Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Like Bacon? Like Bourbon? Like Ice cream? Come in!
BengalMan 07:56 PM 06-01-2009
http://bourbonbuzz.com/2009/05/26/ba...m-is-a-winner/

mmmmmmm bacon. mmmmmmm, bourbon. mmmmmmm, ice cream. All together = mmmmmmm x3.

This recipe is from the Bacon Takedown in NYC. Mike O’Neil won the first place Audience Award for his Bacon Bourbon Ice Cream.
Mike O’Neill’s Bacon Bourbon Ice Cream
1/2 lb bacon, sliced 1/4″ thick
1 cup brown sugar plus more to coat bacon
3 tablespoons butter
2 3/4 cups half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 egg yolks
1/4 cup “good” Bourbon (Mike used Knob Creek)
Lay the bacon strips on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Sprinkle enough brown sugar to cover each strip. Bake for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees until the sugar starts to melt, about 5-7 minutes. Flip bacon slices and drag through the fat/sugar. Sprinkle with more brown sugar and bake for another 7-10 minutes until crisp. Place bacon on a wire rack until cool and chill completely in refrigerator.
In a heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter over low heat. Add 1 1/2 cups of the half-and-half, 1 cup brown sugar and salt and just bring to a boil. Whisk egg yolks in a separate bowl and add a spoonful of the hot half-and-half mixture while whisking to temper. Repeat process a few more times. Add the egg yolk mixture to the half-and-half mixture in the pot and stir thoroughly. Add the Bourbon, and continue cooking until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, stirring constantly. Strain into 1 1/4 cups of cold half-and-half. Whisk thoroughly, cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 6-8 hours (or overnight).
Chop the bacon strips into small pieces. Churn into ice cream following your ice cream maker’s direction, and add the bacon in the last minute of churning. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze a few hours before serving.
[Reply]
Scottw 08:46 PM 06-01-2009
Oh goodness!
[Reply]
hotreds 08:53 PM 06-01-2009
[Reply]
BengalMan 08:55 PM 06-01-2009
lol!
[Reply]
awsmith4 08:58 PM 06-01-2009
This sounds damn tasty!!!!

Where's Stewart? This is right up his alley
[Reply]
BengalMan 09:28 PM 06-01-2009
I'm going to attempt to make this over the weekend. Going to finally put to use the ice cream maker my wife got at her bridal shower a few years ago. I'll post results.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:33 PM 06-01-2009
I don't have an ice cream maker machine. Can you just skip the last step and eat it without putting it in ice cream?
[Reply]
BengalMan 10:00 PM 06-01-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I don't have an ice cream maker machine. Can you just skip the last step and eat it without putting it in ice cream?
And just eat bacon with brown sugar on it? I guess, don't really see the point though....
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 07:13 PM 09-10-2009
Just thought I would let you know, I made this weekend before last as the "dish" I brought to a pig pickin' in SC.

Everyone loved it and there was none leftover!
[Reply]
Up