Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Traveldor Seasoning
Krish the Fish 12:55 AM 02-09-2011
It's late and I'm about to fall asleep, but I got a new traveldor today, and I was wondering if anyone else seasons theirs? Mine has an aluminum shell, but it's got thick spanish cedar on the interior, and I figured I should probably season it to keep it (and my 'gars) going steady for a while. Do you think it's a worthwhile effort to season my travel humidor? Other than the rare trip (couple times a year), the most use it will probably see will be to herfs or just down to smoke at a buddy's.

Also, it came with a 70% Credo, but I prefer 65% (have 2 lbs of 65% HF beads in my wineador). Should I use HF bead tubes, the Credo "Le Tube" (as it's called, or Boveda packs for my humidor? Here's a stock pic of what it looks like (I have pics too, will fish them up in the morning):

Thanks in advance!

Krish
[Reply]
longknocker 03:32 AM 02-09-2011
Doesn't Need Seasoning. I use one 65RH Boveda Pack In My 40 Ct. Cigar Caddy. Stays A Solid 65 RH.:-)
[Reply]
jkim05 05:43 AM 02-09-2011
It's air tight and a very small volume, so no seasoning required
[Reply]
taltos 06:14 AM 02-09-2011
I have a wooden cigar case that I leave opened in one of my coolers that is maintained at 60% and I take it out when I need to use it. I keep my 15 count Cigar Caddy stocked with cigars for going out on my porch or to friends' houses and I use a couple of drops of water on the clay humidifier in the lid. Never a problem.
[Reply]
RonC 06:49 AM 02-09-2011
season it slowly. Put a 72% Boveda in there, close it, and dont open it for a week.
[Reply]
Bill86 10:23 AM 02-09-2011
If and when I get a travel humi I'm just grabbing a heartfelt bead tube and tossing it in there. I would imagine this is the easiest and most effective thing to do.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:39 AM 02-09-2011
Depending upon how long I am going to be using my cigar caddy (and which size caddy) I put in a 1 oz or 2 oz HCM Soft Bead Stick. The 1 oz is the size of a Petite Corona and the 2 oz is about the size of the Corona. They fit pretty well in the trays and since they are dry to the touch (like a Boveda Pack) it does matter if the cigars come into contact with them.
[Reply]
smokinpeace 10:41 AM 02-09-2011
I agree with those who say it doesn't need to be seasoned. I would use a Heartfealt tube or a Boveda pack.
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 04:53 PM 02-10-2011
Here were those pics that I promised, along with an update:

(I took the Credo 70% "Le Tube" out)

I ended up throwing a sponge in there and seasoning it like my desktops. Figured that it wouldn't hurt. It's been two days and the ambient in the traveldor is 64%. I'll wait till it breaks 70+% and then I'll put 2 medium bead tubes in there. What do y'all think about this plan?
[Reply]
bobarian 05:27 PM 02-10-2011
64% is perfect for me.

One tube should be more than sufficient. :-)
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 06:18 PM 02-10-2011
Yeah I think you're right, 2 medium tubes would be overkill. I'll just stick with the one.

Thanks! :-)
[Reply]
RonC 07:58 PM 02-10-2011
this is not a plastic cigar caddy. it has a wood insert. If that wood is drier than the cigars that go in the case, the wood will suck moisture out of the cigars. season that travel humidor .
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 08:58 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by RonC:
this is not a plastic cigar caddy. it has a wood insert. If that wood is drier than the cigars that go in the case, the wood will suck moisture out of the cigars. season that travel humidor .
This is what I assumed initially, which is why I figured it would be best to add pictures. It's being seasoned right now and should hopefully be done by tomorrow, before I go off to the b&m. :-)

Thanks guys!

(BTW: if anyone is interested in the humidor, it is the "Rimowa Travel Humidor". You can't order it online, but I phone-ordered it from Rimowa's Beverly Hills flagship store. I couldn't find much information about it online, as it appears not many people buy it...)
[Reply]
Up