Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 25 of 99
« First < 15232425 26273575 > Last »
General Discussion>Wristwatch collectors out there?
Darrell 10:03 AM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo:
Hey Darrell,

I'd check ebay, and craigs list to try and catch a deal. From what little I know about watch winders, the cheaper models usually only have a single "speed" setting and tend to get kind of loud over time.

Just something to think about if you plan on placing one on your nightstand etc...
Thanks. What is a reasonable price for one? I don't need anything to fancy and frankly I don't care about how noisy it is, I keep my watches in my living room on my desk.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 10:59 AM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Thanks. What is a reasonable price for one? I don't need anything to fancy and frankly I don't care about how noisy it is, I keep my watches in my living room on my desk.

100 bucks is probably right around the average for a 2 watch winder. Although I found this one on Amazon for $65.

http://www.amazon.com/Diplomat-Doubl...5651723&sr=8-5
[Reply]
wayner123 11:01 AM 02-08-2010
May I ask why you want a watch winder?
[Reply]
ir13 11:05 AM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo:
100 bucks is probably right around the average for a 2 watch winder. Although I found this one on Amazon for $65.

http://www.amazon.com/Diplomat-Doubl...5651723&sr=8-5
WOW, says "SHIPS WITHIN 3-5 WEEKS"
[Reply]
e-man67 11:06 AM 02-08-2010
I have a 4 watch winder and my wife has a 2 I bought off ebay...problem is that if you buy the ebay ones for the $50-$100 they will crap out after 1-2 years. They look nice but have the cheapest chinese motors...and they get very loud too.
[Reply]
s15driftking 03:46 PM 02-08-2010
So often we criticize people for buying cheap chinese humidors and cheap chinese watches... why buy a cheap chinese watch winder?
[Reply]
s15driftking 03:47 PM 02-08-2010
get it while it's hot...

http://www.qliqo.com/

LOL
[Reply]
Wolfgang 04:51 PM 02-08-2010
Because the thing what winds your watch doesn't need to cost more than one. :-)

Cheap motors? it inst too hard to replace a motor for less than a dollar. I personally will make my own before I spend $100 on a watch winder.
[Reply]
Darrell 06:01 PM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
May I ask why you want a watch winder?
Don't I need one for when I am not wearing the watch?
[Reply]
Thrak 07:07 PM 02-08-2010
Maybe, maybe not... if your watch has many comlications and is difficult to set (moon phase, perpetual analog calendar, etc) then a winder may be a good idea.

However, if all it shows is the time then it only takes a second to shake it a few times and get it going then set the time. Same if its a time/date...

Not to mention any decent automatic has a reserve, which should last about 40hrs or more.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 10:02 PM 02-08-2010
Im looking for a watch that has second minute and hour disks that spin with the time showing the time with a line in the glass.

Like this Only without the digital part and classier.

What would this style be called?
[Reply]
spizz 11:37 PM 02-08-2010
Love Panerai's. My dream is to own one someday :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 06:21 AM 02-09-2010
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
Im looking for a watch that has second minute and hour disks that spin with the time showing the time with a line in the glass.

Like this Only without the digital part and classier.

What would this style be called?
That would be either a skeleton or tourbillion type watch. Search for both items and see what comes up. Most likely what you are looking for is a chronograph skeleton watch.
[Reply]
wayner123 06:23 AM 02-09-2010
Originally Posted by Thrak:
Maybe, maybe not... if your watch has many comlications and is difficult to set (moon phase, perpetual analog calendar, etc) then a winder may be a good idea.

However, if all it shows is the time then it only takes a second to shake it a few times and get it going then set the time. Same if its a time/date...

Not to mention any decent automatic has a reserve, which should last about 40hrs or more.
Thrak is right on here. You don't really NEED one. To me they are a luxury, which I can do without especially given the cost of a decent one, I can have another watch (or two).
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:34 AM 02-09-2010
That would be either a skeleton or tourbillion type watch. Search for both items and see what comes up. Most likely what you are looking for is a chronograph skeleton watch.
I dontthink he's looking for a skeleton/openheart.

I believe he's looking (from what i gather with hsi description) for a multi plane (rotating) dial. Read his original post. I believe he's looking for something very unique and I've see it before. Oh hell, now i'm gonna spend hours searching...
[Reply]
wayner123 09:52 AM 02-09-2010
Spinning chrono disks are on very few watches. And those watches are extremely expensive.

The cheapest one I can find is the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Chronograph Calibre Mens Watch.

I believe Concord makes one as well.
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:55 AM 02-09-2010
A few of these are very affordable

Hey wolfgang, are you looking for

something like this???

This?

This?

This?
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:59 AM 02-09-2010
Wolfgang, check out Watchismo's website, they have a ton of crazy unconventional watches there. Some are quite affordable.
[Reply]
wayner123 10:00 AM 02-09-2010
Those are closer to what wolfgang may be looking for. However those aren't true chronographs.
[Reply]
s15driftking 10:04 AM 02-09-2010
Those are closer to what wolfgang may be looking for. However those aren't true chronographs.
They might be a little closer i agree. My point was to to clarify. :-)

There was one that looked identical to the one he described and posted (but what he wanted)... i have searched but to no avail. I will keep looking.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 99
« First < 15232425 26273575 > Last »
Up