Page 21 of 42
« First < 11192021 222331 > Last »
Good Eats>Sous vide
T.G 09:19 AM 02-06-2017
Anova to be acquired by Electrolux...

https://www.cnet.com/news/electrolux...r-250-million/
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:51 AM 02-06-2017
No pics, but did a NY strip steak Saturday. I bought the whole, uncut piece, about 6.5lbs. Was able to get 5, 2 finger width steaks out of it. :-) Sous vide one up for dinner, 131F for 1:30. Salted, then seared in a hot cast iron pan. Had it with some sauteed wild mushrooms and a healthy pour of a Chilean wine. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 01:56 PM 02-06-2017
Originally Posted by T.G:
Anova to be acquired by Electrolux...

https://www.cnet.com/news/electrolux...r-250-million/
Interesting

Originally Posted by :
Anova has also created a precision oven that's set for a summer 2017 release; the countertop oven will sear, convection bake, steam cook and connect to the company's precision cookers

[Reply]
T.G 02:17 PM 02-06-2017
Yeah, that's the "Anova Precision Oven". Details on it and what it can actually do are still very vague at the current time. They've been talking about it for 6 months now, maybe longer, but I don't think a working prototype has even been shown yet. Not sure if steam cook actually means true CVap technology or just some sort of moisture injection, if that feature even makes it to the final product. Without that, it's just a wi-fi enabled toaster.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:10 PM 02-07-2017
I did a Tri Tip in the Sous Vide today and used a different recipe:

Smoked Paprika Tri Tip

INGREDIENTS
1 grass-fed tri tip roast
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1½ tsp coriander
2 Tbsp dried oregano
1½ Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1½ Tbsp sea salt
2 tsp black pepper, ground
1 Tbsp tallow for searing (I did not have tallow, so I used lard)

INSTRUCTIONS
Add all spices to a medium sized mixing bowl and combine thoroughly creating the rub.

Liberally coat tri tip with the rub ensuring an even coating overall.

Let it rest on the counter to allow it to come to room temperature.

Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes.

Once hot, add tallow to skillet and sear tri tip for 5 minutes per side or until a nice crust develops.

Place tri tip in vacuum bag and Sous Vide for 6-8 hours at 130° (Medium Rare).

Normally, I sear the meat after taking it out of the bath, but since I seared these before the bath, I skipped the post-bath sear.

It was very tasty!

After applying the rub:

After searing:

In the Bath:

After the Bath:

All sliced up:
Attached: Tri Tip After Rub.jpg (120.5 KB) Tri Tip After Sear.jpg (118.1 KB) Tri Tip In Sous Vide.jpg (69.0 KB) Tri Tip After Sous Vide.jpg (63.6 KB) Tri Tip Sliced.jpg (80.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:20 PM 02-07-2017
I'm not saying I'd smack my grandma for a taste of that...but I'm not saying I wouldn't. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:30 PM 02-12-2017
Just started a lambchetta. Shooting for 4.5 hours at 134°F. Then into a 475F oven to crisp up the outside.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:31 PM 02-12-2017
I did 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with a little EVOO, salt, pepper and sprig of rosemary for 90 minutes at 146°.

They came out fantastic -- good texture, juicy and tasted great!

Attached: chicken before bath.jpg (83.7 KB) chicken after bath.jpg (83.3 KB) chicken sliced.jpg (64.4 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 08:28 AM 02-13-2017
I finally got around to making the SV egg bites that everyone has been going nuts over ever since Charbucks put them on their menu.

Not bad. It's basically a quiche in a cup, but due to the SV it's a very velvety smooth texture, unlike any other egg preparation I've ever had.

Here's a link to their example recopies
https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homem...ide-egg-bites/

I just kind of winged the ingredients together. Per 8 oz wide-mouth mason jar it went something like spray jar with PAM, 2 eggs whisked with milk, poured over some fried salami, devil chilies, a bit of feta cheese and a small spoon (1/2 tsp I'd guess) of homemade pesto. 172F for 90-95 minutes.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:54 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by T.G:
I finally got around to making the SV egg bites that everyone has been going nuts over ever since Charbucks put them on their menu.

Not bad. It's basically a quiche in a cup, but due to the SV it's a very velvety smooth texture, unlike any other egg preparation I've ever had.

Here's a link to their example recopies
https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homem...ide-egg-bites/

I just kind of winged the ingredients together. Per 8 oz wide-mouth mason jar it went something like spray jar with PAM, 2 eggs whisked with milk, poured over some fried salami, devil chilies, a bit of feta cheese and a small spoon (1/2 tsp I'd guess) of homemade pesto. 172F for 90-95 minutes.
Gonna have to try these!
:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:56 AM 02-13-2017
Oh man those eggs sound good.
[Reply]
Brlesq 01:02 PM 02-13-2017
Going to try doing lobster tails in the sous vide for Valentine's day. Local grocery store had 5oz cold water tails on sale for $4.99 each, so 6 of those and we'll have almost 2 lbs of lobster! What I like about this recipe is that there is no need to sear at the end. Just cut open pouch and serve!
[Reply]
pnoon 01:58 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Brlesq:
Going to try doing lobster tails in the sous vide for Valentine's day. Local grocery store had 5oz cold water tails on sale for $4.99 each, so 6 of those and we'll have almost 2 lbs of lobster! What I like about this recipe is that there is no need to sear at the end. Just cut open pouch and serve!
Be sure and share with us specifically how you prepared them and your results.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:58 AM 02-14-2017
So I gave soft-boiled eggs a try this morning. 167 for 14 minutes.
Served on a slice of buttered toast. Nothing fancy. (OK. The toast was my homemade pumpernickel bread.) It was quite delicious.

A couple of observations. First, the yolks, while still soft, were pretty much set. I prefer the yolks to be runny. Second, most of the egg poured out of the shell rather easily. However, some did adhere to the shell interior. I used a teaspoon to scoop out the remaining white.

I have used seriouseats.com as my primary source for information about sous vide cooking. I found this article to be quite interesting. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ched-eggs.html

Next time I plan to try the eggs at 145 for 45-60 minutes.
[Reply]
Brlesq 05:51 PM 02-14-2017
The 5 oz. lobster tails were a big success. I cooked them for 30 minutes at 132F. Soft texture and a lot less chewy than a boiled or broiled one. As a Northeasterner, I prefer them to have a little more firmness (like what you get served in Maine), so next time I'm taking them up to 145F to see what difference it makes. But my wife absolutely adored them at 132F, and after all, it was Valentines Day!

I followed the directions from the Anova Food Lab: https://anovaculinary.com/sous-vide-...eid=63957c2d39

And the par boiling first was key! Meat popped right out of the shells with no waste. A great technique. We don't care much for Tarragon, so in the bag I added half a stick of butter, a little garlic and a tsp of lemon juice. Flavor was terrific. And here is the finished product:

ImageImage
[Reply]
pnoon 05:59 PM 02-14-2017
Another one on my "must try" list.

Thanks, Bruce.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:26 PM 02-14-2017
:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:45 PM 02-14-2017
They look awesome!
[Reply]