Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Coffee Discussion>Earthy Coffee?
shilala 01:03 PM 02-20-2015
I love Tanzanian Peaberry, but I always split it 50/50 with Yirgacheffe to bring up the "earthiness" and fill out the body a bit.
I've been drinking that blend for 6 or 7 years now.

I'd like to find something a bit more "earthy" than the Yirgacheff.
Light roast, lots of body, medium acid would be perfect. Even a medium roast might work, but that kind of overpowers the Peaberry.

When I say ""Earthy", think cowboy coffee or something like Tim Horton's, if Horton's weren't so darkly roasted.
Earthy like soil or dirt is what I'm after. Really.
I've thought of just throwing dirt in the basket with the Peaberry, but Weeze wouldn't drink it.

I'd just like to tweak the blend and take it up a notch.
Maybe I need to add a couple different beans to the Peaberry?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:26 PM 02-23-2015
So if it was fresh ground in the morning, would that be earthy enough for you? :-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:41 AM 02-24-2015
Hah!!! I get it!!! :-)
[Reply]
markem 10:50 AM 02-24-2015
Have you tried adding chicory?
[Reply]
galaga 11:37 AM 02-24-2015
From the site http://www.gourmetcoffeelovers.com/d...offee-tasting/

"EARTHY—Musty taste or aroma, like moist black earth or soil, cellar-like, mushroomy. May or may not be desirable. Indonesian gourmet coffees typically have a spicy, earthy flavor."

The question piqued my interest because I remember somebody on the boards having a recurring contest to see who could roast Yirgacheffe beans to have a lemon flavor and I never associated that bean with earthy. Good luck.
[Reply]
shilala 12:13 PM 02-24-2015
Never tried chicory, Mark. I don't even know what it is, but I'll find out...
Huh. I immediately recognized it. It grows along the road everywhere in PA. I have tons of pics of it, I love the flowers. I always called it "them blue flowers that come out in August".

Greg, I'll look at Indonesian beans.
Yes, Yirgacheff is supposed to be lemony. I don't get that at all. I think you have to roast it darker than the stuff I buy. I get it so light that it's dry, nearly zero oil.
The Peaberry is a little darker and I get a little oil from it.
[Reply]
shilala 12:35 PM 02-24-2015
They say I want Sumatra Mandheling. I'll give it a shot.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:55 PM 02-24-2015
This reminded me about an email reply I had from Garry at Burman coffee. I had ordered some Indonesian beans from him, which he mentions an earthy taste. I actually found it had a butterscotch flavor when I roasted it.
[Reply]
shilala 11:10 AM 03-02-2015
So, I ordered 5 lbs of Peaberry, 5 lbs of Sumatra Mandheling, and 1 lb of Dark Sumatra Mandheling.
I think the dark will work better than the light roast, but I didn't want to get carried off. I like a light roast because the dark always tastes bitter to me. I'm super-sensitive to bitters and have to put salt in almost any coffee but my own.

I'll try the 2 blends and see how it goes.
I should have gotten some Yirgacheffe, too. Maybe mix 3 or 4 for my blend.

That'll give me something to obsess about later. :-)
[Reply]
Kendalltbt 10:08 AM 09-29-2016
I have tested coffee with chicory. I love the taste of it.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:27 PM 09-30-2016
It's been a year and a half, Scott, try any of it yet? :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:38 PM 09-30-2016
:-)
[Reply]
Weelok 12:03 AM 10-01-2016
If you don't like bitter, I am not sure you would care for chicory as it has a distinct bitterness to its flavor but as in all things, it's your palate and who knows, you might like it. I don't particularly care for it myself but it was pretty popular circa 2000 in the South and still may be, I am ignorant on that as I don't spend much time in the South lately.

I can tell you, you'll either love chicory or not care for it as it's very distinctive. Interestingly enough, chicory got a resurgence back in the 80's and it was quite popular in the US. It kind of faded out after 2000 and I don't hear of it much these days.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 08:52 AM 10-01-2016
Chicory is a traditional addition in New Orleans. Community Coffee has some blends with it.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:53 AM 10-01-2016
Yup, New Orleans is the only place I've had chicory. I enjoyed it, kind of like drinking a Bolivar.
[Reply]
Up