Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 19 of 39
« First < 9171819 202129 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
chachee52 06:44 PM 04-17-2011
Thought this was going to be the answer but thought I'd ask the people that have been doing it for years.
Thanks guys!!!
[Reply]
Bill86 07:02 PM 04-17-2011
Damn now that It's mentioned my batteries in my current hygro are a good 6 months - 8 months old. Thanks for the reminder :-)
[Reply]
CoreyD 08:53 PM 04-21-2011
So today I was talking to a worker at the B&M and we were talking about what I kept my humidity at and I told him i am usually between 62 and 65 and he wondered why so low he told me some wrappers split and crack at that humidity but I have yet had a problem. He suggested near the 70 marker but yet I could swear on here between 63 and 65 was good.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:01 PM 04-21-2011
Originally Posted by CoreyD:
So today I was talking to a worker at the B&M and we were talking about what I kept my humidity at and I told him i am usually between 62 and 65 and he wondered why so low he told me some wrappers split and crack at that humidity but I have yet had a problem. He suggested near the 70 marker but yet I could swear on here between 63 and 65 was good.
Ever smoke a cigar out of a B&M humidor? They go out on you AT LEAST twice. High RH does that. Also they get so spongy you almost cannot smoke them below say 35%.

Most workers in B&M's really have no clue. I hate to say it but they really don't know much more then they are told.

B&M shops have to keep their humidors up at 70-73 RH to make up for all the traffic they get. Opening the door a lot and whatnot. I'm still convinced they could drop the RH to 68 and things would work out much better for everyone. But that's just my guess.

The few cigars I've smoked out of the Humidor at work always go out on me A LOT. The ones I bring from home usually never go out on me. Unless of course I leave them for a few minutes. Much easier to nub my own sticks or at least smoke them down to the band.
[Reply]
longknocker 09:03 PM 04-21-2011
I Agree, Corey!:-) I've Tried Every RH From 60-70 & 63-65 Works For Me. I Smoked Several Sticks Lately @ 67 RH & They Were Harsh & Went Out. :-)
[Reply]
CoreyD 03:02 AM 04-22-2011
he told me some wrappers split and crack at that humidity.
See my concern was more this part.. I have around only 300 cigars in my coolidors and desktop and would hate lose even 1 due to improper storage. Going out part isn't an issue when I have a lighter in my hands or pocket hehe.
[Reply]
chachee52 05:07 AM 04-22-2011
See my concern was more this part.. I have around only 300 cigars in my coolidors and desktop and would hate lose even 1 due to improper storage. Going out part isn't an issue when I have a lighter in my hands or pocket hehe.
I'm by no means an expert, but I keep mine usually in the low 60% range and never have had a splitting problem. I will say that mine used to split when I went for walks in the winter with a cigar. Recently, now that I have proper storage and humidity, this has not been an issue. I used to use just a traveldor which I'm sure was very low humidity and got a ton of splitting, but like I said, it was only when I went out and walked in the winter.
just my experience so far.
[Reply]
pnoon 07:52 AM 04-22-2011
Originally Posted by chachee52:
I'm by no means an expert, but I keep mine usually in the low 60% range and never have had a splitting problem.
:-)
[Reply]
ODLS1 10:44 PM 04-25-2011
I'm sure this has been discussed plenty, but I couldn't find an answer with my searching, so I guess I'll ask here:

Would a cigar box work as a humidor if I put some beads in it or something? I know many boxes wouldn't, but I have a Cohiba Supremo box that seems to seal pretty tight, and I never have more than 10 at a time really, and don't plan to have more than that for a long time. Money won't allow it. This will be temporary as I plan to build a humidor when I get the time and money (I'd rather build to my liking than buy). I have a few very nice cigars I want to take care of without buying a humidor just yet, if feasible. I've been doing the humidipak thing in a ziplock bag, in a box. Thanks for any help.
[Reply]
Bill86 10:58 PM 04-25-2011
I would say just get a 15 count traveldor instead of a cigar box. Toss a tube of beads in it and call it even.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:38 PM 04-25-2011
Originally Posted by ODLS1:
I'm sure this has been discussed plenty, but I couldn't find an answer with my searching, so I guess I'll ask here:

