Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Good Eats>Gefilte Fish - געפֿילטע פֿיש
nozero 01:51 PM 11-15-2008
Mmmm! Finally got my wife to pick some up at the grocery store. Just had some with a little white horseraddish on the side. I've not had any of this since I was about 17. It's not for everybody, but I love it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gefilte_fish
[Reply]
Neuromancer 01:54 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by nozero:
Mmmm! Finally got my wife to pick some up at the grocery store. Just had some with a little white horseraddish on the side...
You ought to try it with wasabi..it's really fantastic then..."member of the tribe," huh?
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 01:58 PM 11-15-2008
did wiki say it was fish balls?
[Reply]
nozero 02:06 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by Neuromancer:
You ought to try it with wasabi..it's really fantastic then..."member of the tribe," huh?
Good idea, I'll try it. The horseradish was Manishevitz "creamy", not near hot. And yes, I'm Jewish if that's what you mean?

Originally Posted by Big Vito:
did wiki say it was fish balls?
It is poached fish patties or balls made from a mixture of ground deboned fish, mostly carp. It's the only carp I've ever liked.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 02:07 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by nozero:
Good idea, I'll try it. The horseradish was Manishevitz "creamy", not near hot.

It is poached fish patties or balls made from a mixture of ground deboned fish, mostly carp. It's the only carp I've ever liked.
someday I will try it :-)
[Reply]
mash 02:15 PM 11-15-2008
You know, I remember eating gefilte fish, chopped liver and tongue as a kid. How the hell did I do that?
[Reply]
nozero 02:24 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by mash:
You know, I remember eating gefilte fish, chopped liver and tongue as a kid. How the hell did I do that?
Never developed a taste for chopped liver and have not ever tried tongue and probably won't. I like lox too, but no pickled herring please.
[Reply]
Footbag 02:25 PM 11-15-2008
I love my horseradish with a little Gefilte fish on the side!
[Reply]
68TriShield 02:44 PM 11-15-2008
Soul food Bro...mm mm Lox Wings and Potato's...:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 03:05 PM 11-15-2008
Sounds OK to me. :-)
[Reply]
Stog-a-Boy 04:52 PM 11-15-2008
I love the stuff...especially with super hot horseradish.
[Reply]
Scottw 04:53 PM 11-15-2008
I went gefilte fishing this morning, didn't catch sh^t!
[Reply]
bigloo 02:07 AM 11-16-2008
My mom used to make this **** before most jewish holidays. The house would stink of fish. My dad and one brother loved it. Myself and my other brother feared it. Alot of things are an aquired taste, gefilte fish is something you know right away if you like, it is like jellied fish balls made from multiple fishes, dam, just reading this I can smell that thick fish smell again:-) ... next up, pickled herring, discuss amongst yourselves.
[Reply]
n3uka 07:37 AM 11-16-2008
Try Boars Head horseradish. Last time I had it, it was super hot.
First time I shed a tear eating gefilte fish.

Gonna have to try it with wasabi now.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:33 AM 11-16-2008
Not a fan of the pre-made stuff. The fish jelly it is packed in is just awful...

Never had homemade gefilte fish.

Love homemade horseradish though!

Try using fresh horseradish. Shred it and use like fresh garlic in cooking. It cooks very mild in oil.
[Reply]
M1903A1 10:39 AM 11-16-2008
What you don't know doesn't hurt you. I enjoyed tongue the first (and only) time I tried it...until I found out what it was! :-)

Good to hear the horseradish recommendations...nothing goes better with rare roast beef! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:30 AM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by M1903A1:
What you don't know doesn't hurt you. I enjoyed tongue the first (and only) time I tried it...until I found out what it was! :-)
Tongue tastes like brisket.
[Reply]
tobii3 02:44 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
I went gefilte fishing this morning, didn't catch sh^t!

Here's a guy that caught a 40 pounder!!!

:-)
[Reply]
Scottw 03:14 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by tobii3:
Here's a guy that caught a 40 pounder!!!

:-)
Lucky bastage!!! Mazel Tov!!
[Reply]
M1903A1 09:16 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Tongue tastes like brisket.
Yeah, like forty-grit brisket!:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up