Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Another Wineador Build Thread
colinb913 12:02 AM 09-17-2013
So, I decided a few days ago, it's about time to get a wineador set up. I did a little looking around online, finally decided on THIS model. I found it on a scratch and dent site for $79.99, with free shipping. So, we will see how it turns out.

In the mean time, I have some extra spanish cedar seasoning in my coolidor, and I plan on taking my humidification element out of the coolidor, to use in the wineador.

I am currently using a Cigar Oasis XL plus Humidifier.

Eventually I plan on ordering drawers from Forrest, but my employment status is rapidly changing (owners of the B&M I work at, decided to retire), so I am not positive when that is going to happen.

But, I after reading the thousands of other wineador build threads on here, I decided one more couldn't hurt. I'll keep this updated as I make progress.

Current cost break down is as follows, and will be updated periodically:

Wine Fridge .... 79.99
Humidifier ...... 100.00
---------------------------
Total ............. 179.99

So, right now, I think I am doing pretty good on the cost. The unit is scheduled to be delivered Wednesday (9/18), so we wait!
[Reply]
ArgusP2 12:18 AM 09-17-2013
IMHO, for a wineador of that size, I doubt that you will need an active humidifying system. I have a 28 bottle vinotemp and it works great with a couple of pounds of heartfelt beads.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:21 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by ArgusP2:
IMHO, for a wineador of that size, I doubt that you will need an active humidifying system. I have a 28 bottle vinotemp and it works great with a couple of pounds of heartfelt beads.
Was going to say the same thing, I have a couple pounds in mine and it's foolproof, nothing to worry about and the seals are perfect, just remember to plug up any drainage hole and you are good to go.

Angel is a smart man. :-)
[Reply]
colinb913 12:34 AM 09-17-2013
I already have the oasis in my coolidor (120qt), since I believe I will be able to do away with my cooler (and fill it with drinks when we go to party now!), I figured I would just move it on over.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 04:29 AM 09-17-2013
You'll be filling that cooler back up with cigars soon enough. LOL
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:32 AM 09-17-2013
The Oasis (or any active humidification) will be overkill for your wine cooler -- they seal so well that it may be difficult to keep it from over humidifying your cigars. Just my :-)
[Reply]
colinb913 11:45 AM 09-19-2013
Alright gentlemen, the fridge arrived yesterday morning. I opened up the package, and there was absolutely no plastic smell (I was shocked, I made my girlfriend come sniff the inside of it too!)

So, we went straight to work. Since I don't have the scratch together to order Forrests drawers yet, I decided to rig up some wooden boxes I had laying around the house. You can find the same kind at Michaels, though I can't remember what I paid for them.

I also added some spanish cedar in different locations, just pieces I had laying around the house. I let the drawers sit in there over night, with the oasis and a bowl of water, and we have been rock steady at 67% and 67*. Mind you, I took these pictures after doing a little touch up work inside, so the humistats are just a little bit off.

I did NOT plug the drain hole, because I use the oasis, I thought it would possibly help take away a little of the extra humidity, and thus far it has.

I have a total of three humistats, one at the bottom, one in the middle you can see through the door, and I have the transmitter for one in the top drawer. The unit is on my speaker on my desk, so I can monitor the temp and humidity when laying in bed.

As the pictures depict, I used zipties to fasten the boxes to the wine racks, that was the fastest and easiest method I could come up with, and it's completely reversible should I decide to change something. They're unnoticeable when looking at the wineador, and when looking inside.

I like the way it looks at the moment, I am sure it will look a thousand times nicer once I get some drawers in it, but for the mean time, I am satisfied.

Now, I am just debating on getting handles for the front of the drawers. But, in the mean time here are a few pictures to show you how this all came along. **Please excuse the dirty carpet, we're getting them cleaned in a few weeks**

[Reply]
colinb913 11:49 AM 09-19-2013
Current cost break down is as follows, and will be updated periodically:

Wine Fridge . .. 79.99
Humidifier .... 100.00
Boxes ...... 25.00
Zip Ties ...... 5.00
Personal Time ........ 2 hours
---------------------------
Total ............. 209.99 + time spent
[Reply]
czerbe 12:14 PM 09-19-2013
Looks good so far
[Reply]
.cigardude. 12:30 PM 09-19-2013
Coming along nicely.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:34 PM 09-19-2013
Very nice!

You should still plug the drain hole. A humidor is a sealed box. All that will happen is that your Oasis will run more than it needs to because of the "air leak" from the drain plug.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 02:21 PM 09-19-2013
Looks good!
[Reply]
dgold21 10:27 PM 09-21-2013
The oasis will end up casing you headaches, trust me. The first iteration of my Vinotemp VT28 was outfitted with a Hydra active humidification with extra fans. I thought it was working great, but it caused so much extra condensation, and once the air in there gets too moist, there is no way to remove the excess moisture (as beads would). I also got rust and corrosion in the fan connectors. The unit just seals too well and is too small for active humidification to be a problem-free solution.

Now in my rebuild, I have a couple pounds of HF beads distributed throughout, and it's never been more stable.
[Reply]
Up