Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Attorney Faces Disbarment for Smuggling Cuban Cigars in 1990s
BigAsh 08:48 AM 08-17-2012
Seems to me the bar ass'n has WAY too much time on its hands...from ABA email this morning....

Attorney Faces Disbarment for Smuggling Cuban Cigars in 1990s

Posted Aug 15, 2012 8:12 AM CDT

Bar authorities in Illinois are seeking the disbarment of a lawyer convicted of smuggling Cuban cigars into the country back in the 1990s.

The recommendation filed by the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission last week seeks to disbar Richard Steven Connors, who was convicted in 2002 of violating the Trading with the Enemy Act, falsifying his passport and conspiracy, according to the National Law Journal and the IARDC filing.

Connors, who has long denied the charges, saying he made frequent trips because he was engaged to a Cuban woman, was sentenced to 37 months in prison and fined $60,000. But his conviction was upheld by the 7th Circuit in 2006.

In pressing for disbarment, the IARDC asserts in its filing that there's no doubt Connors' crimes "involved moral turpitude and reflected adversely on his honesty, truthfulness, and fitness as an attorney."

According to the 7th Circuit's ruling, Connors made 31 trips to and from Cuba between 1996 and 1999. The opinion recounts how Connors, after a tip from his ex-wife alerting authorities to his trips, was stopped at the Canadian border with a "trunkload of Cuban cigars." In four suitcases were 46 boxes of cigars, which could be sold for $350 per box.

Legal Profession Blog in a post Friday pointed to a footnote to a court observation that "Cuban cigars have a definite cachet. The footnote referenced Rudyard Kipling, who noted in "The Betrothed" that, "[A] woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a Smoke."
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:49 AM 08-17-2012
Damn lawyers. :-) :-)
[Reply]
markem 08:51 AM 08-17-2012
You rolls the dice and you takes your chances. Bar associations have rules and he knowingly and willingly broke them.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:10 AM 08-17-2012
There is more to that case than just Cuban Cigars. We see a number of stories revolving around the purchasing of Cuban Cigars that make many of us roll our eyes. This, though, IMHO is quite a step up.

Just sayin...
[Reply]
Dukeuni 09:11 AM 08-17-2012
As a attorney, I actually have no problem with the bar association looking to disbar this attorney. What I do have a problem with, a REALLY big problem with, is the 37 month prison sentence and $60,000 fine!?!? What the heck! I have a lot of people who will beat someone up, manufacture meth, burg a home, and they do not go to prison that long.

The one part that makes my feel a little less bad for this guy is the fact that he brought back 45 boxes of cigars. It looks like this guy was buying boxes to sell back in the U.S., and that was a big risk for him to take. If he was bringing a few boxes for his own enjoyment that would be one thing.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:12 AM 08-17-2012
He is an extreme case which flaunted himself to the authorities.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:15 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Dukeuni:
As a attorney, I actually have no problem with the bar association looking to disbar this attorney. What I do have a problem with, a REALLY big problem with, is the 37 month prison sentence and $60,000 fine!?!? What the heck! I have a lot of people who will beat someone up, manufacture meth, burg a home, and they do not go to prison that long.

The one part that makes my feel a little less bad for this guy is the fact that he brought back 45 boxes of cigars. It looks like this guy was buying boxes to sell back in the U.S., and that was a big risk for him to take. If he was bringing a few boxes for his own enjoyment that would be one thing.
45 boxes could have been for his own humidor:-)
[Reply]
Dukeuni 09:21 AM 08-17-2012
I knew there had to be a little more info on this case, so I dug around some more, and feel much better about the disbarment:
1. He is a Public Defender, so it must be a little karma coming back at him
2. "On the other hand, he’d already had his license suspended once for “misappropriating client funds.”
[Reply]
smitty81 09:22 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
In pressing for disbarment, the IARDC asserts in its filing that there's no doubt Connors' crimes "involved moral turpitude and reflected adversely on his honesty, truthfulness, and fitness as an attorney."
I'd say he's no different than the rest of them........:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 09:22 AM 08-17-2012
If cigars was the only issue, I bet it wouldn't have been a big deal.
Problem is 45 boxes, inferring possible distribution concerns.
However, the worst part is ILLEGALLY traveling to Cuba, over 30 times, resulting in the Passport falsification charge.
This guy was an idiot and he is now paying dearly.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:25 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Dukeuni:
I knew there had to be a little more info on this case, so I dug around some more, and feel much better about the disbarment:
1. He is a Public Defender, so it must be a little karma coming back at him
2. "On the other hand, he’d already had his license suspended once for “misappropriating client funds.”
Well this all makes much more sense now
[Reply]
smitty81 09:25 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blueface:
However, the worst part is ILLEGALLY traveling to Cuba, over 30 times, resulting in the Passport falsification charge.This guy was an idiot and he is now paying dearly.
I'm sure that is where most of the serious charges are stemming from. :-)
[Reply]
Silound 09:25 AM 08-17-2012
The punishment does seem a little harsh in regards to the sentence. Disbarment is still a fair punishment; he violated an ethical code of attorneys.

45 boxes is only like one big cooler :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:26 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blueface:
However, the worst part is ILLEGALLY traveling to Cuba, over 30 times, resulting in the Passport falsification charge.
This guy was an idiot and he is now paying dearly.
Yeah, the guy sounds pretty stupid. I better warn everyone at the office:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:53 AM 08-17-2012
I am sure that there is a lot more to this than we know...
[Reply]
Blueface 10:06 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I am sure that there is a lot more to this than we know...
No doubt and again, bet dollars to donuts they got really p'od of his ridiculing Homeland Security by going through Cuba, through third countries, and probably doing a well known act in Cuba to avoid Passport stamping, well over 30 times.

If cigars were such a big deal, I know lots of folks that would have been in a major mess when they had that massive Chicago confiscation. Cigars was the least of what impacted action against him.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:09 AM 08-17-2012
His ex-wife tipped them off. Don't cross a latina!
[Reply]
Beagleone 11:07 AM 08-17-2012
I remember this case from a few years back. Yeah, the ex was really pissed off when she turned him in. I am surprised the case is still going though.
[Reply]
lilninjabuddy 11:08 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by markem:
You rolls the dice and you takes your chances. Bar associations have rules and he knowingly and willingly broke them.
Yup.
[Reply]
BigCat 12:35 PM 08-17-2012
The OP also mentions that he was charged with falsifying his passport. This is an extreme case. Still, as an attorney, I've stayed away from the forbidden fruit so I don't become the first routine case to face licensing problems.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up