Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 14
1 2311 > Last »
Good Eats>Sushi
LasciviousXXX 07:34 PM 12-01-2008
Alright I have lurked in the Good Eats forum long enough without chiming in on my absolute favorite food in the world... SUSHI!

Ok Sushi lovers, this is the thread to talk about your favorite types of sushi. Good places to eat and just general information about this wonderful type of cuisine.

I love all types of sushi; sashimi, nigiri, maki etc etc. I am a big supporter of traditional style nigiri sushi and eat it most times when visiting a Japanese restaurant. Not a big fan of a lot of the "Americanized" rolls hitting restaurants (sushi should never contain cream cheese IMO) but will try anything once :-)

My favorite sushi order contains Maguro, Hamachi and Unagi Nigiri sushi as well as Tako and Hotetgai. I will try many types of rolls but generally shy away from anything containing the words "spicy salmon" or "mayo/crm cheese".

So.... let's talk SUSHI!

[Reply]
md4958 07:39 PM 12-01-2008
The best sushi I ever had was the Toro tuna in Tokyo... unbelievable!!

I still love tuna sushi, but also like some specality rolls. The place near me make a roll called "sexy girl" its a roll filledwith spicy tuna, shrimp tempura, surrounded by rice with lobster tempura on top... drizzled with this spicy sauce.

Its arranged on the plate so that the two shrimp tails stick out of either end and looks like a girls side ponytails and then they draw a face with the sauce

I think tomorrow night is a gonnna have to be sushi.
[Reply]
webjunkie 07:40 PM 12-01-2008
Sushi freaking rocks. Still, the two that I can't stand are uni and natto. Bleh, natto just makes my skin crawl. I try it roughly once a year, but still :-)
[Reply]
markem 07:45 PM 12-01-2008
I'd do sashimi twice a week if I still worked near a good sushi place.

Unagi, maguro tuna, and hamachi are always ordered. Then I check out what else is available. There isn't a lot of sashimi I won't eat.
[Reply]
dunng 07:45 PM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:

I still love tuna sushi, but also like some specality rolls. The place near me make a roll called "sexy girl" its a roll filledwith spicy tuna, shrimp tempura, surrounded by rice with lobster tempura on top... drizzled with this spicy sauce.

Its arranged on the plate so that the two shrimp tails stick out of either end and looks like a girls side ponytails and then they draw a face with the sauce
When we going? :-)
[Reply]
ToddziLLa 07:50 PM 12-01-2008
My wife and I just got into sushi...we love it! We're now on a mission to find the world's best. :-)
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 07:50 PM 12-01-2008
I love Unagi Image

Im with you XXX I prefer traditional sushi over what ever they try to pass as sushi now a days.
[Reply]
Budprince 07:54 PM 12-01-2008
I've done sushi a couple of times - need to have it a few more to see how much I actually enjoy it. I've had one good, one bad experience. so here's to more good experiences.
[Reply]
LordOfWu 07:55 PM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by sonic_mike:
I love Unagi Image

Im with you XXX I prefer traditional sushi over what ever they try to pass as sushi now a days.
I'm drooling, unagi is absolutely the best!
[Reply]
bigloo 08:26 PM 12-01-2008
Once a week for me. I stay away from the rolls with ton of **** in them, but I have a soft spot for spicy tuna/salmon with avocado. That said, some places make their own spicy sauce and others mix hot sauce with mayo. There is a huge difference. Some places also include the little red fish eggs in the spicy sauce which I believe is actually traditional! So go ahead XXX, eating spicy tuna does not break the rules:-)
[Reply]
bonjing 08:33 PM 12-01-2008
sonic_mike,

what place is that you have pictured?
[Reply]
poker 08:48 PM 12-01-2008
I eat strictly traditional sushi, and usually once every other week or so.
[Reply]
detroitpha357 09:13 PM 12-01-2008
Veggie 4me. I can't eat fish ):
[Reply]
Rock Star 09:19 PM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by poker:
I eat strictly traditional sushi, and usually once every other week or so.
me too..My favorite is Escolar..Straight up.
[Reply]
markem 09:25 PM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by Rock Star:
me too..My favorite is Escolar..Straight up.
hmmm ... from wikipedia:

These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhoea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
[Reply]
poker 09:30 PM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by :
...may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas.

That would translate into an embarassing "oops!"
:-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
South Shield 10:02 PM 12-01-2008
There is absolutely no better food than sushi and I am lucky to have a place close to my house in Martinez/Pleasant Hill border in the bay area called "Jo's" I just tell Jo at the bar to hook me up and I'll tell him when to stop. My current favorite right now is a kelp marinated halibut and Washu beef nigiri
[Reply]
jquirit 11:06 PM 12-01-2008
Sushi (good sushi) is one of my great vices. Living in Los Angeles gives you access to so many good sushi restaraunts, only if you're willing to wait/go out of your way. My local "hole in the wall" back in Cali was this place called Omino Sushi. I went there every weekend and the owner knew me on sight. He'd give me samples of new dishes he'd be working on and wanted my opinion on them. Awesome place, I miss it so much.

There was another sushi place in Old Town Pasadena that my friends and I were notorious at. The sushi chef there got to know us and came up with a special roll for us: the "911" roll. The story goes is that one night we were eating, predominantly, a lot of spicy tuna cut-rolls and we kept on telling him to make it hotter and hotter. By the end of the night he ran out of stuff to throw in to make it hot enough. Next week, we returned back to the place and he came prepared. He made us a special cut roll, and placed it infront of us. The spicy tuna center was an unnatural color of red.. think bright, BRIGHT red. On the outside was alternating pieces of grilled unagi and avocado. The roll was delicious, but FREAKING HOT. Come to find out, he went out during the week and bought a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce and decided to unleash it on us. Mwhahahaha. I miss that place, too.

Not a sushi place, but that has an awesome unagi donburi is Tokyo Lobby. The menu is a picture album, and if you spend enough time going through the album you'll find menu combination are cheaper ordering one way than another way!

Most often I'm a pretty traditional guy, my order usually consists of:

maguro
inari (throwback from growing up in Hawaii)
aji, otherwise saba
unagi
ankimo (rare, but Omino had it all the time)
uni (only if it's FRESH.. have had bad uni and it's not a good experience)

Also, a well done chirashi is a thing to behold. Mmmmm..

:-)
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 11:13 PM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by bonjing:
sonic_mike,

what place is that you have pictured?
its sunnyside Tokyo on Santa Rosa, I have 2 more pics here as well as the address to the place http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...alifornia.html
[Reply]
spectrrr 12:02 AM 12-02-2008
mmmm, I LOVE sushi and almost all of its related variants. I'd do it every day if there was a place near me.....

Best sushi I ever had was a few years ago, with some friends. One of them knew the chef. we didnt order anything, he just pulled out the special stuff for us :-)
to this day, I dont know what all I had... but it was GOOD.

happiest sushi time in my life was when I was studying in London one summer. Right across the street from me was a cheap sushi place. I mean, REALLY cheap. sushi for lunch EVERY day :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 14
1 2311 > Last »
Up