Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>wood type for vino drawers?
stearns 06:34 AM 01-21-2011
hey guys,

im having a friend of mine who is a very skilled carpenter make me some trays for my vino, only issue is he's never done humidor anything before. what type of wood should i have him make them out of? im sure spanish cedar is ideal but its not really available (at least cheap) around me, dont want to use something that will end up damaging my cigars. any other advice will be gladly accepted as well. thanks for the help :-)

stearns
[Reply]
Chingas 06:36 AM 01-21-2011
Outside of Cedar, like you said. How about a had wood like oak or mahogany. Just be sure to seal it.
[Reply]
massphatness 06:38 AM 01-21-2011
Plywood?
[Reply]
kydsid 06:43 AM 01-21-2011
hardwoods, mahagony was a fav before spanish cedar in humidors if memory serves. dont use any softwoods or especially american cedar or creosote.

to me though the benefits of spanish cedar are worth the cost, at least think about lining the drawers with it. maybe one of the builders here like waxing moon or humidor mister can give some more advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Volusianator 10:09 AM 01-21-2011
Spanish Cedar & Mahogany are most common and the most efficient, do NOT seal the wood, the wood will absorb moisture helping to maintain RH. Oak is not a good wood for humidor interiors as it moves a lot with humidity.
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 02:16 PM 01-21-2011
Also there's online wood sales where you can get decent deals on Spanish Cedar. Not real great prices, but hey - you do what you have to if you want it done right! Just my :-) worth.

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em :-)
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 02:43 PM 01-21-2011
Further info - I got the 1/4" thick Spanish Cedar I used to line an Igloodor from Woodworker's Supply - www.woodworker.com

Not real cheap but good quality and great customer service.
[Reply]
STEVE S 02:50 PM 01-21-2011
Spanish Cedar is the way to go. :-)
[Reply]
captain53 03:57 PM 01-21-2011
Spanish Cedar is far and above the best choice and mahogony is about the only acceptable alternative. Quite frankly ChasDen will build you some beautiful drawers for not much more than you can buy the Spanish Cedar for in small quantities - takes a while to get them though as he stays very busy but worth the wait.

If you are not able to use Spanish Cedar my best suggestion would be not to use drawers but just stack some good unfinished spanish cedar cigar boxes in there. You can get boxes at most B&M's and find some you like just ask them to hold on to those for you as they become available. :-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 05:02 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by captain53:
Spanish Cedar is far and above the best choice and mahogony is about the only acceptable alternative.
Actually Spanish Cedar is in the Mahogany family.
[Reply]
thebayratt 12:37 PM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Plywood?
Wouldn't suggest plywood. There are glues in the wood that bond the layers of wood together. Unless you get an exterior plyood the wood would come appart eventually with the moisture and swell up. The exterior wood, has glues that you don't want around your cigars.

Spanish Cedar is the way to go.
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 01:08 PM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
Wouldn't suggest plywood. There are glues in the wood that bond the layers of wood together. Unless you get an exterior plyood the wood would come appart eventually with the moisture and swell up. The exterior wood, has glues that you don't want around your cigars.

Spanish Cedar is the way to go.
To say nothing about the flavours the glues used to bind the plywood together may impart. Maybe even slightly toxic - I would not use plywood!
[Reply]
Chingas 07:48 AM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
Spanish Cedar & Mahogany are most common and the most efficient, do NOT seal the wood, the wood will absorb moisture helping to maintain RH. Oak is not a good wood for humidor interiors as it moves a lot with humidity.
Thanks Wade. I thought I anything was used outside of Spanish Cedar then you should seal it. You are the craftsman, so I know you know what's right. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :-)
[Reply]
Up