveda packs? I heard the gel you can use for years, just refill with dstilled water, and the packs are only good for a fw months, but I want your opinions.
In my experience the boveda packs because they provide more consitent humidity levels in a humidor than gel. That is more important to me than lifespan. All things equal though I don't use either in my regular humidors. I do use boveda packs in the traveldor.

Beads (either type) are really the only answer to humidor humidifiaction IMO. Consistent humidity and long lasting. Don't bother with lesser options. :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 08:02 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
You can recharge the boveda packs. The gel is messy and IMHO ...crap.
Originally Posted by kydsid:
In my experience the boveda packs because they provide more consitent humidity levels in a humidor than gel. That is more important to me than lifespan. All things equal though I don't use either in my regular humidors. I do use boveda packs in the traveldor.

Beads (either type) are really the only answer to humidor humidifiaction IMO. Consistent humidity and long lasting. Don't bother with lesser options. :-)
Right now $ is an issue and I can get both the gel and the packs for free, so based on your opinions I would go with the packs and I am looking at the 69%.....later when I get my coolidor I will get the beads, but right now I need a quick fix.

Any other opinons or suggestions?

Thanks
[Reply]
irratebass 08:21 AM 10-26-2011
Ok I am now confused, Which of these do you suggest, not saying I am getting them, I am just wanting some opinions:

http://www.neptunecigar.com/pr/xikar..._jar_4_oz.aspx

http://www.neptunecigar.com/pr/cigel_humidifier.aspx
[Reply]
Mattso3000 08:24 AM 10-26-2011
I've had the xikar jar in my 150 for 11 months and it's been locked on 68 on the hygrometer since I put it in.
[Reply]
irratebass 08:25 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by Mattso3000:
I've had the xikar jar in my 150 for 11 months and it's been locked on 68 on the hygrometer since I put it in.
Are these considered beads?
[Reply]
kydsid 08:54 AM 10-26-2011
Ok I am now confused, Which of these do you suggest, not saying I am getting them, I am just wanting some opinions:

http://www.neptunecigar.com/pr/xikar..._jar_4_oz.aspx

http://www.neptunecigar.com/pr/cigel_humidifier.aspx

I would go with the Ci-Gel as it says to add distilled water. The Xikar say used propylene glycol. The implication is the Ci-Gel itself is the regulator for humidity whereas the Xikar is just a matrix for PG similar to florist foam.

I would still use a boveda pack instead of either one.

Are these considered beads?

No. Xikar does not make beads. Beads are those from Shilalabeads or Heartfelt. Take the free option for now but save some money to get beads. They are really not that expensive. Around $30 a pound which is good for a large humidor. I run 2.5lbs, more than needed actually, in each of my edgestars.
[Reply]
irratebass 09:14 AM 10-26-2011
I would go with the Ci-Gel as it says to add distilled water. The Xikar say used propylene glycol. The implication is the Ci-Gel itself is the regulator for humidity whereas the Xikar is just a matrix for PG similar to florist foam.

No. Xikar does not make beads. Beads are those from Shilalabeads or Heartfelt. Take the free option for now but save some money to get beads. They are really not that expensive. Around $30 a pound which is good for a large humidor. I run 2.5lbs, more than needed actually, in each of my edgestars.

Thanks Jason, I was thinkng the gel would be better....I had actually already placed my order, I ordered the 2 oz and the 4oz, but I just called them and changed the order to 2 gels (2 humis) and I will be getting the beads when I am ready...thanks for the info :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:56 AM 10-26-2011
I thought you were going to go with Boveda Packs? I would go with the Boveda packs and stay away from (any kind) gel (Xikar or other brand).
[Reply]
irratebass 10:02 AM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I thought you were going to go with Boveda Packs? I would go with the Boveda packs and stay away from (any kind) gel (Xikar or other brand).
Too late, I am going to try this out 1st, if it works cool if not then I will do the Boveda packs....I did order a calibration pack though.
[Reply]
44stampede 09:28 PM 01-03-2012

What are the edgestars that you are referring to? Do people convert wine coolers to humidors?
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 09:36 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by 44stampede:
What are the edgestars that you are referring to? Do people convert wine coolers to humidors?
Yup, check out this thread: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48955
[Reply]
44stampede 11:34 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
Yup, check out this thread: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48955
That's awesome. I had a feeling I hadn't thought of that idea first :-)

Living in a place that is 30 Celcius and 73+% humidity all the time, this is a must!
[Reply]
deaster25 12:05 AM 01-11-2012
I just bought a tube of beads from heartfelt for my humidor. The way I had it set up before was with a generic tube of gel that I had separated from the cigars with a divider. My question is, can I remove the divider and let the tube come in direct contact with the cigars without any chance of harming the cigars. Also would the cigars closest to the tube be more humid than the ones on the other side? I have a 50 count and I bought the tube that is double the required minimum size.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 08:11 AM 01-11-2012
Originally Posted by deaster25:
I just bought a tube of beads from heartfelt for my humidor. The way I had it set up before was with a generic tube of gel that I had separated from the cigars with a divider. My question is, can I remove the divider and let the tube come in direct contact with the cigars without any chance of harming the cigars. Also would the cigars closest to the tube be more humid than the ones on the other side? I have a 50 count and I bought the tube that is double the required minimum size.
I don't know the scientific answer, but I have no divider, the cigars taste fine, and I'm not dead yet.:-)
[Reply]
Eros 02:21 PM 01-25-2012
So I just got a humidor yesterday. I salt tested a digital hygrometer and calibrated it accordingly. Then I placed a shot glass with water in the humidor and closed the lid with the hygrometer inside. The humidity rose to 87%. I took out the glass, placed in some hydrating beads and the humidity has stayed at 68%. Did I get lucky? Most people say it takes at least a few days to season. Should I wait a little longer? I just bought some cigars and they were on the road for 5 days and have been in their bag for an additional two. I would like to get them in as quickly as I can.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:22 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Eros:
So I just got a humidor yesterday. I salt tested a digital hygrometer and calibrated it accordingly. Then I placed a shot glass with water in the humidor and closed the lid with the hygrometer inside. The humidity rose to 87%. I took out the glass, placed in some hydrating beads and the humidity has stayed at 68%. Did I get lucky? Most people say it takes at least a few days to season. Should I wait a little longer? I just bought some cigars and they were on the road for 5 days and have been in their bag for an additional two. I would like to get them in as quickly as I can.
How long has it stayed at 68%?
[Reply]
Eros 02:25 PM 01-25-2012
Since 5 this morning.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:35 PM 01-25-2012
If it was me, I would wait until tomorrow morning and see if it changes. If you throw cigars in now and the humidity changes you will not know the reason. Tomorrow if it is still holding true throw them in and see what happens IMHO.
[Reply]
pnoon 03:03 PM 01-25-2012
If you put cigars in an empty humidor the RH will almost surely change. Unless by a stroke of luck the cigars and the empty humi have identical RH.

More often than not, RH in the humi will drop due to the cigars absorbing moisture.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 24 of 39
« First < 14222324 252634 > Last »
Up