Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 126 of 270
« First < 2676116124125126 127128136176226 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
forgop 08:14 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
I often wonder who EATS all that stuff.
I usually eat for a week each time I fire up the WSM, but today's smoke is for a "pitch in" lunch with 6 of my nursing classmates and clinical instructor. They've been tortured enough watching me bring in ribs to eat for lunch week after week. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 12:32 PM 07-19-2011
Public Service Announcement: Be sure to wear shoes when getting the WSM going with a chimney. Let's just say an unseen piece of charcoal laying beside the smoker a few minutes later is quite hot.
[Reply]
ucla695 01:11 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Public Service Announcement: Be sure to wear shoes when getting the WSM going with a chimney. Let's just say an unseen piece of charcoal laying beside the smoker a few minutes later is quite hot.
Ouch. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 05:44 PM 07-19-2011
No pics. But worth sharing.
Beef Jerky
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:47 PM 07-19-2011
The jerky sounds good Peter. How thick did you slice it?
[Reply]
forgop 06:00 PM 07-19-2011
Here are the 9 racks of BBR's off of the smoker. The downside to today's smoke is that it seems my remote thermometer failed to "update" as temps were holding nicely and I went inside for a while since it was only ~ 95 degrees today and failed to alarm me to the 260-265 temps going on for at least 60-90 minutes. They're a little dry. :-)
Attached: ribs.jpg (84.4 KB) 
[Reply]
pnoon 06:44 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
The jerky sounds good Peter. How thick did you slice it?
between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.
I wouldn't go more than 1/4"
[Reply]
ucla695 07:38 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Here are the 9 racks of BBR's off of the smoker. The downside to today's smoke is that it seems my remote thermometer failed to "update" as temps were holding nicely and I went inside for a while since it was only ~ 95 degrees today and failed to alarm me to the 260-265 temps going on for at least 60-90 minutes. They're a little dry. :-)
Those still look delicious. What remote thermometer were you using? I've had problems with my Maverick ET-73 doing that and upgraded to the ET-732.
[Reply]
OLS 11:14 AM 07-21-2011
Dry AND out of focus, haha.

I am not sure what I am doing right, but I rarely get too much retraction off the bone. I think it is that last 15-25 degrees
past where I range, about 220 for the entire cook. They come out bursting with juice and as tender as anything I have
had like it. But you can BARELY see the tips of the bones protruding. I would say that yes, it is unwise to be that high.
But I have no thermometer, I just check on em every hour, haha.

---edit----
good thing you are working in a hospital....you are going to need REGULAR cholesterol checks.
[Reply]
forgop 03:48 PM 07-21-2011
Dry AND out of focus, haha.

I am not sure what I am doing right, but I rarely get too much retraction off the bone. I think it is that last 15-25 degrees
past where I range, about 220 for the entire cook. They come out bursting with juice and as tender as anything I have
had like it. But you can BARELY see the tips of the bones protruding. I would say that yes, it is unwise to be that high.
But I have no thermometer, I just check on em every hour, haha.

---edit----
good thing you are working in a hospital....you are going to need REGULAR cholesterol checks.
I'm backing off the atkins for awhile now and going back to WW. Won't be firing up the smoker for awhile now.
[Reply]
OLS 10:51 AM 07-23-2011
Bummer.....More reasons for the Smoker thread to be slow...:-)

BUT here is an offering, something MUST be going around, my pics are blurry TOO.
I think it's a camera virus.

Cranked up 8 chicken legs and a small butt today. I wanted to show my landlady that I appreciate
her getting off her ass a lot lately and spraying down the patio and trying to generally hold up her end of
the bargain around here. So i gave her 4 chicken legs and a small butt. I usually give her scraps, barely a tenth
of what I make for myself. i used to give her a half a rack of ribs every weekend, but she started pissing me off.

Where was I?? Oh yeah...believe it or not, I remembered to take PIX, lol. Well the chicken legs almost got away....
PS...the amazing thing about the chicken legs was, I cooked em at such a high temp, the skin was CRISPY AND smoked!
Freaking victory, and a first for me. Downside? I smoked em too long and they were delicious, but the kind of
overdone that makes the meat a little mushy. I like it fine like that, but I coulda pulled em an hour earlier and enjoyed
the texture more. but the taste was.......we need an orgasm smilie.

I can't believe I gave up that butt without even a NIBBLE.
Attached: Jul23 butt1.jpg (119.9 KB) Jul23 butt2.jpg (111.6 KB) Jul23chiknlgs.jpg (96.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:15 PM 07-23-2011
Got a 5.5lb flat end today that'll go on the smoker tomorrow. I don't think my Bradley will get hot enough to do a H&F cooking method, but I"ll crank it as high as I can and see what happens.
[Reply]
fxpose 11:29 AM 07-25-2011
I cooked up some chicken thighs on my new UDS.
Attached: P1060096.jpg (104.2 KB) P1060098.jpg (107.8 KB) 
[Reply]
OLS 06:01 PM 07-25-2011
That's a particularly sweet rendition of the old UDS.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:43 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by fxpose:
Looking good! :-)
[Reply]
OLS 06:40 AM 07-29-2011
OMG it is the weekend already! As little as I do on a Friday, I call it the weekend. This weekend is special, because
I have to be VERY careful not to rush it or waste it. I am in the Smokies all next week, but I can't arrive before Monday
morning, so there is no need to rush through the weekend to hurry up and get the Smokies here faster. I need to
cook up 4 racks of BBRs on Sunday, I have a butt pulled and seasoned and sauced in the freezer to take with me, and
I might cold smoke some catfish after I am all done with the meat. The smoker gets a real workout this weekend. I might
get by the Kroooger store and check on reduced meat and have a marathon Smokeapalooza.
[Reply]
BigAsh 09:16 AM 07-29-2011

...the amazing thing about the chicken legs was, I cooked em at such a high temp, the skin was CRISPY AND smoked!
Freaking victory, and a first for me. Downside? I smoked em too long and they were delicious, but the kind of
overdone that makes the meat a little mushy. I like it fine like that, but I coulda pulled em an hour earlier and enjoyed
the texture more. but the taste was.......we need an orgasm smilie.

I can't believe I gave up that butt without even a NIBBLE.

WINNER WINNER!....Crispy Smoked Chicken Legs Dinner!!....that's a feat I've yet to pull off on the smoker

Originally Posted by fxpose:

Looked mighty tasty!!
[Reply]
OLS 08:09 AM 07-30-2011
In a development sure to make Keith BigAsh whimper, I picked up a dozen chicken legs today, So I am all set now to make
it that much worse in the morning. I was going to try for crispy skin again, but it will be tough with other meats on the
grate to get the temps up too high. I don't want to ruin 60 bucks worth of meat to cook 4 dollars worth of chicken
legs to perfection, lol.

I also saw they had some cross-cut beef short ribs marked down, and a rack of cut dino-bone beef ribs just covered with meat
so I had to pick those up as well. It's gonna be a multi-species smoke for the Smokies.
[Reply]
OLS 05:12 PM 07-30-2011
Yummy yummy. Chicken legs and short ribs, done to a turn!
Attached: chicken legs and Shortribs.jpg (83.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:30 AM 07-31-2011
Did about six pounds of beef jerky yesterday. 3 hours in the smoke with mesquite and finished off in the dehydrator.

That is one sweet lookin' UDS by the way!!!
[Reply]
Page 126 of 270
« First < 2676116124125126 127128136176226 > Last »
Up