Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vinotemp drawer/shelf for Vinotemp by GolfNut
forgop 02:49 PM 02-09-2011
I was like a kid in the candy store seeing the FedEx truck leave as I knew I was about to unwrap some goodies from Forrest. I received a drawer and a single shelf from him-the drawer being a "3 row" type in terms of the number of slots (height) in the Vinotemp. Packing was great-nothing was going to damage these things, well at least unless the boxes were crushed or something.

The drawer and shelf fit was perfect. I must give a lot of credit to the guy who took such great measurements for Forrest. :-)

Very nicely crafted products and if you're looking for some custom drawers/shelves, Forrest will do an outstanding job at a very reasonable price. Here are some initial pics and I'll have to get another when I've filled it up.

:-):-):-)
Attached: drawer.JPG (80.8 KB) shelf.JPG (88.4 KB) vino.JPG (96.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Zeuceone 03:47 PM 02-09-2011
i always wondered if you could keep wine and cigars together in a vinotemp. is it safe for the cigars?
[Reply]
76GTFan 04:05 PM 02-09-2011
Very nice! I am waiting anxiously for mine. Forrest really is a good BOTL. I really hope to get some business coming his way.
[Reply]
forgop 04:06 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
i always wondered if you could keep wine and cigars together in a vinotemp. is it safe for the cigars?
Don't know why not. It's the temp/RH you have to be concerned about. Thus maintains 67 degrees/70% RH like a charm. It might not be the most optimal conditions for the vino, but I can live with that.
[Reply]
Montano 04:12 PM 02-09-2011
My drawers are set to arrive tomorrow :-)
[Reply]
forgop 04:56 PM 02-09-2011
FYI-the height of this drawer fit 6 torpedo shaped cigars perfectly to the top edge. While I'm filling the drawer up with singles, I'm going to put blank labels on everything so I can track the age as well.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 04:57 PM 02-09-2011
Thanks for the review/pictures, I'm extra-happy I ordered from Forrest!
[Reply]
SMITTY66 05:08 PM 02-09-2011
I was looking into a v temp for a while and would love to have one someday. For now I just have a 160 quart cooler lined with spanish cedar and spanish cedar shelves. It is working greats so far. Im using the RH beads and Bovade packs to regulate the humidity and it is keeping a constant 72. Not nearly as nice as a vino temp but doing the job so far!
[Reply]
76GTFan 05:14 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by SMITTY66:
I was looking into a v temp for a while and would love to have one someday. For now I just have a 160 quart cooler lined with spanish cedar and spanish cedar shelves. It is working greats so far. Im using the RH beads and Bovade packs to regulate the humidity and it is keeping a constant 72. Not nearly as nice as a vino temp but doing the job so far!
I don't blame you. I was lucky and bought mine at a yard sale for 40 bucks. It takes a nice budget to fork out the 200-300 bucks. Before that I was perfectly happy with a cooler. I will still use a cooler for my boxes.
[Reply]
Giants85 06:29 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Don't know why not. It's the temp/RH you have to be concerned about. Thus maintains 67 degrees/70% RH like a charm. It might not be the most optimal conditions for the vino, but I can live with that.
I believe the general consensus is that the cigars would be fine but you could run the risk of certain flavors being imparted into the wine through the cork (from the cigars). And now that I'm thinking about it again, I don't see why this wouldn't hold true if it were reversed. Meaning some flavors from the wine could impart into the cigars through the cork.

Short term probably no harm but over longer periods of time I'm sure the effects would be greater.

Great looking drawers though:-)
[Reply]
TBone 07:35 PM 02-09-2011
Shelves look good...nice job Forrest
[Reply]
smokinpeace 07:04 AM 02-10-2011
And you didn't have to wait 9 months from Chasidor. Nice shelves.
[Reply]
captain53 07:06 AM 02-10-2011
Pictures show some very nice craftsmanship and style! Great Work.:-)
[Reply]
forgop 07:24 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Giants85:
I believe the general consensus is that the cigars would be fine but you could run the risk of certain flavors being imparted into the wine through the cork (from the cigars). And now that I'm thinking about it again, I don't see why this wouldn't hold true if it were reversed. Meaning some flavors from the wine could impart into the cigars through the cork.

Short term probably no harm but over longer periods of time I'm sure the effects would be greater.

Great looking drawers though:-)
In theory, I could understand this, but I don't think this would happen. In order for you to have seepage from the wine bottles, you'd have to have conditions that would permit it to occur. My understanding is that it would call for high temperature/low RH conditions. With RH being high, the cork will be swollen and not permit this to happen. While the theory explains the risk, the actual science and conditions within the controlled environment wouldn't permit the above scenario to happen IMO.
[Reply]
GolfNut 05:08 PM 02-10-2011
Glad you're happy Duane. Thanks for all the kind words folks. I'm having fun building them. :-)
[Reply]
Up