Would a cigar box work as a humidor if I put some beads in it or something? I know many boxes wouldn't, but I have a Cohiba Supremo box that seems to seal pretty tight, and I never have more than 10 at a time really, and don't plan to have more than that for a long time. Money won't allow it. This will be temporary as I plan to build a humidor when I get the time and money (I'd rather build to my liking than buy). I have a few very nice cigars I want to take care of without buying a humidor just yet, if feasible. I've been doing the humidipak thing in a ziplock bag, in a box. Thanks for any help.
Tupperware is your friend. :-) If you cant dig one out of the cupboard, Target has some nice small boxes from Sterlite with snap closures. You can find them with the ziploc stuff in the grocery section for under $10. :-)
[Reply]
ODLS1 12:34 AM 04-26-2011
Hmm, I may go one of those routes then. I figured keeping them in cedar was ideal.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:47 AM 04-26-2011
Originally Posted by ODLS1:
Hmm, I may go one of those routes then. I figured keeping them in cedar was ideal.
You can always throw in a sheet of cedar from a box. If you dont have one you can probably pick one up at your local shop for free. Cedar just adds a nice smell but is not totally necessary. :-)
[Reply]
chachee52 06:30 AM 04-26-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I would say just get a 15 count traveldor instead of a cigar box. Toss a tube of beads in it and call it even.
This is what I did for about a year or two. Now I have it to bring around with me now that I have a collection of cigars. It's not like it will ever go unused.
[Reply]
taltos 06:42 AM 04-26-2011
In addition to Bill's excellent comments, I have noticed draw problems and a sour taste from cigars kept at 70 or higher. The only problem that I have had with cracking wrappers is when our New England climate is too cold.
[Reply]
ODLS1 11:19 AM 04-26-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
You can always throw in a sheet of cedar from a box. If you dont have one you can probably pick one up at your local shop for free. Cedar just adds a nice smell but is not totally necessary. :-)
Ah, I see, thanks. Yea that box actually has a nice sheet in it too.

Originally Posted by chachee52:
This is what I did for about a year or two. Now I have it to bring around with me now that I have a collection of cigars. It's not like it will ever go unused.
While it's more than some tupperware, I may go this route for the same reasoning. It would be nice to have to take on vacations and different places in general.

Thanks for the help. I'm obviously on a budget and can only smoke here and there, but I have an Opus X, ESG, and Fuente Anejo that I want to save for a good occasion and take good care of in the mean time.
[Reply]
smokepuff 06:19 PM 05-04-2011
I'm on a budget at the moment an is trying to go the cheapest route possible until I can afford a large enough humidor. I'd hate to spend money on the smaller ones just my :-)

At the moment I using a large Tupperware container with 35mm film canister with lots of pin holes. I inserted a clean sponge that I dampen with distilled water as my make shift humidifier. I was wondering would this work also I'm using this to monitor the humidity and temperature inside the box.

What are your thoughts?
[Reply]
Chingas 06:55 PM 05-04-2011
Patrick, if it works, go for it. Personally, I'd grab a few Boveda packs or water pillows and ditch the film canister.

At the end of the day, if your hygrometer is accurate and your cigars smoke the way you like, you're in good shape.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:57 PM 05-04-2011
The Hygrometer is probably OK -- have you tried testing it to see how accurate it is?

I think tupperware is great for cigars, but the damp-sponge-in-a-35mm-container makes me cringe... You would be better off with beads (any sort) or a Boveda pack. The sponge will only release moisture until the container is saturated. It will not regulate RH. This is critical in a tightly sealed container like tupperware.

You can get beads or a Boveda pack at very reasonable prices...
[Reply]
smokepuff 07:55 AM 05-05-2011
Thanks for your thoughts, No I have tried testing it to see how accurate it is, I just assumed it was accurate enough. And I am going to add some beads to the equation ASAP.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 39
« First < 9171819 202129 > Last »
Up