Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 38 of 38
« First < 28363738
Coffee Discussion>What are you roasting today?
Buena Fortuna 06:28 AM 04-22-2018
Roasted a blend last Sunday of equal parts Guatemala Premium Frijanes, Ethiopia Halo Bariti, and PNG Arokara in my new Aillio Bullet. Amazingly complex and fruity, medium acidity and syrupy mouthfeel. Loving this roaster! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:03 AM 04-22-2018
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna:
Roasted a blend last Sunday of equal parts Guatemala Premium Frijanes, Ethiopia Halo Bariti, and PNG Arokara in my new Aillio Bullet. Amazingly complex and fruity, medium acidity and syrupy mouthfeel. Loving this roaster! :-)
Sam! Happy Birthday! :-) :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 07:19 PM 09-28-2018
I am half thinking of getting into roasting my own because, you know, I need another hobby. No clue where to start or what I'll like. I do like Folgers Black Silk and Starbucks Komodo Dragon.....

Any advice??
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:08 PM 09-28-2018
Originally Posted by hammondc:
I am half thinking of getting into roasting my own because, you know, I need another hobby. No clue where to start or what I'll like. I do like Folgers Black Silk and Starbucks Komodo Dragon.....

Any advice??
Check out Sweet Maria's. They have a lot of different beans, including blends. You should be able to get a sampler with a number of different ones you could try.
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 07:06 AM 09-30-2018

Any advice??
It's easy to get started and agree with Chainsaw's recommendation to check out Sweet Maria's. It's by far the best source for information on how to roast coffee at home. I started roasting with a stove top Wok, then a Whirley Pop, hot air poppers, Behmor, and now use a 1K Aillio Bullet. The link below will get you started in the right direction.

https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/libra...our-own-coffee
[Reply]
tsolomon 02:35 PM 09-30-2018

Any advice??
Another vote for Sweet Maria's, I just got in 10 pounds of Kenya AA from them. I use the Behmor 1600+ that I got from them and it still works pretty well after 3 years of use.

When you start roasting you will be able to get green beans from different countries to try and see what you like. I roast 1/2 pound at a time and usually twice a week switching between different coffees every couple of days. :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 06:22 PM 10-01-2018
I got a simple Bodum pour-over from Target on clearance for $8. Huge difference already.
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 06:31 PM 10-01-2018
I got a simple Bodum pour-over from Target on clearance for $8. Huge difference already.
if you don't have one already, a good burger grinder will make the biggest difference. They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny.
[Reply]
hammondc 06:35 PM 10-01-2018
if you don't have one already, a good burger grinder will make the biggest difference. They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny.
I had a capresso years ago but it broke. Never replaced it.
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 06:53 PM 10-01-2018
I had a capresso years ago but it broke. Never replaced it.
That's a decent entry level burr grinder, I used one for 6 years before upgrading to a Breville Smart Grinder Pro. Baratza Encore is a good grinder as well unless you will be brewing espresso.
[Reply]
tsolomon 04:25 PM 10-02-2018
We switched to pour-over a year ago and it made a huge improvement in the way our coffee tasted. :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 09:12 AM 10-05-2018
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
We switched to pour-over a year ago and it made a huge improvement in the way our coffee tasted. :-)
It really does. I am still tuning my process, but I do like it. The texture is different.
[Reply]
tsolomon 11:22 AM 10-06-2018
Just past second crack, Papua New Guinea Kainantu Sero from Sweet Maria's.
[Reply]
sonic77 08:02 AM 10-17-2018
Roasting Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 09:24 PM 10-24-2018
Roasted sweet Maria’s afriques espresso blend last night. For this blend I’ve been roasting just barely up to second crack but drop immediately after sc starts.
[Reply]
hammondc 02:27 PM 11-06-2018
Is there an espresso capable grinder in the $125 range?? I will not have a need immediately, but may at some point. I hate buying twice.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 02:29 PM 11-24-2018
Is there an espresso capable grinder in the $125 range?? I will not have a need immediately, but may at some point. I hate buying twice.
People seem to like the baratza grinders. I haven’t used. I got a pretty killer deal on a lightly used Mazzer locally. One thing that I’d advise is to have a separate grinder for eapresso and for other brewing methods. Getting the espresso grinder dialed in is not something I want to do each time I want espresso. I use my espresso grinder only for espresso and my cheapo burr grinder for everything else.
[Reply]
justify-content 04:58 PM 12-13-2018
I like these
Negrita
Taina
[Reply]
Jimjazzdaddy 03:47 AM 12-24-2018
Bali Blue Moon Organic!!
[Reply]
shade 04:01 PM 01-31-2019
It's easy to get started and agree with Chainsaw's recommendation to check out Sweet Maria's. It's by far the best source for information on how to roast coffee at home. I started roasting with a stove top Wok, then a Whirley Pop, hot air poppers, Behmor, and now use a 1K Aillio Bullet. The link below will get you started in the right direction.

https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/libra...our-own-coffee
How do you like the Bullet? I watched some of Tom's videos on SMarias, and thought about ordering one until checked out the price. :-)
[Reply]
Page 38 of 38
« First < 28363738
Up