Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 14
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Good Eats>Sushi
bonjing 01:51 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
not to step on 'ya but I think you meant unagi (eel) and not uni....don't think you wanna cook that sea urchin! :-)

you sir are right, no toes stepped on :-) i did mean unagi
[Reply]
mrreindeer 01:59 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by fxpose:
Except mackeral. Raw mackeral is very fishy in taste.
Totally agree; while I like mackerel, it's not for those who don't like 'fishy'. Spanish Mackerel is much more mild, however, and sometimes it will dance flamenco.
[Reply]
vicvitola 02:16 PM 12-02-2008
Lately I have been on a White Tuna kick. I love it.

Yellowtail is another favorite. Fatty Yellowtail (belly meat) or the Yellow Tail version of Otoro is probably my all time favorite raw fish.

I like a few pieces of Uni occasionally with quail egg on top to finish a meal.

Aside from that I eat just about all of it. I used to be really anti Mackerel but in the past few years I have a really developed a taste for the stronger fish. I enjoy Aji or Spanish Mackerel.

Recently a Korean guy that was eating next to me at the bar intoduced me to Korean Style sushi. (According to him) This is sashimi served with pieces of seaweed (Nori). You wrap the fish with the seaweed and dip in sesame oil or a mix of sesame oil, soy sauce and wasabi. No rice.

ALWAYS ASK FOR FRESH WASABI! - It is different and not made with the paste. It is the actually ground root and is 10x better. Better Sushi Bars will have it.

For desert one of my favorites is called Mochi Ice Cream. It's a rice paste that is similar to a dough. This is wrapped around small portions of ice cream. The Red Bean kind is very good.

Suki desu!
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 02:16 PM 12-02-2008
When I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago I went to Nobu inside the Hard Rock Hotel. Their sushi was to die for even though that is not their specialty.
I try and have sushi at least once a week. There is a place around my house called Sushi Para that has all you can eat for 18.99 it is not bad but lately they have been doing something with their rice to make it sweet and it is not good.
But when I am at work there is another place called Nobu's that has great sushi for lunch that is reasonably priced unlike for dinner. I all about the salmon and tuna sushi. I do love a good spicy salmon roll. And yes I do like the roll with smoked salmon, cream cheese and scallions.

OK I want some sushi. Who's buying!! :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 02:18 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1:
When I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago . . .
you missed an opportunity to herf. :-)
[Reply]
Secret Santa 02:28 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by bonjing:
what's OBDG?
Obento Daikon Gobang -- a box lunch with radish eaten while playing Gobang (no, not that, like the game Othello :-))
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 02:36 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by fxpose:
Except mackeral. Raw mackeral is very fishy in taste.
Gotta agree with that bro. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 02:43 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
Club Sushi down in Hermosa Beach offers an amazing 1/2 price happy hour including most sushi, 1/2 off beer, wine & sake & apps. I love going there because the sushi is good, not amazing, but certainly good, a good value and all the sushi chefs are Hispanic and I've never seen that anywhere else. My buddy Efrem, the head chef, even won 'Best Sushi Chef' in the South Bay one year and I came on in and had him autograph our issue. He loved it.

Oh, so down at Club Sushi, they make a yellowtail roll with jalapeno, cilantro and some lemon juice and it's truly amazing.
Ah, good old Pier Ave in Hermosa…Club Sushi is one of my old haunts. I haven’t been there in years, but we used to go all the time for happy hour. I agree that the sushi wasn’t the best, but was good. Definitely can’t beat it for happy hour! After filling up there, we’d cruise to Sangria, Sharkeez (before it became a nub :-)) and/or Hennessey’s. :-)

I'll have to check out that roll whenever I'm down on Pier.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 04:09 PM 12-02-2008
Mmmmmmmm...... Otoro.....

[Reply]
opus 04:13 PM 12-02-2008
Cut it out, your killing me. Now it's dinner time and I only want one thing......SUSHI!!
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 04:18 PM 12-02-2008
That's EXACTLY what I'm doing brother :-) Ramping myself up because I am going to have some good sushi tonite :-)
[Reply]
jkim05 04:24 PM 12-02-2008
oh man, that's it. I'm totally getting some sushi tomorrow. I've been eating since I could chew and it's definitely a huge world of flavours. I've been to some great restaurants and have had some awesome culinary experiences due to relationships with a few chefs and restaurateurs. Gotta love raw food.
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 04:31 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by pnoon:
you missed an opportunity to herf. :-)
I was able to get a herf in with some other cigar friends. I was too new to this site to ask! don't kill me!!:-)
[Reply]
nozero 04:34 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by vstrommark:
hmmm ... from wikipedia:

These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhoea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
Reminds me of Olestra...
From Wiki as well.
Originally Posted by :
Olestra was approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use as a food additive in 1996 and was initially used in potato chips under the WOW brand by Frito Lay. In 1998, which was the first year Olestra products were marketed nationally after the FDA’s Food Advisory Committee confirmed a judgment it made 2 years earlier, sales were over $400 million.[5] However, by 2000 sales slowed to $200 million, largely caused by the unappealing side effects described on the FDA-mandated health warning label:

This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added.

– [6]

This condition (normally occurring only by excessive consumption in a short period of time) became popularly known as "anal leakage." Sales were so slow that P&G gave up on attempts to widen the uses of Olestra, and even sold off their Cincinnati-based Olestra factory to Twin Rivers Technologies in February 2002.[4]

[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 05:54 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1:
I was able to get a herf in with some other cigar friends. I was too new to this site to ask! don't kill me!!:-)
We don't kill you.... we just hunt you down and FORCE you to smoke Gurkha's :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 05:56 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
That's EXACTLY what I'm doing brother :-) Ramping myself up because I am going to have some good sushi tonite :-)
And again on Friday!
[Reply]
taltos 06:06 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by bonjing:
what's OBDG?
I believe that it stands for 'Old Ball Dragging Geezer'. If I am wrong, corrections will be on their way shortly.:-):-)
[Reply]
TRicker 06:09 PM 12-02-2008
So for those of us who are new to sushi. How does Sea Urchin taste? I'm willing to try new stuff (had Octopus and liked it, eel not so much). I always see it and wanna try it, but am not really into anything too fishy. Should I? My current fave is yellowtail. Just don't want to look like a complete idiot if its a stronger tasting item.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:12 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by taltos:
I believe that it stands for 'Old Ball Dragging Geezer'. If I am wrong, corrections will be on their way shortly.:-):-)
No correction necessary. :-)
[Reply]
taltos 06:20 PM 12-02-2008
The closest that I can go to sushi is a lightly seared tuna steak. The funny thing is that I will eat raw clams all day and be happy though.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 14
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up