Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Simple Succotash
madwilliamflint 08:34 AM 11-18-2009
Somehow I made it to 40 years old without ever having had succotash. My "doesn't know it yet but he's my future brother in law" made an elaborate version back in July that really knocked my socks off.

This isn't that :-)

I experimented a little bit, looked online a lot and came up with this piece of delicious heart-stopping simplicity:

1lb of baby lima beans (I buy 'em by the frozen bag)
1lb of corn (same)
1 pint of heavy cream
5 slices of really good bacon. (This is important. I use D'artagnan, uncured, thick cut, hickory smoked.)

1) Fry up the bacon, pouring off the fat into a large pot occasionally.
2) Chop it to teeny bits (to preference really, but the smaller it is the more well distributed it will be.)
3) Put the aforementioned pot on the stove on low-medium heat
4) just dump everything in.
5) once things soften up a bit mix them around to distribute everything well
6) Leave it until done. Frequent sampling encouraged.

It looks like there's too much liquid in it at first, but it simmers down plenty.

The quality of the bacon takes on the spicing role admirably. I'm sure some gourmand could add something to this and really push it over the top.

I've made this every weekend for the last 5 weeks and kept it in the fridge. It never lasts the whole week. I'll also mix it with a bit of rice depending on my mood. It feels like I'm cheating somehow when I make it.

Enjoy (and by all means let me know if you've got a better one or think of tweaks to this.)
[Reply]
Up